Now that reviews are out is anyone having 2nd thoughts about Emira ?

Autopsy

Emira Fan
Reaction score
If I want to buy the obvious choice I'd buy a porsche, which is the de facto benchmark of this segment. On same principle my neighbor bought one and my city is absolutly flooded with porsches. It's just like Rolexs, I know they are great watches and precise and holds their value very well etc, yet I wear an speedmaster.

We all need some courage to not want the obvious choice and be the same as everyone else, or the world would become a super boring place;).

Last edited:

wallstbear

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Still all in as I ordered the AMG version...

Re the manual, I regret to say that the reviews are pretty much what I expected. After all, it's based on a "seasoned" Camry engine.

Fortunately for me, as we live in an age when machines are increasingly more capable than humans, especially in terms of shifting, I have absolutely zero issue with AMG's DCT with paddles and am not wedded to stick shift.

So while the manual Emira is like a facelifted Evora with a love handle, the AMG Emira is like a twin sister of the A45S, just with bigger boobs, longer legs and slimmer waist. What's not to love?

In fact, to sooth my dented spirit from the reviews, I went back and watched 5-6 A45S reviews just to feel better about the purchase again.

SJR202

Emira Fan
Reaction score
From insider info - wait for July when Prod cars are given back to the press for full comparison tests and longer term road based drives. The pre prod cars seem to have varying levels of finish - Rory Reid Autotrader for example loved the car, EVO not so much... Maybe Lotus should have just waited another 4-6 weeks but for those like me who wont see their car until 2023 then there is time to drive one, compare and make an informed decision on my own requirements.

Justcallmemac

Reaction score
I was yesterday after being generally underwhelmed by what I was watching and reading. But I reset my expectations, considered the price point and VFM, watched several reviews again with different eyes, and reflected upon the compromises and foibles, which I readily accept in my 981 GT4, (and have learnt to work around or modify), and I'm now fully back on board. 👍

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
We all need some courage to not want the obvious choice and be the same as everyone else, or the world would become a super boring place;).
I'm with you. Unfortunately that also means excess disposable I come that you don't mind throwing away. When push comes to shove which average person would spend 10k on a Grand Seiko over a Rolex

Cutting42

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm with you. Unfortunately that also means excess disposable I come that you don't mind throwing away. When push comes to shove which average person would spend 10k on a Grand Seiko over a Rolex

Do average people buy 10k watches? ;-) I don't but do love the Grand Seiko's.

Aside from that it comes down to your reason to purchase anything. Do you want the thing for what it is or what you can get back out of it. I buy very few cars and hang on to them for 7/8 years typically so I don't really care too much about retaining value - I mean I do a bit but accept depreciation as part of the cost. I have friends who are serial car flippers, buy the latest toy, drive for 6 months and use the proceeds to buy the next toy and sometimes make money as well, they are super focussed on the value retention and only pick top brands or cars that seem likely to have huge waiting lists.

d15b7

Reaction score
It’s basically exactly what I expected - road feel and steering are perfect Lotus. Cabin hugely improved. Exterior is a knockout. We already knew coming in that the drivetrain was a slightly detuned version of previous!!! I’m happy with the reviews so far.

PS. Not one person has mentioned so far ‘I am so happy it’s still the bullet proof Toyota V6’. As I do all of my own maintenance and upkeep on my cars, I’m THRILLED about this ! I previously owned a Boxster S, and the cost of parts (and possibility of failure of lots of stupid little components leading to much worse massively expensive parts) was always a worry. Needless to say I won’t be worried about that with the 3.5 Toyota mill. There’s no doubt that the AMG 2 liter turbo makes fantastic power for its size and weight; but 10-20 yrs down the road I’d be a touch more nervous owning it out of warranty (turbos put so much heat into the engine bay and once all those tiny vacuum hoses and wiring and sensors start to dry out and crack..).

boozyjay

Reaction score
I cannot believe all the negativity on here since the reviews came out, and it's even worse on the Pistonheads forum. The Emiras tested are pre-production and apart from one not so good review in EVO (wrong tyre set up, etc) almost everyone is up in arms! I thought the reviews were all really good and what I expected. Almost everyone seemed to expect it was going to blow the Cayman out the water and be a 10 out of 10 world beater. The Emira is going to be a great car, and one I'm really looking forward to driving and owning.

No car in the world is a perfect 10 out of 10 world beater, except my Fiat Panda Cross 4x4.

DJS

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Lets not forget there is still more reviews to come, V6 auto and the I4 DCT and then more for the manual V6 from all of us on here, lets face it we all know this car is not dialled up to nowhere near it's full capacity. there will be S versions GT versions so plenty more in the tank for the Emira.

