Privacy glass swapping thread

robrmon

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Not sure if this is a good idea or not, but I feel for the owners who ordered privacy and just found out they got clear and the other way. When you spend $100k it should be the way you wanted it. And tinting that glass is a huge compromise.

If the lid is anything like the evora I imagine it’s a doable swap ourselves.

Was thinking we could start a list of people who haven’t got what they want, and perhaps can leave it to the dealers to swap, and remember it’s probably the same dealers that messed up, so we may see a pattern.

So let’s start a list?

Username, state, car colour, wants, has
1)

Davebeats

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
One thing of interest is it sounds like the glass is just glued into place per what jubu has on their page

“Like the glass rear window, the carbon engine cover is glued into the tailgate with window adhesive (on the OEM intended adhesive fold).”

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
If the lid is anything like the evora I imagine it’s a doable swap ourselves.

It seems simple according to the service manual, however each one is installed with a different number of shims in different positions under the brackets and the brackets have adjustments too. Getting it perfect will take a lot of trial and error and you’ll need some spare shims and washers too.

TXEMIRA

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
It seems simple according to the service manual, however each one is installed with a different number of shims in different positions under the brackets and the brackets have adjustments too. Getting it perfect will take a lot of trial and error and you’ll need some spare shims and washers too.
So it’s a Lotus… Makes 100% sense. Argh

Emiro

Reaction score
I just realized the three quarter windows are also dark...... wonder how hard to swap this. To clarify this was not Lotus fault, it was the dealer.

Time2Fly

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Driv300mph, TX (Dallas), Seneca Blue. Wants privacy glass. Has privacy glass delete.
You and Emira should meet up and have one of your dealers fix it. At least they'll have the parts and they'd probably be willing for just labor.

OP
robrmon

robrmon

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
You and Emira should meet up and have one of your dealers fix it. At least they'll have the parts and they'd probably be willing for just labor.
Yes, exactly, that was the point of this thread. There might be more local options in the next month as people see their cars for the first time

Emiro

Reaction score
Got my car today….. with the privacy glass……. Very happy with the car but… pissed up the glass issue. Thought about not buying it but after placing the deposit in 2001 and having the rest of the spec how I wanted I ended up buying it….. any more comments on how hard would to swap the the glasses??? Thanks

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Got my car today….. with the privacy glass……. Very happy with the car but… pissed up the glass issue. Thought about not buying it but after placing the deposit in 2001 and having the rest of the spec how I wanted I ended up buying it….. any more comments on how hard would to swap the the glasses??? Thanks
I ordered privacy glass for my Nimbus as an accent color to both the black engine surround and the paint hue. Couldn't be happier. Engine is still visible (as some have desired) moreso In direct sun. Rear view is not compromised; it is no different than your average window tinting. Depends on personal preference.
Hope it works out for you.

GlobalPilot777

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Can we get a carbon replacement for the window?? Like the option that lambo huracan has.. glass or plastic

Subw00er

Reaction score
Its probably easier to just swap the whole lid if you can find that needle in a haystack owner with the right color that wants to swap!