• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Magma Red Lotus Emira Photo Thread

eriegz

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Same car, different colour. This confusion has taught me one thing: phone cameras can’t be trusted. Is red particularly hard for their sensors to render?

View attachment 5892
View attachment 5893
In my view the more likely culprit is that you have all these phones, on different operating systems, with different camera software, which is bundled together with various features like "enhance sliders", HDR, etc., which some people leave on, others switch off, and then you have social media and instant messaging apps themselves which offer additional photo editing capabilities, and on and on it goes...

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Same car, different colour. This confusion has taught me one thing: phone cameras can’t be trusted. Is red particularly hard for their sensors to render?

View attachment 5892
View attachment 5893
The second image looks more authentic to me, closer resembling the sample discs I remember. But nothing beats a real-world inspection with the human eye!

R1272

Emira Fan
Reaction score
The answer to your question is yes. Red is a tough color for processing.

With that said, also yes to the fact that different phone cameras / different 'photo enhance' software etc. will all represent the same color completely differently. Look how some photos of Seneca make it look baby blue, which is completely wrong.

Wizardwings

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Cayman appears to be signal green (note the variability under different light intensities). Magma looks pretty close to the shadowy areas in the configurator.
CleanShot 2022-05-25 at 13.09.27@2x.png

CleanShot 2022-05-25 at 13.01.56@2x.png

Balboa

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
How does Magma compare to Tesla red? (Which also looks VERY different depending on lighting)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220525-175739_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220525-175739_Gallery.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 39
  • Screenshot_20220525-184041_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220525-184041_Chrome.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
How does Magma compare to Tesla red? (Which also looks VERY different depending on lighting)

I've got to imagine the Model 3 / Y red is considerably brighter than magma, and it also doesn't have any orange metallic component to it like magma does. That's my best guess from all the images provided and knowing the Tesla red well since I have a red model 3.

Eureka

Reaction score

View attachment 5892
View attachment 5893

I currently have Magma on order but don't want it to be too dark nor too light/orangey. (Clearly I'm looking for "Goldilocks red"?). I'd be ok if it's like the 1st photo (just) but not so much the 2nd one. The photo from Matt Saunder's tweet above suggests it's more like the 2nd photo.

I've seen the Seneca blue in real life and it's really nice - I would choose this but I have an Elise in a very similar colour (Daytona), so would prefer something different. Nimbus might be nice too - but have had many grey/silver cars in the past and feel the Emira deserves something that stands out a bit more. Mind you, I could stick with the tan leather if I went Nimbus, which I would also quite like.

The more I think about it all the less certain I am about any colour... isn't it great to have these first world problems!

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I currently have Magma on order but don't want it to be too dark nor too light/orangey. (Clearly I'm looking for "Goldilocks red"?). I'd be ok if it's like the 1st photo (just) but not so much the 2nd one. The photo from Matt Saunder's tweet above suggests it's more like the 2nd photo.

I've seen the Seneca blue in real life and it's really nice - I would choose this but I have an Elise in a very similar colour (Daytona), so would prefer something different. Nimbus might be nice too - but have had many grey/silver cars in the past and feel the Emira deserves something that stands out a bit more. Mind you, I could stick with the tan leather if I went Nimbus, which I would also quite like.

The more I think about it all the less certain I am about any colour... isn't it great to have these first world problems!
I know the feeling. When the Emira was first released I went around the colour wheel many, many times!

Desert Dunes

Reaction score
Hi All - love this forum and have been following over the months the choices and discussions you have going through. I am yet to place my order pending availability. For those still pondering colour choice and discussing the variance in colour between photos (especially for Magna and Seneca), to add to your confusion I saw this from Lotus - published 2 weeks ago. Being their own production - you'd like to think they are happy with the rendering Lotus Emira Production in UK

Last edited:

freefall_junkie

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Hi All - love this forum and have been following over the months the choices and discussions you have going through. I am yet to place my order pending availability. For those still pondering colour choice and discussing the variance in colour between photos (especially for Magna and Seneca), to add to your confusion I saw this from Lotus - published 2 weeks ago. Being their own production - you'd like to think they are happy with the rendering Lotus Emira Production in UK
Not sure about some of the colours in that vid. The two Seneca cars in the factory are so vivid they look positively radioactive. And Matt Windle's oversized jacket reminds me of David Byrne :)

UDwjgpO.jpg

Billyidoliser

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Magma is darker, richer, more cherry.

That Model X looks more like the vivid red car I saw on the factory floor.
1653549665868.png

Having seen this very car at Hethel, I would say its a pretty accurate representation of the colour, amazing!

Last edited:

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
That's condensation on the outside; the car's been sitting there over night. I can see why they've included heated side mirrors for those cars that have to park outside at night.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Can't help but think the Emira would have been cooler with a single windshield wiper.

eriegz

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
That's condensation on the outside; the car's been sitting there over night. I can see why they've included heated side mirrors for those cars that have to park outside at night.
Pasting my comments from the other thread, I don't think so, for a couple reasons:
  • If it were external condensation from say, early morning dew / fog, then you'd see it over the entire car body (I feel like cars in this state tend to appear "matte"). Instead, the outside of the car's body appears dry and glossy.
  • If it were external condensation from driving, then you'd see streaks as the moisture beads got pushed backwards by the wind. Instead, it's evenly-covered, the way you would expect if it were on the inside.
All my opinions, anyways. I just feel like I've seen enough foggy headlights to recognize the patterns when I see them. :p