Break in Oil Change?

Hell4Leather

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Can you imagine the logistics of building, testing, and running in every single engine in a mass produced consumer focused car like the 2GR-FE? The internet is full of nonsense :D
It comes from a misunderstanding about “break in oil”. Manufacturers no longer use a specific oil just for the break in period because people nowadays are too stupid to follow the run in process and get the factory oil dropped at 1,000 miles. They just put regular oil in now so the “factory no longer uses break in oil” got replaced with “ I don’t need to run in the engine”.

Source: I’m old and I remember

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
It comes from a misunderstanding about “break in oil”. Manufacturers no longer use a specific oil just for the break in period because people nowadays are too stupid to follow the run in process and get the factory oil dropped at 1,000 miles. They just put regular oil in now so the “factory no longer uses break in oil” got replaced with “ I don’t need to run in the engine”.

Source: I’m old and I remember

You've got the logic backwards, people back then AND now are too stupid to follow the break in procedure so they idiot proofed it to what we have now. People didn't get dumber -- they've always been dumb.

Maurice R

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Definitely I just did mine last week
It was $170.

You've got the logic backwards, people back then AND now are too stupid to follow the break in procedure so they idiot proofed it to what we have now. People didn't get dumber -- they've always been dumb.
Very true. Just follow what is correct per manual or do you own thing.
To much nonsense and debate on this topic.

ADC

Just Jazzed About Being On The Show
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Can I start the endless which oil is best topic?
If mods ban me for life I understand...
I see your "best oil" topic, and I raise you an "oil additives" topic... 😁

Maurice R

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
how many miles to you have? you just got the car 6 weeks ago.

did they think you didn't need it but you just told them to do it?
1150 mile. You don’t need it but I told them to do it.
Every new car I have ever bought gets an oil change at 1000 miles
Then I do every 3000 miles. That’s just me.
I also change brake fluid at least one a year. If tracking I change every 6 months