• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

New wheels by JUBU

Green

Emira Fiend
Reaction score

Details
Lightweight and elegant forged rims
Dimensions/Weight Variant 1: front axle: 8,5Jx20" (10,9 kg/rim), rear axle: 10,5Jx20" (11,8kg/rim)
Dimensions/Weight Variant 2: front axle: 9Jx20" (11,3 kg/rim), rear axle: 11Jx20" (12,1 kg/rim)
Weight reduction in comparison to a set of Lotus OEM standard rims: (depending on variant -4kg or -2,8kg compared to OEM)
Matte black coated
Can be used in combination with the Lotus OEM wheel bolts
They show two variants. The 2nd is a wider rim. The question I have is what is the difference? Does it just effect the tire stretch on the rim? Wider rim would give the tire a less meaty look and more stretched or just ability to run wider tire?

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
They show two variants. The 2nd is a wider rim. The question I have is what is the difference? Does it just effect the tire stretch on the rim? Wider rim would give the tire a less meaty look and more stretched or just ability to run wider tire?
Yes and yes.

Evotion

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
??? The wheels are fine as they are.
Spend the money on track days.

Also, I wouldn't JUST change the wheels. It will affect things. In fact, it is madness. Lotus spent years getting the car right. Change the wheels, suspension and performance and you might as well give it back to Lotus to set it up again.

I get that people desire modifications but the car is fabulous and gets better by the day. See how you feel first.

lion shf

Emira Maniac
Reaction score

Also, I wouldn't JUST change the wheels. It will affect things. In fact, it is madness. Lotus spent years getting the car right. Change the wheels, suspension and performance and you might as well give it back to Lotus to set it up again.

I get that people desire modifications but the car is fabulous and gets better by the day. See how you feel first.
I always cringe a bit when people say “manufacturer spent years getting the car right” forgetting they did this to a price point. That comment, imho, only applies to hyper cars.

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order

Downside is a moderate reduction in scrub radius and that's mostly it for real world effects -- which are mostly going to be fighting the wheel a little bit more. Upside is unsprung and rotating mass reduction at all four corners.

I agree on driving it first -- but Lotus sets up road cars with their compromise of budget, road regulations, comfort, and consumer expectations. Some people are not going to want the exact formula Lotus offers for their use case and it's okay to modify.

What we need in this forum is less blanket statements about what is and isn't right and realizing there's a spectrum of owners with different priorities.

Evotion

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I was talking about moving to 20" wheels which would mean compromising the existing setup (yes, at a budget) which would require changing other other things.

I can only see Ohlins and geometry changes being relevant for majority track use.
I put lighter forged alloys on my track bike as it is a track bike searching for marginal gains but people really need to get out in the car for a real blast before making changes anyway as they won't know the changes that will work for them. I suggest moving to 20" wheels is not the right move.

This is such a nice car I won't touch it for my limited track use and and expecting the GT/CUP to have all taken to another level, at another budget... £100k?

lion shf

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I was talking about moving to 20" wheels which would mean compromising the existing setup (yes, at a budget) which would require changing other other things.

I can only see Ohlins and geometry changes being relevant for majority track use.
I put lighter forged alloys on my track bike as it is a track bike searching for marginal gains but people really need to get out in the car for a real blast before making changes anyway as they won't know the changes that will work for them. I suggest moving to 20" wheels is not the right move.

This is such a nice car I won't touch it for my limited track use and and expecting the GT/CUP to have all taken to another level, at another budget... £100k?
Aren’t 20” wheels oem? What came on your car?

hagen111

Emira Fan
Reaction score

Stock items are a big compromise cost vs performance. They got the car right on 'cheap' parts...

Change the wheels for lighter forged ones, change the suspension to e.g. Nitron or Ohlins, etc. All done by someone who knows the Lotus cars and setup and it will bring the car to life.

I did, on my Exige, became such a better car. Drove Emira...and know it can be much better to my liking with mods. And yes please spend the money on trackdays...if you are actually fast...you will want to mods...

lion shf

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Stock items are a big compromise cost vs performance. They got the car right on 'cheap' parts...

Change the wheels for lighter forged ones, change the suspension to e.g. Nitron or Ohlins, etc. All done by someone who knows the Lotus cars and setup and it will bring the car to life.

I did, on my Exige, became such a better car. Drove Emira...and know it can be much better to my liking with mods. And yes please spend the money on trackdays...if you are actually fast...you will want to mods...
modding is FUN! I bought my CPO TT for $35k and spent $20k on mods. It’s a bit of a sickness.
math like this only works for car guys

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The same guys who bought 911Ts while waiting
1. They aren't €20k. The website shows either € 3490 a set, or € 3950 a set, depending on width. I have no idea what that other guy was on about.
2. No joke on the people buying "alternatives" at hugely inflated prices. Looking at you, casual McLaren buyers.

lion shf

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
1. They aren't €20k. The website shows either € 3490 a set, or € 3950 a set, depending on width. I have no idea what that other guy was on about.
2. No joke on the people buying "alternatives" at hugely inflated prices. Looking at you, casual McLaren buyers.
Jealousy in the girl game is WAY less intense than jealousy in the car game
I am a jealous car guy

Green

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Do these Brixton rims look identical? I keep trying to pick up variations but I think they are identical.

Attachments

• FB70AFFA-92F9-41D5-A613-10FC53AE23AF.jpeg
    FB70AFFA-92F9-41D5-A613-10FC53AE23AF.jpeg
    189.8 KB · Views: 88
  • 693B8BAE-C76D-4BC1-A76C-80CBE1C5B836.jpeg
    693B8BAE-C76D-4BC1-A76C-80CBE1C5B836.jpeg
    173.1 KB · Views: 90
  • 1F764735-73DC-49E7-8711-EC47418937AE.jpeg
    1F764735-73DC-49E7-8711-EC47418937AE.jpeg
    218.2 KB · Views: 90

Green

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Do these Brixton rims look identical? I keep trying to pick up variations but I think they are identical.
I have been working with Brixton wheels to order the rims on the Ferrari. They said they would weigh 20lbs. I think that is 5lbs lighter than the stock rims. I'm not super knowledgeable about unsprung wheel weight. Is 5lbs alot in this department?

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I have been working with Brixton wheels to order the rims on the Ferrari. They said they would weigh 20lbs. I think that is 5lbs lighter than the stock rims. I'm not super knowledgeable about unsprung wheel weight. Is 5lbs alot in this department?
Yes

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order

I've personally never been able to tell the difference in feel on the road -- but some say they can feel it.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Where I've noticed it the most is when you go from old to new wheels, and first start the car rolling. The car immediately feels like it rolls forward easier. It doesn't take long to get used to the effect however, and after the first week or so new feels normal.