When the configurator first was released the privacy glass option read:

Privacy glass delete:
• Yes
• No

At some point, it changed to:

Privacy glass:
• None
• Privacy Glass

This explains a discrepancy I found during a conversation with Tammy a while back when I asked her to confirm my spec. Everything was correct except privacy glass was included.

I told her I had not chosen privacy glass and that I wanted that corrected. She referred me back to the dealer saying:

“The dealers will be more accurate as the form is sent off to the factory, mine is just on a spreadsheet that has manually been entered.”

When the dealer finally answered they told me:

"I just double checked your order, and the privacy glass option is deleted."

I think this confusion was a product of the “double negative” option. Dealer got it right but factory miss-interpreted it and as a result a lot of people ended up with the opposite of what they asked for.

My car is still en-route to the dealer so I haven’t gotten a picture of it yet, but I have a feeling I will get privacy glass.

How many early depositors fell victim to the “double negative”?

Are you planning on asking Lotus to replace the glass?

Does anybody have a screenshot of the original configurator back when it showed “privacy glass delete”?

Jimblob

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I had a similar issue. I initially ordered privacy glass but then I changed the spec to remove the privacy glass with them over the phone.

I had email confirmation that the privacy glass was removed.

When my final checkout email arrived I hadn’t noticed but privacy glass had somehow been left on (in order to see that you had to expand a sub-menu which I didn’t do as the car image looked correct).

The car arrived with privacy glass. Lotus blamed me for accepting the checkout email, although I pointed out that it was already too late at that point and the car had been made.

After a lot of back and forth they agreed to remove the glass. I had to escalate it as the CS team said no but I hated the privacy glass look on the sides so I was tenacious.

I actually really liked the look of the black glass on the back (not the sides) so I managed to get Lotus to just change the side glass as it worked out cheaper.

Now I have clear sides and black rear glass, and I love it. The key for me was having it in writing via email… if you have that and your ready for a fight then dig your heals in.

I managed to get a senior(ish) persons contact details that got it approved (cost to a lotus was around £3k as both rear wings have to come off to replace rear quarter glass) so if you want their details let me know (that’s if they are still there as this was a year ago).

hagen111

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry to much about it. In fact in combination with the black roof, the privacy glass rear window looks much better!

PsymonR

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
This is a screenshot I took when I was confirming the spec on my UK car and placing my second deposit in April 2022. Privacy glass was selected by default.

5.jpg

OP
S

silent cilantro

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I had a similar issue. I initially ordered privacy glass but then I changed the spec to remove the privacy glass with them over the phone.

I had email confirmation that the privacy glass was removed.

When my final checkout email arrived I hadn’t noticed but privacy glass had somehow been left on (in order to see that you had to expand a sub-menu which I didn’t do as the car image looked correct).

The car arrived with privacy glass. Lotus blamed me for accepting the checkout email, although I pointed out that it was already too late at that point and the car had been made.

After a lot of back and forth they agreed to remove the glass. I had to escalate it as the CS team said no but I hated the privacy glass look on the sides so I was tenacious.

I actually really liked the look of the black glass on the back (not the sides) so I managed to get Lotus to just change the side glass as it worked out cheaper.

Now I have clear sides and black rear glass, and I love it. The key for me was having it in writing via email… if you have that and your ready for a fight then dig your heals in.

I managed to get a senior(ish) persons contact details that got it approved (cost to a lotus was around £3k as both rear wings have to come off to replace rear quarter glass) so if you want their details let me know (that’s if they are still there as this was a year ago).
Thanks for the info. Yeah PM me their contact info if you don’t mind, I do have everything in writing.

I’m with you on the sides, I don’t like that uneven look. I agree the rear looks more uniform with privacy glass+black pack but I wanted clear glass so the engine is more visible.

OP
S

silent cilantro

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Looks like I’m safe after all. Dealer sent a picture today and they got my privacy glass delete option right. Pheeeewww!

Onto the next thing to worry about!

Still interested in knowing other people’s experiences.

MIGZ

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I ended up with PG so I’m just going tint the rest.

I would not want my dealer pulling glass that’s already been set at the factory. If that glass shatters and falls into the body they will never get it all out and then I’ll have a glass rattle

Last edited:

Bimmernate

Reaction score
Has this been an issue for anyone else? Now i'm concerned ahh. My order form says "privacy glass delete - yes." As in i do not want privacy glass. I hope they get it right.

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I also got caught in the double negative privacy glass. I ordered it, my dealer said it wasn't on the order. I said no problem. With recent pictures I don't want it. I will tint all the windows but want to see the engine. If that looks weird I can always tint it, maybe with a light tint. I am DV with Black Pack.

Gprodigy

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I also got caught in the double negative privacy glass. I ordered it, my dealer said it wasn't on the order. I said no problem. With recent pictures I don't want it. I will tint all the windows but want to see the engine. If that looks weird I can always tint it, maybe with a light tint. I am DV with Black Pack.
Coincidentally, just posted this in the US thread. Here’s a mockup with light tint.
1704669875178.png

DF_Toronto

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Has this been an issue for anyone else? Now i'm concerned ahh. My order form says "privacy glass delete - yes." As in i do not want privacy glass. I hope they get it right.
Can someone clarify? Privacy Glass Delete checked means no privacy glass right?

OP
S

silent cilantro

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
It looks like tinting the non-privacy glass will make the defrost heating elements very visible. See this post

Edit: or maybe not, I’m not sure how long after the tint was installed that picture was taken. Lines should clear after a couple of weeks

Last edited:

Gprodigy

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
It looks like tinting the non-privacy glass will make the defrost heating elements very visible. See this post

img_3243-png.33605
Well tha'ts informative. I'm assuming colder regions (like the UK)will possibly see this more and areas like Florida you'll hardly/ never see it.

Last edited:

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
img_3243-png.33605
Well tha'ts informative. I'm assuming colder regions (like the UK)will possibly see this more and areas like Florida you'll hardly/ never see it.
looks freshly tinted, this should reduce down next to nothing in a couple weeks time

all my defroster tinted windows have looked like this initially

OP
S

silent cilantro

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
looks freshly tinted, this should reduce down next to nothing in a couple weeks time

all my defroster tinted windows have looked like this initially

That is a good point, that picture could have been taken right after tinting.