• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Magma Red Lotus Emira Photo Thread

Daz

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Pasting my comments from the other thread, I don't think so, for a couple reasons:
  • If it were external condensation from say, early morning dew / fog, then you'd see it over the entire car body (I feel like cars in this state tend to appear "matte"). Instead, the outside of the car's body appears dry and glossy.
  • If it were external condensation from driving, then you'd see streaks as the moisture beads got pushed backwards by the wind. Instead, it's evenly-covered, the way you would expect if it were on the inside.
All my opinions, anyways. I just feel like I've seen enough foggy headlights to recognize the patterns when I see them. :p
You can see that the entire bonnet (hood) is covered in condensation

eriegz

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
You can see that the entire bonnet (hood) is covered in condensation
I think I see what you're referring to, but I'm just not sure if that's condensation or just a reflection. Who knows!

In any case, obviously nobody wants condensation inside of their car's headlights, including Lotus. And if it turned out that the Emira prototypes' headlights were indeed leaky, then I'm sure that Lotus would no doubt fix that on the production vehicles. :)

Reactions: Daz

s2kmunpo

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
This happened to the lights on my Porsche and many many other owners. Depending on how the lights are designed it may be completely normal. Here is what Porsche says about theirs:

The following lighting components:
  • Headlights
  • Side direction indicator light
  • Front direction indicator light
  • Fog lights
  • Auxiliary headlights
  • License plate light
  • Tail light
  • Additional brake light
Concern:

Customers complain that lighting components are fogged up.

Particularly at cold outside temperatures and/or when air humidity is high, moisture can build up on the inside of the lens.

Lighting components are not designed to be completely leak-tight due to the open, spray water-proof ventilation system (required for pressure compensation purposes).

A build-up of moisture on lighting components is not caused by a defect and does not reduce the light output in any way. For this reason, if lighting components fog up, this is not a safety-relevant complaint and does not necessarily justify replacement of the affected lighting components.

roundincircles

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
This happened to the lights on my Porsche and many many other owners. Depending on how the lights are designed it may be completely normal. Here is what Porsche says about theirs:

The following lighting components:
  • Headlights
  • Side direction indicator light
  • Front direction indicator light
  • Fog lights
  • Auxiliary headlights
  • License plate light
  • Tail light
  • Additional brake light
Concern:

Customers complain that lighting components are fogged up.

Particularly at cold outside temperatures and/or when air humidity is high, moisture can build up on the inside of the lens.

Lighting components are not designed to be completely leak-tight due to the open, spray water-proof ventilation system (required for pressure compensation purposes).

A build-up of moisture on lighting components is not caused by a defect and does not reduce the light output in any way. For this reason, if lighting components fog up, this is not a safety-relevant complaint and does not necessarily justify replacement of the affected lighting components.
My 718 GT4 lights have moisture on the inner lens.......

eriegz

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
From the OP's mouth:

SmartSelect_20220526-135535_Chrome.jpg

I think we're in the clear! We can all go back to discussing the ride height now. 😆

Eureka

Reaction score
This may (or may not!) help but here's a comparison with Mazda's Soul red. Apologies they're just taken with my old iPhone 6 on a sunny day - and I'm no expert on colours, just my opinion. To my eyes at the time, when the sunlight is reflecting directly back at you, Magma is darker and more red - whereas Soul is brighter, almost orange (first photo). However, in indirect light, Magma is actually a touch lighter (last but one photo). Everywhere in between they're reasonably similar. Maybe the Magma has a tiny hint of brown in it - but this is only apparent when compared side by side like this.

Direct light:
IMG_20220527_102940.JPG
IMG_20220527_103052.JPG
IMG_20220527_103056.JPG
IMG_20220527_103101.JPG
IMG_20220527_103105.JPG

Indirect light:
IMG_20220527_102956.JPG
IMG_20220527_103009.JPG
IMG_20220527_103136.JPG

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
This may (or may not!) help but here's a comparison with Mazda's Soul red. Apologies they're just taken with my old iPhone 6 on a sunny day - and I'm no expert on colours, just my opinion. To my eyes at the time, when the sunlight is reflecting directly back at you, Magma is darker and more red - whereas Soul is brighter, almost orange (first photo). However, in indirect light, Magma is actually a touch lighter (last but one photo). Everywhere in between they're reasonably similar. Maybe the Magma has a tiny hint of brown in it - but this is only apparent when compared side by side like this.

Direct light:
View attachment 6021View attachment 6022View attachment 6023View attachment 6024View attachment 6025

Indirect light:
View attachment 6020View attachment 6018View attachment 6019
Great photos!

Its a shame that you didn't have the sample disc the other way around as well. When it is convex, it catches more light and appears to be brighter. When concave then the center of the disc is about right and the edges go darker.

Eureka

Reaction score
Great photos!

Its a shame that you didn't have the sample disc the other way around as well. When it is convex, it catches more light and appears to be brighter. When concave then the center of the disc is about right and the edges go darker.
Good point, best to look at the very centre of the disc for the true colour.

Unfortunately I couldn't turn the disc around because it's only magnetic on it's base. I suppose I could have held it up though...oh well!

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Good point, best to look at the very centre of the disc for the true colour.

Unfortunately I couldn't turn the disc around because it's only magnetic on it's base. I suppose I could have held it up though...oh well!
You’re still awesome for posting these, this helps a lot — def not anywhere near soul red.

Wizardwings

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Soul red is a cracking colour, but unfortunately Magma isn’t the same. If it wasn’t on the Emira, it’s rather boring imo. So many similar reds on the road at the moment.
I’m inclined to agree (and I have magma ordered). For all the chatter about how the paints are using cutting edge technology and the travel between light and dark dazzling, from the pictures so far Magma comes nowhere near Mazdas soul crystal red nor Acura’s Valencia red.

EM33RA

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I’m inclined to agree (and I have magma ordered). For all the chatter about how the paints are using cutting edge technology and the travel between light and dark dazzling, from the pictures so far Magma comes nowhere near Mazdas soul crystal red nor Acura’s Valencia red.
It’s all marketing hype. As it sits everything Lotus are saying I’d take with a grain of salt. I’m hopeful in being pleasantly surprised when I get my car. At the same time I’m not holding my breath as an early adopter.

Easy to talk the talk but so much harder to walk the walk per say.

xen

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Thought the exact same thing. Looks like a good metallic red but nothing else.

Seneca, for a brand new colour, is also strikingly close to Daytona blue.

hbar

Reaction score
Looks pretty close to soul red to my eye. I think that's great; I daily drive a soul red Mazda and love the color. I ordered my Emira in magma. I guess I will have a very monochromatic garage.

Mike-engel

Emira Fiend
Reaction score

Direct light:
View attachment 6021View attachment 6022View attachment 6023View attachment 6024View attachment 6025

Indirect light:
View attachment 6020View attachment 6018View attachment 6019
If you want to see a really special red, have a look at soul red in the sunlight while wearing a pair of Oakley sunglasses. Holy mackerel!

Wizardwings

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I was at GVE London last week. They had a Pista in Fiorano with black wheels - my spec - it looked VERY similar to the car we saw at the factory. Looks the absolute NUTS!
Glad to hear it looks nuts! After seeing the nimbus pics, I was questioning my choice on magma.