My Emira and I survived our first track day!

Evotion

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Knockout Lotus and I completed our track day at Donnington today. Full video to come soon. Make sure you Subscribed at https://youtube.com/@revmonkey to see it.

20230522_094412.jpg

This is me, much relieved after surviving the track day unscathed.

Yeah , yeah... I know.... You thought this was Tom Cruise in Top Gun on the runway. 😬 :D

I will go into the details , with full track action, in the video but, in short:

• The car is a weapon around bends - even on Goodyears
  • Acceleration out of bends is not amazing BUT the grip helps out
  • Missed a few gears - of course
  • Engine gets hot!
  • Makes a great noise
  • Hits the rev limited A LOT!
  • The brakes start off great and go downhill fast - well, they seem to lose their bite but you do stop, just a tad scary
  • I don't like other cars around me

Oh, and the most important thing...

NO CAYMANS OVERTOOK ME

🫢😝:ninja:

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Knockout Lotus and I completed our track day at Donnington today. Full video to come soon. Make sure you Subscribed at https://youtube.com/@revmonkey to see it.

View attachment 26877

Yeah , yeah... I know.... You thought this was Tom Cruise in Top Gun on the runway. 😬 :D

I will go into the details , with full track action, in the video but, in short:

• Engine gets hot!
  • Makes a great noise
  • The brakes start off great and go downhill fast - well, they seem to lose their bite but you do stop, just a tad scary

NO CAYMANS OVERTOOK ME

You'll want to upgrade brake fluid if you'll be doing track days for sure. Brake fade is scary! Glad you had fun and looking forward to the video!

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

View attachment 26877

• Engine gets hot!
  • Makes a great noise

NO CAYMANS OVERTOOK ME

Interesting remark about engine getting hot during track thrashing. Given heat management concerns of i4 Turbo, I wonder what track experience will be like? Especially for those wanting higher tunes?

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Looking forward to some video of track time!

RE: Brakes, I don't think I've ever experienced a stock pad that has lasted more than a couple laps for me. Thankfully there should be tons of options for this car's pad shape and thickness.

OP
Evotion

Evotion

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I have Castle Coombe coming up and I plan to do the Nurburgring... Just 1 lap. That might be a bit smelly :)

Maurice R

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I have Castle Coombe coming up and I plan to do the Nurburgring... Just 1 lap. That might be a bit smelly :)
Lol smelly won’t be the only thing.
Serious brake fade if you go to Nurburgring even just 1 lap.
Did 4 laps there a few years back

Cachaco131

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order

View attachment 26877

• Engine gets hot!
  • Makes a great noise

NO CAYMANS OVERTOOK ME

How many Caymans our there and how good were the drivers? 😉

KCMO68_510

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Yes Upgrade brake fluid and if tracking fairly often then upgrade brake pad as well.
And as someone who has lost all brakes doing 125mph on a track, let me just say if you start questioning your brakes, don't let anyone talk you out of checking both the fluid and pads. Safety comes before race position.

Foxy87

Reaction score
Hmmm… the ring is quiet gentle to the brakes considering other GP tracks. If your brakes were „ok“ on something like the Hockenheimring, there is no need to upgrade for the NOS.

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
The trick is finding pads that can stand up to some track time, that also don't shriek like a banshee being murdered in a rusty blender when cold...

In all my years of experience -- my view on this is finding a middle ground balance just leads to a pad that is mediocre at everything.

Better off swapping in dedicated rotor and pads when you need them.

The alternative is carbon ceramic brake systems -- but I'm simply not rich enough to be throwing away money like that.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Lol smelly won’t be the only thing.
Serious brake fade if you go to Nurburgring even just 1 lap.
Did 4 laps there a few years back
The video of Shmee taking his stock Emira on the Ring suggests you can drive at a decent pace and multiple laps without brake or fluid upgrades.

Will be interesting to hear more feedback from others using their Emira on track.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
The Emira already comes with DOT4 brake fluid so it should be able to hold up to track use. @Evotion what you might want to look into, is upgrading the brake hoses to the wheels from rubber to braided stainless steel. As the rubber hoses get hot they get softer, so that causes them to expand and stretch more under brake pressure, which is what makes it feel like your brakes are going soft. Braided stainless steel hoses won't do that, so you'll get crisp and consistent braking pressure all the time.

mforde

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order

View attachment 26877

• Engine gets hot!
  • Makes a great noise

NO CAYMANS OVERTOOK ME

Sounds like loads of fun. Looking forward to the video. Love the "most important thing..." :)

DaaS

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The Emira already comes with DOT4 brake fluid so it should be able to hold up to track use. @Evotion what you might want to look into, is upgrading the brake hoses to the wheels from rubber to braided stainless steel. As the rubber hoses get hot they get softer, so that causes them to expand and stretch more under brake pressure, which is what makes it feel like your brakes are going soft. Braided stainless steel hoses won't do that, so you'll get crisp and consistent braking pressure all the time.
Evora GT came with stainless steel brake hoses. Is that not the case with Emira?

Attachments

• IMG_2239.jpeg
    IMG_2239.jpeg
    138.6 KB · Views: 39
OP
Evotion

Evotion

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Maybe it was just me panicking from going from abrupt braking feel to to "shit, what has happened to the brakes" :)

The car still stopped - just felt completely different.