New Member from California - Long Time Lotus addict, First Time Emira Owner

kertong

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Hi all,

Just took delivery of my FE 1.0 Emira V6S in Seneca Blue today!

Quick blurb on my history of cars. Started on Camaro Z28's (a 1995 LT1 6 speed, hotcammed, full exhaust, roller rockers etc), was all about V8's and that growl in my younger days - but it wasn't until I drove a friend's 1991 Acura NSX, that I realized how much fun a driver's car could be. It was probably the closest thing to a religious experience I've ever had - in the blink of an eye while behind the wheel of that delicious manually steered NSX, all the stuff I loved about corvettes and camaros just went out the window. Anyways, that got me started on a long history of chasing that addicting, exciting, and connected feeling - got an S2000, then eventually started driving 996 (base, 4S, GT3), 991.1 (S and GTS), 981s (boxster S, spyder), etc. Had a few Elises (and an Exige S) in between those cars, as well as the 1991 NSX that turned me onto this path! (but a whole host of issues, mainly parts availalbility and the mental burden of not knowing how repairable the next maintenance item would be), got to me. Am currently driving my wife's Boxster GTS 4.0 around while I was waiting for the Emira etc.

I've lately been really turned off of Porsche. Fantastic cars obviously, but it's the dealerships. My wife and I, in the past decade, have bought all our porsches (probably 10 or more) from one dealership, one guy. To his credit, he tried his best; but failed in getting us an allocation for the 992 GT3 when they first came out. Came back saying management was taking bids, starting at $50k over MSRP. That didn't work out, as I refused to pay markup for nothing - felt like they were preemptively taking the resale value and market premium from my hands. Fast forward a couple years (in between which my wife bought a boxster GTS 4.0 from them) - starting 6-8 months ago, I was back in the market for a car, and was looking for a cayman GT4; they could not get me one, and the preowned ones cost more than they were when new. And though they did offer me the GT4RS they had on the showroom floor; it was marked up $50k - but since I was "such a good customer", they would do me the amazing favor of charging me only $25k markup. That felt like a slap in the face, so I decided to vote with my wallet; was able to secure this slot for this Emira due to someone backing out last minute (so I do feel like I didn't truly 'earn' this car like the folks here who put their deposits down on day 1 and had to wait years through multiple delays, price hikes, and lack of communications from lotus corporate.... sorry)

Anyways, what can be said about the Emira has already likely been said here, so I won't spend too much time on it; but I do believe this Emira so far, is the closest spiritual successor to the original NSX that one could find today. I might have said it was an Evora or Cayman before this, but the Emira takes the crown.

One of the best things about that original NSX, other than the amazing steering, was the forward visibility. The beltline on the windshield is so low, that you see the road up until the very last second - it rushes up at you, then disappears right as it touches your toes - at least, that's how it felt.

So imagine my surprise when I got into my Emira today (yes, the first time I was in one and drove one was today when I went to pick it up haha), the first thing I notice is how low the front beltline is, and on top of that, the window sills to the left and right. Really nice forward facing, open cockpit feeling. I read every post in the test drive impressions thread here, and many noted that they felt the seat was too high for them. I never got that feeling; but I can understand why some would see it that way. I think we've gotten too accustomed to high silled cars (due to safety regs and all that). This car, I still felt low relative to the center of gravity of the car, but due to the lower sills and beltline, that open cockpit feeling was quite enjoyable.

The shifter reminds me a lot of the OG NSX as well. Clicks into gear nicely. Though - the shifter somewhat feels canted towards the driver, resulting in the Emira's 1/3/5 gears feeling somewhat shorter in throw distance than the 2/4/6 gears. I don't actually think this is the case and I know it's just in my head, but I kept feeling like in the 3/5 gears, I wasn't "all the way" in and would pop it out and push it back in just to be sure. A minor thing that I'm sure I'll get used to quickly.

Haven't seen any of the common issues I've noted here (bubbling paint, pad material missing and streaking the cailpers); but I do have an issue I haven't seen others mention. The side view mirrors are loose - so loose that at freeway speeds, the image in the mirror is moving left and right and I can't really see what's going on. Anyone else run into this? It feels like the mirror housing isn't being clamped down and is just loose rocking back and forth - I can wiggle it freely with my pink finger about a cm in each direction with some up/down play as well.

Anyhow, took some quick photos. Enjoy! I am immensely looking forward to the miles of smiles and memories with this car.

edit: fixed the loose mirrors! held l/r mirror buttons down to fold them in; at first only one of them folded in while the other whirred and did nothing; eventually both mirrors folded in, i kept holding the L/R buttons down and then the mirrors made an awful thunk/snapping sound. I let go then folded them back out, and now the mirrors are nice and stiff/firm. what a relief!

