• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Removing exposed shifter mesh on V6 manual

Calran

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Have any current Emira owners tried removing the mesh around the exposed gear mechanism yet and how easy is it to do?

I feel like it distracts from the visual a bit, so if easy to remove, I would definitely do it.

Can’t imagine that would effect any warranty’s etc …….

Thanks

Mistral

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Have any current Emira owners tried removing the mesh around the exposed gear mechanism yet and how easy is it to do?

I feel like it distracts from the visual a bit, so if easy to remove, I would definitely do it.

Can’t imagine that would effect any warranty’s etc …….

Thanks
When you're sitting in the car, in either seat, you can't see it, unless you're into doing contortions, which if you're driving, is something you really wouldn't want to do. It's also back-lit for when you get in and out, when you do see it. The mesh doesn't really impact on the view so why would you want to remove it? I thought that the whole idea was to drive it.

OP
C

Calran

Emira Fan
Reaction score
When you're sitting in the car, in either seat, you can't see it, unless you're into doing contortions, which if you're driving, is something you really wouldn't want to do. It's also back-lit for when you get in and out, when you do see it. The mesh doesn't really impact on the view so why would you want to remove it? I thought that the whole idea was to drive it.
I’ll have to have a proper look when I get mine

When I did the test drive, personally I thought the mesh did obstruct the view of the mechanism and it’s a cool feature so why not show it in all its glory?

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score

Is it only backlit when the doors open?

Chadder

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I’ll have to have a proper look when I get mine

When I did the test drive, personally I thought the mesh did obstruct the view of the mechanism and it’s a cool feature so why not show it in all its glory?
Need to put an led light in there 👍👌

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I haven't checked on a production car but from looking on a prototype I believe you can remove part of the trim around the shifter, the shift gaiter and the mesh plus its surrounding trim to get a completely open mechanism.

It may then need a new piece of trim or remove (possibly cut) the mesh from the surround and replace that as bare trim.

Someone may be able to confirm this from the service manual.

OP
C

Calran

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I haven't checked on a production car but from looking on a prototype I believe you can remove part of the trim around the shifter, the shift gaiter and the mesh plus its surrounding trim to get a completely open mechanism.

It may then need a new piece of trim or remove (possibly cut) the mesh from the surround and replace that as bare trim.

Good to hear. If easy job, think I’ll do this

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

The service manual acts like this is a huge job that requires the whole console to come out. I am skeptical that that is true.

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I suspect a trim ring of some kind may be needed to "finish" the Emira shifter opening after removing the shift boot. But this is a worthwhile goal I think.

Same style linkage in a converted V6 Exige:
CEB77A16-93CC-44AC-B86D-0E24799D3B6B.jpeg.3cfaa0989b8aa2cc3017ae051c8871c3~2.jpeg

Magicman

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I suspect a trim ring of some kind may be needed to "finish" the Emira shifter opening after removing the shift boot. But this is a worthwhile goal I think.

View attachment 23988
Something like that would be mega

The gator has always been a weekspot of the interior, it feels cheap in an otherwise very premium feel cabin

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

View attachment 23988
I would be worried about dropping my chicken nuggets in there.