New Shmee Emira video

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Unbelievable that you are complaining about a sound system you have not heard. Oh, do you plan sitting in this super car to listen to the radio ? I plan to drive and enjoy the music from the engine.

It's a concern for sure. Relatively few people have listened to this infamous audio system so we are all going off some second-hand impressions. The modern era's overuse of superlatives and the tendency for everyone to consider their opinions valid and eager to share with the world has made it very difficult to find nuance in audio reviews. So instead of individual reviews, I tend to look for trends. The trend is unmistakable for the KEF system in the Emira, which is that compared to other audio systems in cars in the Emira's price segment, it is lackluster.

Underlying my particular take on this issue is that Geely/Lotus/KEF could have done a much better job with some standard level of effort, effort that was expected given the additional cost of the system. It seems as if that level of effort has not been undertaken.

Always looking on the bright side - it's not too late. Geely/Lotus/KEF can retune the DSP to achieve better sound quality now that they have production cars rolling through the factory. Updating the DSP firmware should not be all that difficult. They just have to make the effort.

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Unbelievable that you are complaining about a sound system you have not heard. Oh, do you plan sitting in this super car to listen to the radio ? I plan to drive and enjoy the music from the engine.
Since you’re not planning on listening to any music, hopefully you are getting a base model without the KEF system then. The rest of us are paying a premium for it wether optioned or paying for FE — and we’d like it to sound good.

Ryder

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Since you’re not planning on listening to any music, hopefully you are getting a base model without the KEF system then. The rest of us are paying a premium for it wether optioned or paying for FE — and we’d like it to sound good.
If it was a daily driver, I understand your position. At under $100,000 for the FE , I believe this " super sports car" is fairly priced. You can always replace the sound system once you determine it is not up to your expectations.

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
If it was a daily driver, I understand your position. At under $100,000 for the FE , I believe this " super sports car" is fairly priced. You can always replace the sound system once you determine it is not up to your expectations.
You’re still missing the point and either not capable of considering a different view point or simply purposefully avoiding doing so.

The KEF system is provided for an additional price and people are underwhelmed with it. That has nothing to do with the overall car.

ADC

Just Jazzed About Being On The Show
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Fair call to say each should listen and judge it on their own, but I think the root of the complaint is that it is increasingly seeming like it could be £2k better spent on something else (assuming that is a roughly accurate price for optioning it separately). But FE buyers don't get that choice.

Ryder

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Fair call to say each should listen and judge it on their own, but I think the root of the complaint is that it is increasingly seeming like it could be £2k better spent on something else (assuming that is a roughly accurate price for optioning it separately). But FE buyers don't get that choice.
I do understand your point.

Captain.Kirk

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Interesting. Good to see the bonnet open (you can see the grime under the "wings" already). And I'm disappointed to hear the hill start doesn't work properly.

I had to laugh at his poor palm on the gearshift... a little too soft?
If like him you have much $$$ then you end up with much soft skin. Needs to do a little “manual” labour!

Captain.Kirk

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
For those that haven't been stalking this forum like a hawk over the past year and a half, I would think that this video is quite informative. Certainly this is the first time that the bonnet opening process has been captured on video so bonus points to Shmee for having a go at that.

I do wish Lotus found some way to incorporate a bonnet release latch though, as I can envisage myself opening it up after every car wash and cleaning/drying it all inside.
I was surprised how small the screws are that hold the bonnet in place. Lotus could have come up with a better fastening system than this. I know they want to deter us from opening the bonnet but you know we will. And we’ll probably be losing those screws sooner or later. Also, Shmee noted the water that doesn’t drain properly around the trunk perimeter. Overall a very good video though and largely very positive.

Captain.Kirk

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
So we have yet another example of a reviewer / owner being very disappointed / critical of the "premium" KEF sound system. As this is KEF's first foray into car audio and a big deal was made about it as a premium product, I wonder if they can hear the reaction of customers and at what point the embarrassment prompts some action from them?
It’s literally “sounding” like it was a bad move on Lotus’s part to hookup with KEF who had never done car audio before. If you’re going to have a sound system make it a decent one. If it truly is bad I probably won’t even use it. At least I’ll hear the engine/exhaust better!

CarGuy07

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Sound is a huge thing for me as I enjoy listening to music while driving. At $110K price tag, the car better have a good sound system. Heck, the Acura RDX at $40-45K has an amazing 360* system. For me personally, that’s a great selling point. I don’t want to be listening to the engine noise, wind noise, etc. all the time. And let’s be honest here, the Emira has super car looks but it is far from being a super car.

KJD

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
For those that haven't been stalking this forum like a hawk over the past year and a half, I would think that this video is quite informative. Certainly this is the first time that the bonnet opening process has been captured on video so bonus points to Shmee for having a go at that.
But didn’t he make undoing three screws into such a big event.
And then he couldn’t cope with some quarter-turn fasteners to show us the brake fluid pot and the fusebox.
He also couldn’t find the tyre inflator in the “toolkit” to show us that.

rs200evo

Reaction score
Sound is a huge thing for me as I enjoy listening to music while driving. At $110K price tag, the car better have a good sound system. Heck, the Acura RDX at $40-45K has an amazing 360* system. For me personally, that’s a great selling point. I don’t want to be listening to the engine noise, wind noise, etc. all the time. And let’s be honest here, the Emira has super car looks but it is far from being a super car.
You have to remember that sounds need space, and this is a small 2dr sports car (not an RDX size)! I think the KEF system is on par with other 2dr sports car I have, and those were really expensive options from the manufactures (Ferrari JBL/McLaren BW etc.) so need to be both realistic and keep things in perspective. My only comment on the system is that it gets better with volume, it's only at low volume it struggles a little to fill the spectrum.

Cachaco131

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
It wasn't meant to be a super car and doesn't have the price tag either. Better get the base one and upgrade to your liking (if you are not a FE).

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
You have to remember that sounds need space, and this is a small 2dr sports car (not an RDX size)! I think the KEF system is on par with other 2dr sports car I have, and those were really expensive options from the manufactures (Ferrari JBL/McLaren BW etc.) so need to be both realistic and keep things in perspective. My only comment on the system is that it gets better with volume, it's only at low volume it struggles a little to fill the spectrum.
I think it’s down to expectation, KEF entering the car market and their renowned quality had set hopes and aspirations especially for me.
@CarGuy07 echoes my views, engine noise is nice when I want it, n but I want music on a 2 hour slog on the motorway. Perhaps it needs 700w like in the 2 seater Aston Vantage to sound better - which is a £1500 option, not the rumoured 2500 Emira option.

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I still can't believe we don't have base spec option pricing yet. 🙄
I have a feeling they are trying to nail down availability and pricing of additional options not on the FE. The more they can delay announcement, the closer they can get to the start of Base production, the lower risk it is for them.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Equally FE buyers get a £2-3k discount on the total cost of the options. So although you don't get a choice, you could regard the KEF system as being included for free. On that basis, it's decent value for money 🙄 and on the Base Edition you will be able to include it or not, depending on whether you think it's worth a £2.5k premium.