Sport+F1
Always prefer stiffer suspension; will only be street driving

Last edited:

PsymonR

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I'm getting Sport+F1s and I don't remember any automotive journalist testing/declaring that config. So I think Lotus PR (demo car spec) is to blame for the lack of commentary with this setup. That being said, I'm pleasantly surprised how many of us are getting Sport+F1. Hopefully chose wisely!
The Sport with Goodyear combo was on the car in the following evo review. In essence the review says at the limit on track the car with that combo feels less tied down than at other times but that it was less of an issue on the road.

KCMO68_510

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The Sport with Goodyear combo was on the car in the following evo review. In essence the review says at the limit on track the car with that combo feels less tied down than at other times but that it was less of an issue on the road.
Sounds right. I'm probably buying a second set of rims for track use anyways and the Goodyears will be for normal driving.

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I'm getting Sport+F1s and I don't remember any automotive journalist testing/declaring that config. So I think Lotus PR (demo car spec) is to blame for the lack of commentary with this setup. That being said, I'm pleasantly surprised how many of us are getting Sport+F1. Hopefully
The consensus was that sport / f1 was the most compromised setup. Not as comfortable for the road and not a true track setup - as proven by the EVO review.

With that said, I have driven all three setups now and for my personal taste I found the sport / F1 to be a great. Gave that extra bit of sharpness and more comfort than a GT4. If it was a daily I would have taken tour setup. This is a weekend toy for me and the sport suspension does give the best feel through the wheel and a bit sharper turn in and slightly less roll.

Catchpoole is driving sport / F1 in this review I believe.

freefall_junkie

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I've had my Sport/F1 Emira for a year now and I find it to be spot on for my tastes. It is certainly firm, but never crashy or harsh like you get in some Audis or BMWs. The payback from the firm ride in terms of feedback and precision is huge. I've mentioned this on here before, but I've owned two Exiges, and the way the Emira turns into a corner makes it feel like a big Exige. It really is razor sharp. Trust me American friends, if you like driving your sports car hard, you'll love it 😀

erich

Reaction score
Sport - Cup2 - Dallas, TX
Wasn't able to drive both, but I figured there is no way the sport suspension would be as hard as my bmw with solid subframe bushings.

nickorette

Reaction score
Touring -Toronto

The roads here are brutal, so going stiff is less confidence inspiring over bumpy roads. I had an Evora S a long time ago and that suspension was perfect. I asked Lotus customer care which was closer for Evora S and they said the tour suspension, so choice was easy

OP
Newguy1354

Newguy1354

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I'm a bit surprised. I guessed Sport overall and Sport team Mich would have a larger %.
I do remember when the demo cars were traveling around that the Lotus people were really pushing the Tour setup for some reason.

Rupes

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I'm a bit surprised. I guessed Sport overall and Sport team Mich would have a larger %.
I do remember when the demo cars were traveling around that the Lotus people were really pushing the Tour setup for some reason.
I wonder why Lotus would push touring - what benefit would come from that?

Has anyone seen an actual test on sport vs touring (both on F1's) to determine roadholding/G's? What if all this stiffness didn't equate to better handling?

Time2Fly

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
My dealer and test drive coordinator weren't. They were advocating Sport / Cup2 but this was San Jose, CA. Very little rain, pretty decent roads. Moving to a place with a decent amount of rain means F1s for me.

EZcheezy

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
maybe lotus official events pushed touring but a huge majority of the reviews favored sport

FlyNavy01

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I wonder why Lotus would push touring - what benefit would come from that?

Has anyone seen an actual test on sport vs touring (both on F1's) to determine roadholding/G's? What if all this stiffness didn't equate to better handling?
Because it's a car designed for small back roads. Conversely, what benefit would come from pushing sport?

Unpopular opinion, but the Emira doesn't have enough power to need Cup 2's and they result in the car being "overtired". Cornering G's would be marginally higher, but at the cost of too many other compromises. The car is more lively and fun when not always glued to the road.

DaaS

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I went with Sports. Lotus reps recommended that setup if I wanted a ride closer to an Evora GT.

allenyao09

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Sport - Michelin Cup2. Seems like the least popular option here. I wouldn't be driving it too much (2k - 3k miles/ year) so I went for the most aggressive set up.

K_Squared

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
For me, I thought I could easily handle a stiffer suspension than the touring cars I've driven but I also didn't want to worry if I was caught in the rain or cold. Since I won't track the car much (if at all), I went Sport + F1s which I've since heard is a fantastic combo.

Last edited:

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I read somewhere that for the I4 the touring is similar to the sport in the V6. I went for I4 touring because of this.
This was said by Matt Farah of the smoking tire. - Written in his road and track review.

"Like the V-6 variant, the Emira AMG is available in both “Sport” and “Touring” trim. The setups are unique based on the new rear geometries and lighter weight - the AMG comes in at a lithe 3,180 lbs DIN (curb weight with 90% fuel capacity). According to Lotus the four-cylinder is a bit firmer than the six in both trims, with “Touring” set up to the same stiffness as “Sport” in the six. After having spent five days road tripping the countryside in a V-6 Touring, we’re driving an AMG Sport on track and on the country roads near Hethel today, and the stiffer setup is notable (and, to me, less desirable), particularly with track-ready Michelin Cup2 tires. Long story short, we’d prefer the Touring for either engine you order."