Message from Matt Windle regarding Emira delays

Scruff111S

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
ok well depending on when I actually get my car/// early september I would imagine, then I may seek out those roads before heading back here, although Wales is another option for a day trip.
Yes, I have been told September, where abouts in this fine country do you reside?

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Yes, I have been told September, where abouts in this fine country do you reside?
I reside in barcelona, or well, the costa brava now to be precise, but I will be back in and around birmingham for the whole of august, when I should have had the emira, but surely now wont...
may be there to get it if it gets an early sept date, but not that hopeful.... then back to spain

Scruff111S

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I reside in barcelona, or well, the costa brava now to be precise, but I will be back in and around birmingham for the whole of august, when I should have had the emira, but surely now wont...
may be there to get it if it gets an early sept date, but not that hopeful.... then back to spain

Scruff111S

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Yes, the delays are messing with a lit of peoples plans. Are there any Lotus dealers in Spain?

Bilbao-Emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Yes, the delays are messing with a lit of peoples plans. Are there any Lotus dealers in Spain?
There was two of them:
Barcelona and Bilbao.

Now only Bilbao left, fortunately for me 5 mins from my house!
Since they have nothing to do at the moment, I have them on a training course with my Evora to get ready for the service on the Emira 😂

Bilbao-Emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Just found this video from my actual car done a couple of years ago in Bilbao.
Sorry it's in Spanish but I post it to get an idea of the driving conditions for when Emira arrives after the Spring/Summer, maybe Autumn delays.
Note it's on Sport Suspension and Cup 2´s

maybe Matt should consider chipping in the First Edition an umbrella and raincoat!

I hope the link works since it's the first time I try to insert from YouTube

Scruff111S

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Just found this video from my actual car done a couple of years ago in Bilbao.
Sorry it's in Spanish but I post it to get an idea of the driving conditions for when Emira arrives after the Spring/Summer, maybe Autumn delays.
Note it's on Sport Suspension and Cup 2´s

maybe Matt should consider chipping in the First Edition an umbrella and raincoat!

I hope the link works since it's the first time I try to insert from YouTube

Hi, yes video worked. Very poor driving conditions. Great car though. My Emira will not be going out on such a day. You are lucky to have a dealer so close, I will be collecting my Emira from a dealer 96 miles away.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I feel very sorry for the team at Lotus. They've created an amazing design, landed thousands and thousands of deposits, and then the world gets smashed by unprecedented supply chain and logistics problems . . . talk about bad luck. (And yes, I know that their communications could be better).
They launched their last car, the Evora, at the start of the global financial crisis.

I’m wondering if we should use Lotus car launches as leading indicators of impending economic shocks. If so, with one new model a year to 2025 it’s maybe time to prepare for a bumpy few years.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Are you attending the first session today Tom?
I’m not. I did the old Bronze and Silver levels in Elise/Exige and have ridden in the Emira, so figured I’ll wait till I’ve had my car for a few months and maybe do LDA Gold next spring. I need to organise a track day with some instruction in the Exige for late summer in the meantime.

4380r

Emira Fan
Reaction score
ahhhh but but... it actually wasnt a Lotus at the turin show at all, it was an Ital design car, not owned or designed by Lotus, just a design they hoped on a wing that Lotus would be interested in and with the public interest in the design, well Chapman then became equally interested. Only after the show did chapman start the 18 month process with Ital to turn it into a Lotus, so from Nov 72 to lets say May 74 for it to become a "Lotus", leaves them 2 years to then get it out to customers, so really they are bang on for us, even ahead of schedule :).
Actually, when I wanted a new Elise cup 250, in LHD, I called various UK dealerships, silverstone included and I was told x months and x price and x discount, in fact one dealer even said it would cost me over list price as its LHD and thats extra.... Eventually, I spoke to a now cancelled Lotus dealer, who they themselves contacted Lotus, which I believe not many of the others bothered doing, and they found me actual 2 cars in production, soon to be heading to Italy and I could have one of them if I wanted in about 4 weeks!!! Talk about quick!!!
So, sometimes its not the manufacturer that gives misleading information (in this case it is of course haha), but the dealers can also be a nightmare and this is what Lotus are trying to avoid, although in my case, they deleted the better one, which I used to get my car and kept some of the others, which were very disappointing in my experience...
There is so much room for a new Esprit :) but I guess thats what the Emira is....
I believe the Turin car was simply referred to as “The Silver Car.”