L1001739.jpg
L1001740.jpg
L1001722.jpg
L1001711.jpg
L1001708.jpg
L1001723.jpg

Last edited:

T6061

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Great photos. Congrats on the car. I had a 91 NSX for a little over three years and agree with you that the Emira seems like the closest spiritual successor to the OG NSX, the view, the steering, and the engagement in particular. The engine on the NSX was far more special (titanium connecting rods, 8000 RPM Redline, amazing howl in the cabin) but the Supercharged V6 has its own character (the supercharger whine!) and I would argue that the styling on the Emira is superior (Russel Carr's team knocked it out of the park). I'd be willing to bet that the chassis is far stiffer on the Emira (I seem to remember that Rahal and Senna both complained about chassis flex during the development of the NSX which had to be addressed) and while Gavin is probably too modest to compare himself to those guys there's no doubt about his suspension tuning skills. Enjoy your Emira and keep the photos (Fuji film emulations by chance?) and impressions coming!

OP
kertong

kertong

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Great photos. Congrats on the car. I had a 91 NSX for a little over three years and agree with you that the Emira seems like the closest spiritual successor to the OG NSX, the view, the steering, and the engagement in particular. The engine on the NSX was far more special (titanium connecting rods, 8000 RPM Redline, amazing howl in the cabin) but the Supercharged V6 has its own character (the supercharger whine!) and I would argue that the styling on the Emira is superior (Russel Carr's team knocked it out of the park). I'd be willing to bet that the chassis is far stiffer on the Emira (I seem to remember that Rahal and Senna both complained about chassis flex during the development of the NSX which had to be addressed) and while Gavin is probably too modest to compare himself to those guys there's no doubt about his suspension tuning skills. Enjoy your Emira and keep the photos (Fuji film emulations by chance?) and impressions coming!

I agree with pretty much every thing you said - that 8000RPM was something special! Especially the way it delivered its power - it wasn't a brutal amount by any means, but if you drew the power curve from 0-8000rpm, it would be a flat 45 degree line with maybe a gradual acceleration of the slope at 6k rpms. Interesting that in this motor, the vtec never "kicked in, yo", but gradually built up as well. Really fun to drive, especially with that really positive snick-snick shifter! People rave about the S2000 shifter (for good reason!), but I thought the early year NSX'es shifter had a little more bolt-action magic in it.

And yes, I wouldn't be surprised at all to find the emira's aluminum tub is stiffer by a significant margin over the NSX - especially when you're looking at the 95+ t-top models. The other thing is the center of gravity / the way it carried itself at higher limits - while I haven't been able to push the Emira hard yet, the early year NSX'es felt great up until 7/10th limit driving, at which point the weight in the rear *really* made itself known; almost felt like it was trying to pull the inside rear tire upwards and over the outer tire, haha!

Thank you on the photos - close on the fuji film simulation! I used the VSCO presets on some and toned down the blues to try and make seneca blue more accurate to real life (as the presets would really oversaturate and blow out the blues), and on some other photos I just tweaked by hand in post.

I do have some medium format film cameras I'll be using to shoot this car, and some gopro + beyerdynamic m201-tg mics for video; hope to get some accurate high quality audio of this car once I'm past the breakin point!

(edit: just noticed you're in san clemente, nice! I use thedarkroom for my film development and am always shipping my rolls off to san clemente, haha. also am a socal baby, grew up in torrance/palos verdes!)

FlyNavy01

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Glad you love the car. I agree entirely about Porsche. The GT car lineup are some of (if not the best) enthusiast cars that exist in my opinion, but it's being absolutely tarnished by the dealerships and their greed. Love to hear you refusing ADM, I am the same way. ADM's wouldn't exist if we all had the backbone to say no.

I also agree on really enjoying the lower sills and great cabin visibility in the Emira. I never feel too high, but rather enjoy that the door panels don't come up to your neck; a refreshing feeling for a small sports car. Less cocooned and more open and go-kart like. Great photos, I hope you continue to enjoy it in good health!

OP
kertong

kertong

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
2024 Dark Verdant 1st edition 2.0
Goodness, DV looks so good. It changes so much depending on light. And the tan interior is pretty much the perfect pairing for the DV! Love that its such a rich, cognac-y tan, vs a weak beige.

That first pic - I'm pretty sure I saw that on IG :)

Many miles of smiles await, enjoy in good health!! Hope you are enjoying it as much as I am enjoying mine :)

SlipNslide281

Reaction score
Goodness, DV looks so good. It changes so much depending on light. And the tan interior is pretty much the perfect pairing for the DV! Love that its such a rich, cognac-y tan, vs a weak beige.

That first pic - I'm pretty sure I saw that on IG :)

Many miles of smiles await, enjoy in good health!! Hope you are enjoying it as much as I am enjoying mine :)
LOL I barely have 128 miles trying my best to keep it below 4000rpm's. Work just started getting busy and have not been able to to get out and drive it. I hope to get out this weekend. Finally a week of great weather here in the Bay. Hope to meet you some day at one of the local popup events. Hit me up in Insta: adamhaysphotography_cars.