Removal of fugly warning stickers on Sun Visors?

crestima

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I'm not sure if regulations of other countries (ex-USA) impose the display of fugly mandatory warning stickers that are slapped on visors of every motor vehicle sold in this country, so I realize that this subject may not be applicable to all, and if it's not the case in your country, then consider yourself lucky. My utter dislike of these stickers has made me successfully removed them from every car I have owned to date, not necessarily on my first day of ownership, but for sure on the following day. So I performed a filter search to find out if this matter had already been covered here, but found nothing. Am I really alone in my hate of these stickers? Or, has this issue, unbeknownst to me, been covered elsewhere in other Lotus forums?

I have yet to receive my Emira, thus I haven't yet been able to assess this firsthand, but I'd like to manage my expectations and was wondering if any of you have already removed your warning stickers, are contemplating doing so, or... (please say no!) have tried but failed in your attempt. Also, Is the visor finished in Alcantara, as is the roof liner ? or, is it napa/leather, viny or plastic? I ask this because generally, removing them from alcantara can prove to be a bitch. I understand that the degree of difficulty will also depend on the type of label and adhesive used to apply it so your input and comments are appreciated.

Yep, me too.
Used to remove them from my motorbikes - especially the ones on the tank!

Yep, me too.
Used to remove them from my motorbikes - especially the ones on the tank!
i have removed them from vinyl or leather sun visors. I have been thinking of removing them but was afraid of damaging the cloth. Now i am going to cover the stickers with a Matt Black piece Cricket removeable vinyl the same size as the sticker.

I have yet to receive my Emira, thus I haven't yet been able to assess this firsthand, but I'd like to manage my expectations and was wondering if any of you have already removed your warning stickers, are contemplating doing so, or... (please say no!) have tried but failed in your attempt. Also, Is the visor finished in Alcantara, as is the roof liner ? or, is it napa/leather, viny or plastic? I ask this because generally, removing them from alcantara can prove to be a bitch. I understand that the degree of difficulty will also depend on the type of label and adhesive used to apply it so your input and comments are appreciated.
The visor is finished in Alcantara. Should be an easy thing to recover, or even slip-cover, if desired. Alcantara (sold in US as "ultrasuede") isn't that expensive actually.

i have removed them from vinyl or leather sun visors. I have been thinking of removing them but was afraid of damaging the cloth. Now i am going to cover the stickers with a Matt Black piece Cricket removeable vinyl the same size as the sticker.
If you're going that route, perhaps it would be more discrete to cover them with something like this...ref=ox_sc_saved_title_8.html
as it could blend in better with the alcantara.

If you're going that route, perhaps it would be more discrete to cover them with something like this...ref=ox_sc_saved_title_8.html
as it could blend in better with the alcantara.
thanks for the link

ordered this as hate the airbag visor stickers...plus the manufacture of this product says Lotus, even though we know it is not from them, but as I was on the fence, had to buy because of the name (lol)

Y.A. LOTUS

thanks for the link

ordered this as hate the airbag visor stickers...plus the manufacture of this product says Lotus, even though we know it is not from them, but as I was on the fence, had to buy because of the name (lol)

Y.A. LOTUS
Yeah, I also noticed the merely coincidental name too.

When you get your Amazon order, pls. report back to let us know if the color/texture is a close enough match in order to facilitate the process for other members wanting to do the same. If, by chance it doesn't match well, there are several patches by other manufacturers, you can order from Amazon, should you need to check for other samples. The are fairly inexpensive and returns are easy on Amazon anyway.

As for me, I'm still going to try to extract those suckers one way or the other, even if I end up having to re-cover the visors by a local upholsterer. Thanks and good luck!

A hot air drier and goo gone works on plastic. Getting them off the alcantara would be so nice.

Thanks for the video @MoBoost !

Last edited:
The visor is finished in Alcantara. Should be an easy thing to recover, or even slip-cover, if desired. Alcantara (sold in US as "ultrasuede") isn't that expensive actually.
Thanks for the confirmation on the material. I never retrieved warning labels from Alcantara, so it'l be a first. If I screw it up, I'll be seing my local upholsterer, or... I'm not sure if the same applies to Lotus replacement visors, but I recall once having to order a new visor for my 911 and, interestingly enough, it came w/o the dreaded warning labels, so that could potentially be an alternative solution for a botched attempt, depending on the replacement visor cost.

I watched this video about removal of the stickers from alcantara, but haven’t done it yet. Done similar process in the past using rubbing alcohol with vinyl sun screens.
Wow, that video is super helpful, thanks. I already placed the Wurth spray in my shopping cart. Fingers crossed that the Emira visor labels are as easily removed.

This is a subject I can get behind. I hate those damn stickers with a passion and vow to remove them from any vehicle that I own, threat of jail time, who cares. I mean, the Alcantara visors are beautiful, its sacrilege to put those yellow monstrosities on them.

These were much more difficult than most and seem to be made from some other worldly material. I tried the isopropyl route which has worked to melt most stickers I've dealt with. Very little help with these. I soaked them, put them in a plastic bag and soaked them with little success. I move on to denatured alcohol, and this seemed to be a little better but not much. I also found that the stickers were much more stubborn in some areas versus others. I think they are applied with heat. I moved on to my wife's nail polish remover (Acetone) and it worked the best and smelled better. It was slow and tedious, but I finally got the stickers off. I used a small plastic scraper made for cleaning pans (looks like small bondo spreader) and my fingernails. I discovered how durable this material is. The fabric got loose from the liquid and the mechanical agitation but tightened back up when it dried. I was pretty amazed, but you could wear through it if not careful.