Some one who has purchased a GT3 or GT4 would never go for the base Carrera.

Evotion

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I cannot believe all the negativity on here since the reviews came out
Well, I was horrified with the reviews but that is admittedly from a vanity and reassurance point of view.
I will still love my Emira for sure. I just wanted everybody else to love it :censored:

Will be a great car. As I keep saying.. Don't panic!

frazzer

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I cannot believe all the negativity on here since the reviews came out, and it's even worse on the Pistonheads forum. The Emiras tested are pre-production and apart from one not so good review in EVO (wrong tyre set up, etc) almost everyone is up in arms! I thought the reviews were all really good and what I expected. Almost everyone seemed to expect it was going to blow the Cayman out the water and be a 10 out of 10 world beater. The Emira is going to be a great car, and one I'm really looking forward to driving and owning.

No car in the world is a perfect 10 out of 10 world beater, except my Fiat Panda Cross 4x4.
the folly of an unguarded expectation bloom basking in the information void followed by a fat dose of (perfectly good) reality - quite a spectacle

Last edited:

Johnson

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Gee… I went bonkers just seeing a Magma car driving around.

I was hoping for reviews that would show the good and bad. All good and I’d think someone got paid off. Nothing — not even my lovely girlfriend — can be 100% perfect.

Shhh.

Evotion

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
not even my lovely girlfriend — can be 100% perfect.
Fair point. I assume we are all with our partners as the emotional connection was off the charts but looks will be a big factor.

Cayman
Unattractive older lady, well run-in, reliable, great communicator, great in bed,

Emira
Very attractive younger lady, relatively innocent, good in bed.

Okay - it's a close call. :unsure:

[Apologies for what looks like a misogynistic comment - just a way to describe the difference]

ksegg

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Here are my thoughts about the review most specially the EVO review. Why compare the Emira to a GT4 Cayman? That is quite silly for Mr. Jethro to compare it with the Emira. Why not compare it with the big brother Emira GT4?
Surely the Emira looks significantly better and performs better than the Porsche Cayman GTS which is a fair comparison.
I remembered I stop watching Top Gear when mr. Jethro replaced Jason Cammisa.
Suddenly Top Gear USA got boring to watch thanks to Mr. Jethro.
I buying my Emira as a weekend fun car and not a weekend track car.
Im definitely forever frustrated with you Mr. Jethro your far less exciting than Jason Cammisa.
I don't understand the fascination with cars that "need" to do both street and track.

The EVO should have compared the upcoming Emira GT4 to the Cayman GT4 if they want to compare apples to apples.

Eh, but what can you do, some journalists want to be purposefully controversial to stir the pot.

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
I am reconsidering as well. There's just not enough beyond good looks here to get excited about. I wish Lotus would have just updated the Evora GTs bodywork, added a Komotec 460hp kit, and chose how to best invest no more than 50 lbs. in whatever way they could to spruce up the interior and I would have been all over it.
If they did that, again they would not appeal to the more mass market, which is what they and every company with ambitions needs to do.
I am 100% sure, Komotec will work or soon will with this engine and get you the 60hp you want. Lotus cant take the engine past what they believe to be its limits for warranty issues and they must leave room for later versions... which may suit you better.....

Evotion

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I don't understand the fascination with cars that "need" to do both street and track.
Yeah, when the video review is ONLY on the track I wince. Very few owners will track it.
I will , got two booked already, but I was only really interested in road reviews as that will still be 95% of my mileage.

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
This exactly, I am locked in, 2nd deposit down. What car has no shortcomings? If I find that is so underwhelming, I will flip it for a profit. No worries.
Again that's a worry as I am 100% sure ALL the British journos want the Emira to be a massive success
But we are as a nation, quite negative!...... and we do like to complain......

ksegg

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Yeah, when the video review is ONLY on the track I wince. Very few owners will track it.
I will , got two booked already, but I was only really interested in road reviews as that will still be 95% of my mileage.
Agreed. My M2 Comp be "tracked", but I can't be bothered.

Trying to track an otherwise street car with "track capabilities" is just an overall bad idea anyway.

Tires, suspension, etc are all being stressed to hell and back; I've lost count on how many threads I read about "Tracked my M2 this weekend, and now I have XYZ issues......"

Evotion

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Tires, suspension, etc are all being stressed to hell and back;
So true. I already know I will be the slowest git on the tracks this year.. taking it super easy to get to grips with the car - plus, yes, the worry of stressing the car in anger though Lotus would have done a lot of 'vicious' miles in it so I will likely be over-thinking it.