bzalforno

Reaction score
I wonder whether the base £59,995 remains. I suppose with no options price published they could recover some margin loss there
What about us poor Americans who will not get an FE?
Are we going to pay outrageous ala carte prices, reflecting huge cost increases, for an equivalently equipped car to an FE? My dealer took my $2500 deposit but did not give me a price. So I assume Matt's commitment to holding prices, does not apply to all of us. I have not even heard how many FE cars will they will produce. I am number 74 on my dealer's list, so i don't see an FE car in my future at$ 107,000.

any thoughts from all of you deposit holders?

Rudolph

Emira Fan
Reaction score
The energy crisis could limit European car production by up to 40 percent in the near future, S&P Global Mobility reports in a report called 'Winter is Coming'. Both energy shortages and excessive energy prices can lead to temporary production stops.

Market researcher S&P Global Mobility predicts that the European car industry in particular will be hit hard by the energy crisis. While S&P previously expected European production of 4 to 4.5 million cars per quarter for the coming period, S&P already predicts a strong reduction from this quarter (Q4-2022). This was previously deployed due to the corona restrictions and chip shortages, and is now increasing further due to the energy crisis.

According to the agency, European production could fall to between 2.75 and 3 million cars per quarter. Moreover, that reduction could just continue throughout 2023, according to S&P. Where previously the energy costs per car produced were around €50, that amount has recently increased to between €687 and €773 per car. As a result, car manufacturers may stop production because producing cars is simply no longer profitable. This could happen especially at smaller factories, according to S&P. In addition to high energy prices, possible energy shortages also play a role in the forecast - especially if the winter turns harsh.

Although production costs in Europe are rising faster than elsewhere in the world, partly because of the previous dependence on Russian gas, the consequences will be felt everywhere. Many parts that are also used in factories on other continents are produced in Europe. The factories that produce those parts are of course also affected by the energy crisis. Worldwide, the long delivery times for new cars are not expected to decrease for the time being.

deadcruiser

Reaction score
The energy crisis could limit European car production by up to 40 percent in the near future, S&P Global Mobility reports in a report called 'Winter is Coming'. Both energy shortages and excessive energy prices can lead to temporary production stops.

Market researcher S&P Global Mobility predicts that the European car industry in particular will be hit hard by the energy crisis. While S&P previously expected European production of 4 to 4.5 million cars per quarter for the coming period, S&P already predicts a strong reduction from this quarter (Q4-2022). This was previously deployed due to the corona restrictions and chip shortages, and is now increasing further due to the energy crisis.

According to the agency, European production could fall to between 2.75 and 3 million cars per quarter. Moreover, that reduction could just continue throughout 2023, according to S&P. Where previously the energy costs per car produced were around €50, that amount has recently increased to between €687 and €773 per car. As a result, car manufacturers may stop production because producing cars is simply no longer profitable. This could happen especially at smaller factories, according to S&P. In addition to high energy prices, possible energy shortages also play a role in the forecast - especially if the winter turns harsh.

Although production costs in Europe are rising faster than elsewhere in the world, partly because of the previous dependence on Russian gas, the consequences will be felt everywhere. Many parts that are also used in factories on other continents are produced in Europe. The factories that produce those parts are of course also affected by the energy crisis. Worldwide, the long delivery times for new cars are not expected to decrease for the time being.

Not to mention the current Iranian oil strike. IIRC China buys a lot of oil from Iran so if they can no longer get it from there, they'll then go to other suppliers, creating competition for other countries and thus raising prices due to increased demand / lessened supply. This definitely will also trickle down to operational/transport/production costs for items made in China and globally as well.