Message from Matt Windle regarding Emira delays

Green

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Personally the delay does not really bother me. I do think since we are in a waiting pattern it would be nice if Lotus would allow people to make minor changes to the spec that they have chosen. It would probably appease some of the people that are growing impatient. It especially makes sense to me now that we all have better pictures and information.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
So if the waitlist for the Emira a few months back was at 18-24 months before all the reviews were out. Do we now think that waitlist for new deposit holders will be closer to 24-36 months? They pushed delivery from June to September and clearly are not producing at the same rate as they thought they would. It would be reasonable to me that some people placing deposits today would be getting a car in Q1 2025? There is a possibility that all V6 manual Emira's may be sold already. I have heard that most (not all) dealers are no longer accepting deposits in the US, anyone know if that is true?
It's not 18-24 months. It was 60-65 weeks (14-15 months) just before the most recent press reviews around 7 June and the email/video. They've been taking about 50 new deposits per day since the reviews. So say another 1,250 (about 8-10 weeks production) and they've delayed delivery start by 2 months. So by my maths that means a deposit today is 74-84 weeks away from delivery = 17-19 months which is Oct-Dec 2023.

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
It's not 18-24 months. It was 60-65 weeks (14-15 months) just before the most recent press reviews around 7 June and the email/video. They've been taking about 50 new deposits per day since the reviews. So say another 1,250 (about 8-10 weeks production) and they've delayed delivery start by 2 months. So by my maths that means a deposit today is 74-84 weeks away from delivery = 17-19 months which is Oct-Dec 2023.
Ok so not 2025! Is that 50 deposits per day in the UK or worldwide? Also the 60-65 week estimate was based on a more productive start and 2nd shift in '23. It doesn't look like the supply situation will allow that plan to be fully implemented at this point. I would hesitate a guess that people depositing today in N/A at least to be expecting cars in 2024, based on the 2,400 total 2023 allocations (700 FE). I am sure that in US and CAN they far exceed that number(2,400) by a very large margin.

scarzie

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I pointed this out to three key Lotus people at Goodwood. Reactions of "are you sure they didn't get it", "yes I know" and "in the US it's the dealers who need to communicate it" šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø
Naples Motorsports sent the video out to their customers 6/16, at least when I got my email. Shame if other dealers did not forward it on

New to Lotus

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Truth is lotus have no idea when they can supply you a car, just as many other manufacturers. The difference is in the communication, lotus keep putting a date on it then cancelling that date, the other 2 cars I have on order from 2 different manufacturers have both said they will get my car as soon as they can!.
Until lotus has every part needed to build the car at the factory with every employee trained fully to build said car and all regulatory paper work signed allowing manufacturer and sales of that car they can not put a date on it.
Most people now accept they aren't getting a car until all the above criteria are met.
LOTUS just be honest about it and stop over promising and under delivering its doing you no good.

Toomanyloti

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
sorry if i mentioned this before but we ordered 2 taycans last year. we got one in 5/6 months and it came without a power column mine came in about 10 months and the week it was being built i got the call saying its coming without the matrix headlights.
Basically tough tit. Its annoying but I would rather wait for it to be right and get it when its ready. Comms could be a bit better but we have no idea the pain they must be in.
I do point this out to customers that we don't deliberately set out to do things arse about face to p!ss folk off, sometimes it can't be helped but we'll move mountains to fix any problems. Creating work and ill feeling wont be in Lotus Employee Handbook thats for sure

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Stock piling parts takes space and capital. Most manufacturers work to just in time supplies for the above reasons.
No smart person would double down on JIT purchasing methods after witnessing the pandemic production stoppages of 2020. We're still in a pandemic and everyone knows that. The whole idea of waiting months with a parts order in hand before you place it because you think it's going to save you a tiny bit of cashflow and still get the parts on time... is like a bug throwing itself at the blue light. It may look enticing, but the ZAP is inevitable.

Lankan

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I think theyā€™re all trying to do the best they can.

