Metal Shift Knob

Balboa

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
It's just dawning on me that the shift knob is metal. As i ponder this on a hot day in sunny California it occurs to me that hopping in and reaching for that in the summer will be like grabbing a handful of molten lava. Does Lotus use this shifter in any of there other cars? Can anyone speak to it?

Cheers

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220513-141013_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220513-141013_Gallery.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 160

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
This same metal shifter knob has also been used in Evora, Exige and Elise.

Good observation and I had the same thoughts. Yes I expect it to get very hot in the sun! I hear some Lotus owners put a shifter knob sock over it to make it warmer in the cold and cooler in the heat. 🤣 Lucky the air vents are right in front of it so a quick AC blast in a hot car should help.

I guess Lotus designers wanted to keep some of the design legacy going (including quirks).

When I saw it in person, it did feel lovely and looks quite nice. The slight texture of it makes it non slippery and it won’t wear out like Alcantara does.

TXEMIRA

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
It's just dawning on me that the shift knob is metal. As i ponder this on a hot day in sunny California it occurs to me that hopping in and reaching for that in the summer will be like grabbing a handful of molten lava. Does Lotus use this shifter in any of there other cars? Can anyone speak to it?

Cheers
2018 Evora same knob. Not sure how to explain it but it’s not even warm.

GetawayDriving

Emira Fiend
Reaction score

Cheers

Never had a problem in an Elise, and it was a black car in So Cal.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe there's some sort of coating on it that prevents it from absorbing too much heat? I've had metal shift knobs in the past that would get terribly hot! Even if so, they are easy enough to swap out. I'm sure some aftermarket company will offer some nice leather or Alcantara custom stitched options.

Schumacher

Reaction score
Maybe there's some sort of coating on it that prevents it from absorbing too much heat? I've had metal shift knobs in the past that would get terribly hot! Even if so, they are easy enough to swap out. I'm sure some aftermarket company will offer some nice leather or Alcantara custom stitched options.
No such coating exists.

NickR

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
If you think about what the knob is attached to .. (the linkage equipment etc) will act as a very large heat sink. Direct sun light on it will heat it somewhat but it should stay the same as the ambient temperature of the car.

NicolasB

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
If you think about what the knob is attached to .. (the linkage equipment etc) will act as a very large heat sink. Direct sun light on it will heat it somewhat but it should stay the same as the ambient temperature of the car.
Aluminum usually is 5 degrees F cooler than its surroundings.

4GIV8M3

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Like aluminum foil it transfers its heat very quickly so you'll never get burned

NicolasB

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
It's more about the relative heat of the metal, but it basically transfers heat so well, that when you touch it, the heat from the hand gets down into the metal and it feels cooler. Just like a 75° day feels nice, but 75° water feels cold to swim or shower in.

eriegz

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
It's more about the relative heat of the metal, but it basically transfers heat so well, that when you touch it, the heat from the hand gets down into the metal and it feels cooler. Just like a 75° day feels nice, but 75° water feels cold to swim or shower in.
I remember having my mind blown when I learned this phenomenon in my 8th grade science class, and I'm not saying that as a derogatory remark to anybody here, just that I have fond memories of that moment. 😄

NicolasB

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I remember having my mind blown when I learned this phenomenon in my 8th grade science class, and I'm not saying that as a derogatory remark to anybody here, just that I have fond memories of that moment. 😄
I have a very rare allergy to the cold (cold-induced urticaria) I developed at age 13. I learned quickly I am fine in air that is 50°F, but water has to be nearly 80°F before I can safely swim for more than 10 minutes (anaphylactic response). It's not as bad now (age 40), but still there.