When done, you can still see a faint outline, like when removing most stickers but it no longer sets off my OCD-ness, and it's not obvious, only a real car geek would notice. At some point if I decide to do some other Alcantara/Leather/stitching work I may have them redone, but only if I want o add a contrasting stitch.

I watched this video about removal of the stickers from alcantara, but haven’t done it yet. Done similar process in the past using rubbing alcohol with vinyl sun screens.

A word of caution: I bought in on the above video and ordered the Wurth cleaning solvent, to try and remove the visor labels from a 2023 Corvette with an alcantara interior. It didn't work. I then tried the isopropyl alcohol...and then (in total desperation) my spouse's hot hair dryer, combined with both. Nada. I then worried I'd damage the alcantara around the edge of the label as I tried to lift off the label, so gave up. Perhaps it was just my particular vehicle, with its "super-glued" visor labels (??). Don't know.

I continue to get peppered with emails from Wurth Canada...trying to sell product (sigh).

I ended up purchasing some labels off eBay made specifically for my vehicle: the larger label, which fit like a charm with its peel and stick backer. I couldn't source out anything to put over the smaller safety label, so I went to a printing company and had them recreate a smaller version, based upon the measurements I gave them and using the larger label's design. Not cheap, but it made a good matching set and the time/price was totally worth it for someone like me with OCD (lol).

The printer said if I was to get an order for 500+ of the labels he made, only then would he reduce his price. So now we only need 499 people with an Emira and all wanting visor cover-up labels, then I'll consider designing labels for the Emira and having them printed (just joking folks; it's a lot of work).

This is a subject I can get behind. I hate those damn stickers with a passion and vow to remove them from any vehicle that I own, threat of jail time, who cares. I mean, the Alcantara visors are beautiful, its sacrilege to put those yellow monstrosities on them.

These were much more difficult than most and seem to be made from some other worldly material. I tried the isopropyl route which has worked to melt most stickers I've dealt with. Very little help with these. I soaked them, put them in a plastic bag and soaked them with little success. I move on to denatured alcohol, and this seemed to be a little better but not much. I also found that the stickers were much more stubborn in some areas versus others. I think they are applied with heat. I moved on to my wife's nail polish remover (Acetone) and it worked the best and smelled better. It was slow and tedious, but I finally got the stickers off. I used a small plastic scraper made for cleaning pans (looks like small bondo spreader) and my fingernails. I discovered how durable this material is. The fabric got loose from the liquid and the mechanical agitation but tightened back up when it dried. I was pretty amazed, but you could wear through it if not careful.

When done, you can still see a faint outline, like when removing most stickers but it no longer sets off my OCD-ness, and it's not obvious, only a real car geek would notice. At some point if I decide to do some other Alcantara/Leather/stitching work I may have them redone, but only if I want o add a contrasting stitch.
Good stuff. It's disappointing to hear how difficult it was to remove them, but you've helped me to adjust my expectations and will go steal my wife's acetone too. Thanks

Yeah, I also noticed the merely coincidental name too.

When you get your Amazon order, pls. report back to let us know if the color/texture is a close enough match in order to facilitate the process for other members wanting to do the same. If, by chance it doesn't match well, there are several patches by other manufacturers, you can order from Amazon, should you need to check for other samples. The are fairly inexpensive and returns are easy on Amazon anyway.

As for me, I'm still going to try to extract those suckers one way or the other, even if I end up having to re-cover the visors by a local upholsterer. Thanks and good luck!
@crestima, so doesn't match well but feels good.

1st pic is in the garage that is sort of dark, the 2nd is the car outside and sun out (but not directly light coming in), and 3rd is held up to the ugly visor sticker. Seems a little darker shade.

My front windows are not tinted

If someone finds a good match, please post here and tag us. Probably not worth my time to figure out the exact match so I will return this, but if someone finds a close match, please let me know.

Attachments

• visor cover 1 in garage.jpg
    visor cover 1 in garage.jpg
    340.3 KB · Views: 71
  • visor cover 2.jpg
    visor cover 2.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 71
  • visor cover 3.jpg
    visor cover 3.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 71
The Alcantara I use for my wireless charger tray is an exact match to OEM. Pics here:

I get it from Relicate. Black 9040 unbacked.

The Alcantara I use for my wireless charger tray is an exact match to OEM. Pics here:

I get it from Relicate. Black 9040 unbacked
Great, thanks for letting us know where to get a perfect match for the OEM alcantara. I presume, but not absolutely sure, that "unbacked" refers to no adhesive backing. Is that the case? I'm hoping so because a self adhesive feature would make it a more practical feature to patch the warning labels. I checked the link and Relicate also sells the 9040 "backed".

By the way, I've been very impressed with the quality of your product and your focus on customer service with all the positive feedback you've received so far. Still waiting to spec my Emira, but as soon as I do, your wireless charger kit will be one of my first accessory purchases, that is, if you're still making/selling them by then. Best

Thank you!

Unbacked means it’s a single layer of material. Backed means there is a second layer, sometimes a thin foam, that increases thickness. Neither has adhesive. I use 3M headliner adhesive spray for the trays.

I get it from Relicate. Black 9040 unbacked.
great thank you for posting so I can order