EU Car Emissions Face Pushback

Andrew

Reaction score
This has been already agreed officially or it's just a proposal?

OP
981KMAN

981KMAN

Emira Fan
Reaction score
News article from Reuters explains it all in detail. Lots of info, yet there are enough votes to block any change to existing regs until 2035.

Andrew

Reaction score
And maybe Bio-Fuels will be a viable solution / alternative for petrol cars in the following years.
Porsche seems like they're really involved in this.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
So with the possibility of no new ICE Emission requirements until 2035 in the EU, how do you think this will affect Emira production longevity?

EU Car Emission Limits Face Pushback - Reuters
If this happens, that would definitely increase the likelihood of a higher performance street version, as well as increasing the longevity of Emira production. I was thinking if Lotus has enough orders for FE's to keep them going right up until they stop making ICE cars (which I believe was going to be 2028?) there wouldn't be any point in making a final edition, or even base cars at that point. If they can keep going until 2035, that would change things considerably.

I know Toyota, and now Ferrari, have stated they're going to continue making ICE engines and cars anyways; they're not going to switch to electric only. I believe Ford has also said they're now reconsidering switching to all electric, and are going to restart ICE production for some categories of vehicles.

I don't think ICE technology is going to go away as soon as the delusional greenies would like. Just not practical to do a complete sea change that fast.

Wolfram

Emira Fan
Reaction score
The UK is not part of the EU. The UK government has already stated that it will not follow the EU's policy of allowing synthetic fuels... all bets are on electric here, meaning we will be lumbered with the ecological nightmare of battery EVs. The 2035 date does not even apply to us - between 2030 and 2035 only hybrids are allowed.

Whether Lotus can continue manufacturing cars in the UK for sale to other markets remains to be seen.

action_turtle

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
It is completely irresponsible to force the entire planet to remove ICE vehicles. Billions of vehicles on the roads, and we should not be binning them all to replace them with EV's just to line the pockets of these officials, who must have a vested interest in all this, as it's insane.

Use what we have! Synthetics should be the single most important R&D task on the books today!

Cutting42

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
It is completely irresponsible to force the entire planet to remove ICE vehicles. Billions of vehicles on the roads, and we should not be binning them all to replace them with EV's just to line the pockets of these officials, who must have a vested interest in all this, as it's insane.

Use what we have! Synthetics should be the single most important R&D task on the books today!

Well for a start they are not doing that. You can still use your ICE as long as you like, nobody is "binning" billions of cars. Gov are doing what gov always do and that is incentivise change and then legislate for change. When it involves an evolving technology that complicates things but you have to start somewhere. Infrastructure takes time to build for BEV whilst Hybrid works just fine now.

Synthetics are only a partial answer as they still have emissions at the point of use. The solution is a combination of BEV/Hydrogen/Synthetics.

Concept24

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I agree that hybrids are a good balance. Those should never be banned if mileage meets a minimum number. I have a wrist watch book that includes the story of when "automatic" wrist watches were introduced. Very expensive tooling for mechanical watches by one manufacturer was destined to be destroyed. An employee instead saved the tooling, and it's a good thing he did because demand for famous mechanical watches did the opposite of disappear; it actually increased.
Today, many new mechanical watches and variants/hybrids are still being sold. Their demise was greatly exaggerated.

action_turtle

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Well for a start they are not doing that. You can still use your ICE as long as you like, nobody is "binning" billions of cars. Gov are doing what gov always do and that is incentivise change and then legislate for change. When it involves an evolving technology that complicates things but you have to start somewhere. Infrastructure takes time to build for BEV whilst Hybrid works just fine now.

Synthetics are only a partial answer as they still have emissions at the point of use. The solution is a combination of BEV/Hydrogen/Synthetics.
We will see how many ICE cars are removed from the roads when they; keep moving the entry conditions and prices for green zones, add loads more tax to petrol, tariff new parts to discourage repair, etc etc. People will start abandoning ICE cars as it’s too much hassle and too expensive to own. Like most things in the UK, they will just beat the public into submission via wallet and convenience.

I agree in an ideal world we would have all kinds of cars on the road, but i just don’t believe enough pockets have been lined to make that happen.