Privacy glass “double negative” option

JonFuller

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Well tha'ts informative. I'm assuming colder regions (like the UK)will possibly see this more and areas like Florida you'll hardly/ never see it.
It's not through use of the rear defrost. The tint film just cannot follow the contours, and you get tiny air gaps at each side of the heating element strips. also the tint film being on the inside, highlights the heater elements, whereas the factory glass has the tint in the glass itself, so hides the heater elements that are behind it.
That was in the summer. the second pic is after I fitted factory privacy glass to the rear.

OP
S

silent cilantro

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
not planning on tinting mine, I want it clear :)

We were was just pointing out that in most cars those lines disappear after a while. don’t have an Emira yet so yeah I can’t confirm.

How long after tinting was that picture taken?

JonFuller

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
How long after tinting was that picture taken?
3 months.

I know a lot of folk say that they want clear glass as they wanna see the engine, but TBH, it aint no Ferrari V12 with gorgeous rigging & fancy bits, it's a black lid atop the blower, and that's all you can see, really not worth showing off.
For me, the black reflective look of the privacy glass outweighs that by far (the centre of my roof is also gloss black, done in black PPF, while the pillars, and thus the sweeping roof line are still body colour). It doesn't show in those pics, but works quite well.

Last edited:

DF_Toronto

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
3 months.

I know a lot of folk say that they want clear glass as they wanna see the engine, but TBH, it aint no Ferrari V12 with gorgeous rigging & fancy bits, it's a black lid atop the blower, and that's all you can see, really not worth showing off.
For me, the black reflective look of the privacy glass outweighs that by far (the centre of my roof is also gloss black, done in black PPF, while the pillars, and thus the sweeping roof line are still body colour). It doesn't show in those pics, but works quite well.
I think it’s a matter of personal preference for everyone.

For me I think the side profile looks better without it and the rear overhead looks better with it. So those two kind of cancel each other out, and while it’s no Ferrari, as the last ICE car I love the idea of having the V6 manual with visible linkage, actuator, and supercharger on display as we move all electric. Had I gone i4 I would have gone privacy glass to hide that cover.

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Indeed, that's why I initially ordered without privacy, those lonely looking side windows, almost black, look out of place to me.
Privacy glass appears to hide the engine from a distance but close up the engine is still fairly visible. Outside scene will be even better.

Attachments

• 20240109_130628.jpg
    20240109_130628.jpg
    370.3 KB · Views: 84
  • 20240109_131443_008.jpg
    20240109_131443_008.jpg
    300.8 KB · Views: 84

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Privacy glass appears to hide the engine from a distance but close up the engine is still fairly visible. Outside scene will be even better.

Yup, IRL it's even more visible imho. If anyone is worried about people being able to see your engine from far away, I don't know what to say.

GrahamClark_60-68

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
When the configurator first was released the privacy glass option read:

Privacy glass delete:
• Yes
• No

At some point, it changed to:

Privacy glass:
• None
• Privacy Glass

This explains a discrepancy I found during a conversation with Tammy a while back when I asked her to confirm my spec. Everything was correct except privacy glass was included.

I told her I had not chosen privacy glass and that I wanted that corrected. She referred me back to the dealer saying:

“The dealers will be more accurate as the form is sent off to the factory, mine is just on a spreadsheet that has manually been entered.”

When the dealer finally answered they told me:

"I just double checked your order, and the privacy glass option is deleted."

I think this confusion was a product of the “double negative” option. Dealer got it right but factory miss-interpreted it and as a result a lot of people ended up with the opposite of what they asked for.

My car is still en-route to the dealer so I haven’t gotten a picture of it yet, but I have a feeling I will get privacy glass.

How many early depositors fell victim to the “double negative”?

Are you planning on asking Lotus to replace the glass?

Does anybody have a screenshot of the original configurator back when it showed “privacy glass delete”?
Hi Silent Cilantro, who is Tammy? I'm assuming she's Lotus Hethel? I too do not want privacy glass and have selected Privacy Glass Delete = Yes. I've asked my dealer to confirm with Lotus that the order was entered correctly, and his response was that since he has confirmation of the build from Lotus with "Privacy Glass Delete - YES" I'm all good. But since the configurator has changed and others have reported these issues, I'm considering trying to confirm this for sure by another route. Would Tammy be able to help me confirm this for sure?

OP
S

silent cilantro

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Tammy’s title is “Relationship Manager”. Not sure where she is based. I think US.

She was not able confirm (see first post). Her documentation had privacy glass, dealer’s didn’t.

Car arrived without privacy glass which is what I wanted.

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Tammy’s title is “Relationship Manager”. Not sure where she is based. I think US.

She was not able confirm (see first post). Her documentation had privacy glass, dealer’s didn’t.

Car arrived without privacy glass which is what I wanted.
She's based in the UK I believe.

Deeznuss

Reaction score
When the configurator first was released the privacy glass option read:

Privacy glass delete:
• Yes
• No

At some point, it changed to:

Privacy glass:
• None
• Privacy Glass

This explains a discrepancy I found during a conversation with Tammy a while back when I asked her to confirm my spec. Everything was correct except privacy glass was included.

I told her I had not chosen privacy glass and that I wanted that corrected. She referred me back to the dealer saying:

“The dealers will be more accurate as the form is sent off to the factory, mine is just on a spreadsheet that has manually been entered.”

When the dealer finally answered they told me:

"I just double checked your order, and the privacy glass option is deleted."

I think this confusion was a product of the “double negative” option. Dealer got it right but factory miss-interpreted it and as a result a lot of people ended up with the opposite of what they asked for.

My car is still en-route to the dealer so I haven’t gotten a picture of it yet, but I have a feeling I will get privacy glass.

How many early depositors fell victim to the “double negative”?

Are you planning on asking Lotus to replace the glass?

Does anybody have a screenshot of the original configurator back when it showed “privacy glass delete”?
I’m dealing with the same issue:
I ordered “No Privacy Glass”
Order form comes back from Lotus
“Privacy Glass Delete - No”
I write to lotus salesperson
“I want clear glass all around the car. No tint. I believe the website calls it Privacy Glass I want to tick the box none.”
Salesperson replied “
So silly how they word this. Privacy Glass delete equals NO PRIVACY GLASS”

Still confused. Can anyone clarify. Did Lotus order my car with clear glass or tint based on the form???

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I’m dealing with the same issue:
I ordered “No Privacy Glass”
Order form comes back from Lotus
“Privacy Glass Delete - No”
I write to lotus salesperson
“I want clear glass all around the car. No tint. I believe the website calls it Privacy Glass I want to tick the box none.”
Salesperson replied “
So silly how they word this. Privacy Glass delete equals NO PRIVACY GLASS”

Still confused. Can anyone clarify. Did Lotus order my car with clear glass or tint based on the form???
Contact Lotus Customer Care directly and have them look up your build in their system.