Message from Matt Windle regarding Emira delays

Mickle

Reaction score
Except we didn't see it rolling off the production line, we saw it parked up in an inspection bay and have no idea how complete it actually was.

The problems seem to relate to producing customer car #2 and onwards. If they'd even built the first 20 I think we'd have heard about it by now.
Yeah, it seemed to be missing the rubber strip across the bonnet and centre caps on the wheels too. I wonder how many cars the driving academy have?

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Yeah, it seemed to be missing the rubber strip across the bonnet and centre caps on the wheels too. I wonder how many cars the driving academy have?
5 apparently, including 1 Touring and 4 Sports. We’ll know more after tomorrow’s first session.

scarzie

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Anyone know the Lotus definition and time frame of the word soon?
6nmquc.jpg

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
And the “official” definition:

A point in the near future that sounds sufficiently plausible and reasonable that customers will be prepared to wait for that period of time rather than make a fuss, typically 1-2 weeks or a month. But actually never.

See for example “when are you publishing pictures of Dark Verdant” or “when will you provide an update on my delivery date”.

Nick in Sydney

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I feel very sorry for the team at Lotus. They've created an amazing design, landed thousands and thousands of deposits, and then the world gets smashed by unprecedented supply chain and logistics problems . . . talk about bad luck. (And yes, I know that their communications could be better).

Scruff111S

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
And the “official” definition:

A point in the near future that sounds sufficiently plausible and reasonable that customers will be prepared to wait for that period of time rather than make a fuss, typically 1-2 weeks or a month. But actually never.

See for example “when are you publishing pictures of Dark Verdant” or “when will you provide an update on my delivery date”.
Good morning Tom, yes, not exactly the Cambridge dictionary definition then. I have seen a Magma Red out in the wilds, and a multi coloured development car, on the same day. I have been told August manufacture for September delivery. But after many delivery dates have past, I will not believe it till I am driving it home from Lotus Silverstone and seeing it in my garage.

Scruff111S

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I feel very sorry for the team at Lotus. They've created an amazing design, landed thousands and thousands of deposits, and then the world gets smashed by unprecedented supply chain and logistics problems . . . talk about bad luck. (And yes, I know that their communications could be better).
Communications could be better. Is the understatement of the century.

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Perhaps they are looking at doing an S1 Esprit. First shown at the Turin motor show in November 1972 with first customer car being delivered in mid to late 1976. So, another 3 years to go then guys.
ahhhh but but... it actually wasnt a Lotus at the turin show at all, it was an Ital design car, not owned or designed by Lotus, just a design they hoped on a wing that Lotus would be interested in and with the public interest in the design, well Chapman then became equally interested. Only after the show did chapman start the 18 month process with Ital to turn it into a Lotus, so from Nov 72 to lets say May 74 for it to become a "Lotus", leaves them 2 years to then get it out to customers, so really they are bang on for us, even ahead of schedule :).
Actually, when I wanted a new Elise cup 250, in LHD, I called various UK dealerships, silverstone included and I was told x months and x price and x discount, in fact one dealer even said it would cost me over list price as its LHD and thats extra.... Eventually, I spoke to a now cancelled Lotus dealer, who they themselves contacted Lotus, which I believe not many of the others bothered doing, and they found me actual 2 cars in production, soon to be heading to Italy and I could have one of them if I wanted in about 4 weeks!!! Talk about quick!!!
So, sometimes its not the manufacturer that gives misleading information (in this case it is of course haha), but the dealers can also be a nightmare and this is what Lotus are trying to avoid, although in my case, they deleted the better one, which I used to get my car and kept some of the others, which were very disappointing in my experience...
There is so much room for a new Esprit :) but I guess thats what the Emira is....

Scruff111S

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
ahhhh but but... it actually wasnt a Lotus at the turin show at all, it was an Ital design car, not owned or designed by Lotus, just a design they hoped on a wing that Lotus would be interested in and with the public interest in the design, well Chapman then became equally interested. Only after the show did chapman start the 18 month process with Ital to turn it into a Lotus, so from Nov 72 to lets say May 74 for it to become a "Lotus", leaves them 2 years to then get it out to customers, so really they are bang on for us, even ahead of schedule :).
Actually, when I wanted a new Elise cup 250, in LHD, I called various UK dealerships, silverstone included and I was told x months and x price and x discount, in fact one dealer even said it would cost me over list price as its LHD and thats extra.... Eventually, I spoke to a now cancelled Lotus dealer, who they themselves contacted Lotus, which I believe not many of the others bothered doing, and they found me actual 2 cars in production, soon to be heading to Italy and I could have one of them if I wanted in about 4 weeks!!! Talk about quick!!!
So, sometimes its not the manufacturer that gives misleading information (in this case it is of course haha), but the dealers can also be a nightmare and this is what Lotus are trying to avoid, although in my case, they deleted the better one, which I used to get my car and kept some of the others, which were very disappointing in my experience...
There is so much room for a new Esprit :) but I guess thats what the Emira is....
Yes you are right, sorry. I miss read it. It was launched as a Lotus in the Autumn of 1975 with customers getting cars mid to late 1976. Far better than now I think. When I purchased a 2 year old S2 Elise, it was somewhat quicker. Test drove it on the Tuesday and collected it on the Wednesday. Seems second hand is much more straightforward than new when it comes to Lotus.

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Yes you are right, sorry. I miss read it. It was launched as a Lotus in the Autumn of 1975 with customers getting cars mid to late 1976. Far better than now I think. When I purchased a 2 year old S2 Elise, it was somewhat quicker. Test drove it on the Tuesday and collected it on the Wednesday. Seems second hand is much more straightforward than new when it comes to Lotus.
do you have many good driving roads out by you? Ive been to telford a few times, but cant remember too much.... of the roads

Scruff111S

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
do you have many good driving roads out by you? Ive been to telford a few times, but cant remember too much.... of the roads
Yes, I have got some roads planned for when the Emira does eventually turn up. I have however had to cancel a trackday with Lotus on Track at Oulton Park in October. Very disappointed as Oulton is my favourite track.

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Yes, I have got some roads planned for when the Emira does eventually turn up. I have however had to cancel a trackday with Lotus on Track at Oulton Park in October. Very disappointed as Oulton is my favourite track.
ok well depending on when I actually get my car/// early september I would imagine, then I may seek out those roads before heading back here, although Wales is another option for a day trip.