New member considering Emira v 911 (992T)

meldog

Reaction score
Thanks for letting me join the forum.

Hope the owners who have received there cars are enjoying them.

I currently have a 718 Cayman and have a 911 (992 C2 or a 992T) on order, deposit was placed December 2021, still awaiting allocation.

Just wondering if anyone was considering going from a Cayman to an Emira, and has driven on. Interested to know your thoughts and expereinces. I do fancy the 911 I have on order but I could save circa £25k (which I would use towards a new daily driver).

The car will be used for about 6-8k during the year, mixed driving. No track days.

The shape, styling and engine of the Emira is something I quite fancy but slightly worried by some views on Lotus customer service and reliability.

I know waiting times are approx 60 weeks+ (that doesn't worry me given I have waited 12 months for a 911, which I haven't got yet). The Cayman isn't a bad car to be driving around in. I also have a Mini Cooper S R56 and a Porsche Taycan.

Any decent dealers within the Northwest of England that would be worth popping into?

Thanks for reading

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Welcome to the forum!

We have a few people considering an Emira against previous or planned Porsche ownership. You'll find several comparisons in the customer test drive reviews and in the Emira versus the Competition sub-forum - links below:

I've taken a copy of your first post and the subsequent Emira vs Porsche replies over into this new thread in the sub-forum:

Andrew P

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Thanks for letting me join the forum.

Hope the owners who have received there cars are enjoying them.

I currently have a 718 Cayman and have a 911 (992 C2 or a 992T) on order, deposit was placed December 2021, still awaiting allocation.

Just wondering if anyone was considering going from a Cayman to an Emira, and has driven on. Interested to know your thoughts and expereinces. I do fancy the 911 I have on order but I could save circa £25k (which I would use towards a new daily driver).

The car will be used for about 6-8k during the year, mixed driving. No track days.

The shape, styling and engine of the Emira is something I quite fancy but slightly worried by some views on Lotus customer service and reliability.

I know waiting times are approx 60 weeks+ (that doesn't worry me given I have waited 12 months for a 911, which I haven't got yet). The Cayman isn't a bad car to be driving around in. I also have a Mini Cooper S R56 and a Porsche Taycan.

Any decent dealers within the Northwest of England that would be worth popping into?

Thanks for reading
For me it is a simple choice - I absolutely want and love an Emira whereas a 911 or a Cayman is a good car but with no great desire or emotion. It functions very well but is a pretty boring shape. Having owned a Cayman (10 years ago) & driven one fairly recently their capabilities have significantly improved. I have been in a 911 but not driven one. For me the defining difference (aside from the looks) is how the car rides and flows down the road - the Lotus is simply better. I switched from Cayman to Evora and the difference was clear. Finally Lotus have built a car with a decent interior. I had issues with the Cayman so I don’t even believe Porsche is that reliable. So if you have driven one and you like it, buy an Emira - buy with your heart, not a spreadsheet calculation or perception about reliability or whatever.

Evotion

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
In short...

Emira > Cayman (Non GT versions) but Cayman/718 is likely the 'better' car in many instances. Emira is the more emotional purchase - which is nigh impossible to describe

911 > Emira . Here, I think the Emira only wins on rarity and looks, and perhaps more analogue.

Mind you, I originally wanted a GT3 and then went for the Emira over a 'normal' 911 but the Emira just ticks so many emotional boxes. If I was in a 911 I would be envious of the Emira driver but not the other way round.

Cachaco131

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
I drove a 992 Base yesterday during a long layover.

Immediate conclusion is that the base engine is rather sufficient, especially with the insane traction and all the weight on the rear tires. Don't see the need for the S/GTS or Turbo versions. So that's a bonus point for the T.

Now, the steering was rather average, really nothing remarkable, so I guess that's the same for the T...

PDK is comfortable but outright boring. So that's another bonus point for the manual T.

Exhaust was kind of quiet even in Sport, so I guess the sport exhaust will be another bonus on the T.

Suspension, not sure about the differences but I thought it was well sorted, comfortable for every day.

Size - felt wide and big. Especially the rear wheel arches forced me to pay some attention to avoid curbs. I was surprised.

Above all, it was such an easy daily driver! Easy ingress/egress, plenty of legroom and headroom. Technology was more than enough for me. Highway miles were a breeze.

Does it feel special? Probably less so than an Emira but still feels engaging enough to know you are driving something purposeful.

Now, I need to commute and put some 30k miles a year. Maybe I would feel bad abusing the car but hey, it's supposed to accomplish the daily-sporty combo.

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I’ve owned a 992 S - and if I was going to purchase another 911 in the current lineup it would be the T. Perfect Spec in a manual.

I also agree with @Evotion - nails the Porsche V Lotus argument.

Emira > Cayman GTS
GT4/Spyder > Emira
Emira ~ 911 T ( 911 wins for Daily, Emira wins for being more emotional )

For me personally, I do not daily my sports cars, so they are more weekend toys / emotional decisions. Only reason I sold my 911 was because it lacked a bit of soul/almost too good and bit boring - but I will say it is the perfect daily sports car and if that is the purpose I would take a 992 T any day over all of them.

Aerie Performance Lotus Emira Carbon Fiber Parts GregsRaceParts.com

Latest posts