Theyā€™re dependent on a stack of suppliers, some of whom appear to be more open with Lotus than others. The auto gearboxes are from Toyota - a key long term strategic partner - who seem to have only shared delay info recently. Perhaps thatā€™s their suppliers also contributing to the delay.
According to Reuters, Toyota have just cut global production by 50,000 vehicles, so not surprised that those who Toyota themselves supply, and other suppliers that Lotus are dependent on, will also experience delays as a result of semiconductor (chip) shortages and other supply chain issues: Toyota cuts July global production plan by 50,000 vehicles (22 Jun 2022)

Last edited:

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
No smart person would double down on JIT purchasing methods after witnessing the pandemic production stoppages of 2020. We're still in a pandemic and everyone knows that. The whole idea of waiting months with a parts order in hand before you place it because you think it's going to save you a tiny bit of cashflow and still get the parts on time... is like a bug throwing itself at the blue light. It may look enticing, but the ZAP is inevitable
Lotus are no different to Porsche, JLR and other manufacturers. They aren't exactly knocking them out of the factory.

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
You're one of the most prolific posters about these delays. You could post less, I think we're all aware of the delays :)
I am prolific in many other ways too Tom :cool:
If I post less, what else am I supposed to do with my life? My life has come to this I am afraid... :(
I dont think I've ever started a thread about delays or even brought up the topic to be honest. All I have done is answer others comments about them, when generally I am just trying to put them into perspective or giving feedback to others who want to know if others are in the same position. I dont think I have complained about the delay in quite a while, unlike many others, as I am over it now.
but duly noted none the less šŸ‘€

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I am prolific in many other ways too Tom :cool:
If I post less, what else am I supposed to do with my life? My life has come to this I am afraid... :(
I dont think I've ever started a thread about delays or even brought up the topic to be honest. All I have done is answer others comments about them, when generally I am just trying to put them into perspective or giving feedback to others who want to know if others are in the same position. I dont think I have complained about the delay in quite a while, unlike many others, as I am over it now.
but duly noted none the less šŸ‘€
Don't worry I'm trying to see if we can get a good deal on group therapy, I think we all need it.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
group therapy or forum therapy ..haha
yeh its a bad sign when you spend your time talking to people you dont know about a car you have never seen (in person)

Meh.. There are worse ways to spend your time. I've enjoyed my time here for the most part and time spent enjoyed is never time wasted. šŸ˜‰

incrediblybad

Reaction score
yeh its a bad sign when you spend your time talking to people you dont know about a car you have never seen (in person)
That's unfair... I got to see the car in person ;)

Attachments

• PXL_20220515_024725451.jpg
    PXL_20220515_024725451.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 56

Mctaff

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I agreeā€¦ this is the therapy (or maybe more an echo chamberā€¦ hey-ho)

Youā€™ve not seen it yet?

Youā€™re in for a treat!

Itā€™s got bags of visual presence. Even my wife really liked it and sheā€™s not that interested in cars normally.

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
I agreeā€¦ this is the therapy (or maybe more an echo chamberā€¦ hey-ho)

Youā€™ve not seen it yet?

Youā€™re in for a treat!

Itā€™s got bags of visual presence. Even my wife really liked it and sheā€™s not that interested in cars normally.
nope.. its made its way to do various tests and stuff about 100 km from where I live, outside of barcelona, but I have not had the pleasure yet and of course the dealer, 800 miles away or so, does not have one, as no one has one.. hah.

but yes, you can tell its stunning, no need to see it in person, but it would be nice

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
So.... is it easier to wait if you haven't actually seen it, or is waiting even harder? Enquiring minds want to know....

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
So.... is it easier to wait if you haven't actually seen it, or is waiting even harder? Enquiring minds want to know....
haha..... good question.
I am so confident that it will fulfil every thought I have of it, at least design wise and hopefully every which way wise, that seeing it in person is just a bonus at this stage. I would say maybe the waiting is harder if you have seen it.... I am still quite removed from it and it will be the start of August before I can possibly see it, as I guess then dealers will have some to show when I get to the UK.