• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Privacy glass, yes, no?

Shyatic

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Hi all -- just curious on the thoughts on this -- I like the idea that I can show my engine bay off through the rear window, but wouldn't mind some UV protection since I live in Texas. I figure it might be best to opt against it, and tint the windows after I get the car, but thoughts? I don't see any threads turning up any decent information on this yet.

G

Guest142

I selected yes. It won't be so dark that you won't be able to see the engine bay.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all -- just curious on the thoughts on this -- I like the idea that I can show my engine bay off through the rear window, but wouldn't mind some UV protection since I live in Texas. I figure it might be best to opt against it, and tint the windows after I get the car, but thoughts? I don't see any threads turning up any decent information on this yet.

Factory tint is in the glass and not too dark. I opted for it. Some have concerns about aftermarket film on the hatch glass above the engine heat. I didn't want to risk it. I'll try to match the front side windows with some ceramic film after delivery.

OP
Shyatic

Shyatic

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I’ve gone with privacy as I think if you’ve gone upper black pack it flows well with it.
Yeah, I don't have the top black as I prefer the full red all around, but that's a fair point.

OP
Shyatic

Shyatic

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Factory tint is in the glass and not too dark. I opted for it. Some have concerns about aftermarket film on the hatch glass above the engine heat. I didn't want to risk it. I'll try to match the front side windows with some ceramic film after delivery.
Didn't even think about that! A great reason to choose it, actually.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
There's some discussion and renders here:

And some good, accurate pictures here:

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The rear privacy glass is 24.5 VLT. So only a quarter of light gets through. It also has over 95% UV filtering.

I ended up leaving it as I was worried about tint bubbling above a hot engine bay.

Matt

Emira Fan
Reaction score
In China, people would have a consensus to add some aftermarket glass film no matter it is a cheap car or a luxury car. I don't even know about the significance of the option 'privacy glass'. I think it is just a "watercooler moment” that to be added into the package of FE edition. So it shows a long list that makes the FE is different to the base version. Well, it is just my personal idea. :ROFLMAO: Since this option has been included in the FE edition car, I never tried to figure out the details. I am so curious about US market. You guys have option to choose and not choose? In CN market, you must choose, because it has been included in the price of the car.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I chose not to have it because if I go with a ceramic tint, I want it to look exactly the same on all windows. Since I'm retired and only going to use this car for fun, I may not tint it at all; I'll have to see how hot it gets in the interior while driving it on summer days.

Bradw

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I selected yes. It won't be so dark that you won't be able to see the engine bay.
I also have privacy glass coming and was worried on not see the engine but I see one at Goodwood and you can still see the engine fine

Ftype

Reaction score
The images below show shots of the engine with and without privacy glass. The lotus logo is visible in both but the full detail of the engine cover is obscured by the privacy glass. I am still going for PG as I believe it improves the overall look of the car. Nimbus Grey is without PG and Dark Verdant is with.

Attachments

• 89BB472E-9C49-4338-A2F0-2F4FE2D0AE92.jpeg
    89BB472E-9C49-4338-A2F0-2F4FE2D0AE92.jpeg
    192.6 KB · Views: 292
  • 1F7A4E74-0961-47D0-BF7C-D4F09DDDB8C3.jpeg
    1F7A4E74-0961-47D0-BF7C-D4F09DDDB8C3.jpeg
    140.7 KB · Views: 298
  • 003417E0-5ED2-4A1B-9D9F-6CAE5701703D.jpeg
    003417E0-5ED2-4A1B-9D9F-6CAE5701703D.jpeg
    377.2 KB · Views: 311
  • C89FBD0A-17C0-4982-A5E6-5F6193AF5AC4.jpeg
    C89FBD0A-17C0-4982-A5E6-5F6193AF5AC4.jpeg
    453.9 KB · Views: 297
  • E065A061-71BB-4D80-8C52-C4272446ADB8.jpeg
    E065A061-71BB-4D80-8C52-C4272446ADB8.jpeg
    383.6 KB · Views: 301

DaaS

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I’ve spec’d it for the same reason. I also plan to tint the front windows after delivery.

TRX250EX

Reaction score
Any reason why you need privacy glass on the engine bay? I personally didn't opt for it because I want to choose which part to be tinted also I don't want to be stuck with it in the future in case I didn't like it, as for engine bay I was thinking why not just tint engine bay window from inside instead of hiding engine bay from outside?

I know putting a tint will also obstruct your view to the engine bay from inside but you can have a light shade that does a good job on reflecting lights and heat from outside but keeping view from inside very clear.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
That's an interesting idea.. Though I personally like having a clear view of the engine from my rear view mirror. I opted for tint just because I think it looks nicer with the side windows and rear hatch glass all tinted together for a more uniform look.

Reactions: DJS

Matt

Emira Fan
Reaction score
My engine is a not a slut and so I have it private and discrete.
Acturally no difference to the aftermarket glass-film. Also, it has been included in the price, why not choose it ?