Lotus isn't the only manufacturer facing stiff competition from Porsche: 2022 Acura NSX Type S vs. 2022 Porsche 911 GTS

eriegz

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order

Motortrend reviewers essentially rate the 911 GTS as being a better car in every possible way than the NSX Type S (acceleration, lateral grip, steering, braking, etc.).

Which is a shame, because just look at them next to each other! The one on the left without a doubt looks like the all-out, extreme racing machine of the two, while the one on the right looks like... well... boring... tame... common...

1658508136681.png

It must be frustrating for Acura engineers (and NSX fans) for their "best NSX ever" to ultimately get beaten by a "grocery-getter" that costs $43,000 USD less. Heck, it's frustrating for me too, as my brain demands that cars that "look cooler" also be faster, better-handling, etc.

I think it's an interesting discussion to have about looks vs. performance. Which is more important to you as a buyer? For me, I must admit that my brain has never grown out of the "Looks cool, therefore must be fast" mindset from my childhood. So if you ask me where I'm putting my money, the scales will always tip slightly more towards whatever looks cooler, not on what's necessarily a better driver's car, etc.

Citizen

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
For me the most Important thing is what feelings I will get with the car , how many times I will turn de head when I park it …

Yes of course performance is great but is not the most important for me for sure

I had a civic ‘92 during 20 years and each time I parked I turned head to see it

And it was a very normal car in terms of speed and acceleration

Citizen

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
If I see a Porsche 911 coming on the road … it will be difficult to catch my attention , need to be a gt2rs or gt3 minimum

A “very common and normal” GTS or carrera 4s … is not special for me

Citizen

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I would say more , I always try to buy cars that aren’t the prefered choice of normal population , so I like to be the different and rare / unique on the roads

Let’s see what happens with the emira , here in dubai I think only 100 units coming at first …

kitkat

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
In a way I do admire Porsche for having such fantastic cars but more subdued looks.

OP
eriegz

eriegz

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
In a way I do admire Porsche for having such fantastic cars but more subdued looks.
For sure, but for me personally I just can't reconcile the two! It must be something deeply-embedded in my psyche.

Think of those moments from your childhood when you were just going about your day — maybe you were standing on a street corner with your mom, waiting to cross; or maybe you were on a trip to the grocery store — and then out of the blue, the most fantastic machine on four wheels that you've ever seen rumbles past you and your eyes pop out of your head and you start jumping up and down with excitement.

That's the kind of feeling that to this day is still awakened in me whenever I look at cars like the NSX Type S, and not cars like the 911 GTS. Like I was saying, I consider it an interesting dilemma. :)

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
I want a car that excites me and has sublime driver engagement. Not too worried about numbers bragging since my driver skill isn't likely able to realize the fractions of a second acceleration difference, lateral g difference, or the difference of few feet of braking distance makes. I do want something capable, fun, and reliable that I can enjoy.

Most importantly, I want a car that exists.. as in I paid for it and it actually gets delivered on time! ::cough cough::

CHEESE

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Hard to imagine someone looking at a Porsche and thinking... "I want that."

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Honda doesn't know how to build a good car anymore. After I sell my Odyssey this fall, I will likely never buy another Honda. Very sad.

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score

Motortrend reviewers essentially rate the 911 GTS as being a better car in every possible way than the NSX Type S (acceleration, lateral grip, steering, braking, etc.).

Which is a shame, because just look at them next to each other! The one on the left without a doubt looks like the all-out, extreme racing machine of the two, while the one on the right looks like... well... boring... tame... common...

View attachment 7597

It must be frustrating for Acura engineers (and NSX fans) for their "best NSX ever" to ultimately get beaten by a "grocery-getter" that costs $43,000 USD less. Heck, it's frustrating for me too, as my brain demands that cars that "look cooler" also be faster, better-handling, etc.

I think it's an interesting discussion to have about looks vs. performance. Which is more important to you as a buyer? For me, I must admit that my brain has never grown out of the "Looks cool, therefore must be fast" mindset from my childhood. So if you ask me where I'm putting my money, the scales will always tip slightly more towards whatever looks cooler, not on what's necessarily a better driver's car, etc.
Well, I of course cant argue with someone's opinion, as we all have a right to them and I would never try to belittle anyones. However, beauty is in the E o T B and now to give my own opinion, which is slightly different.
1. This angle is not the best angle for the 911, the front is more low key and changes less and less each time the redesign.
2. For me, the NSX has a very "busy" design as they say and I find it totally Japanese (not surprisingly) in its design ethic, way too many more lines and angles than are needed and than are attractive. Its trying to be a Huracan I feel, but does not pull it off IMO. Its a car for them and the american market, not for europe IMO. I dont find any current US car attractive looking either I am afraid, but thats ok, they design cars for their largest market, sensibly, which is the US and not the EU/UK, where they generally fail and dont bother making RHD's as they know they wont sell enough to make it worth it.

1658561660596.png

I cant get along with it at all. and the back for me, is far worse:

1658561856897.png

Then the 911 at the back for me is pure elegance and style, minimalism at its best.
The interior of the two cars is also night and day in terms of quality and design. The plastics used, just look at the seats and centre console.
Anyway, my point is, I understand fully what you say, but I, not even owning a modern 911, really appreciate the design of it and for my money and the entry price point I think it is the true competitor to the Emira as the Cayman, although a great car in the V6 guise, is dated looks wise, its a 7/8 year old design now, so its naturally not going to compete with a car designed 2 years ago.
I do however agree that the 911 is boring in how good it is, it does not make you feel alive to drive it, the cheaper models at least, but looks wise, its right up there for me. I guess we will have to see in 5 years how the Emira, which I love design wise too, has stood up to more modern design trends at that time..... the 911 has stood up very well, time and time again and their mid refreshes are something I doubt Lotus will be able to keep up with, outside or inside.
anyway, thats my take :)

Magma

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Always loved the new gen NSX. I think they look fantastic and have only seen one in the wild once or twice. Very rare. I did take look at one at a dealer a year or so ago. The interior was a bit underwhelming and pretty cramped. Still a nice car. A few years ago you could pick one up pretty cheap since they were never very popular. Now prices have gone up like everything else.

I was never a huge Porsche fan until fairly recently. Porsche's were never common in my area. No dealers within 2 hours keeps them in fairly low in numbers. I will never forget the day I saw a silver 997 or 991 with aero. At the time I had no idea how to differentiate between generations (you do eventually learn! Lol!). That car really struck me. I never cared for the shape of them. But with the aero, it was a different looking car! It put them on my radar!

In 2019, I test drove an amaranth red 991.1 Carrera S and I understood what everyone was always talking about. That one test drive put me on the path to find a Pcar. Now I even appreciate the non-aero cars. The different generations. The engineering that goes into them..the history. I'm still very new to Porsche, but I'm definitely hooked!

Jon_N

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I have a 992 GTS & also a Turbo S on order… obviously the Emira also (if it ever arrives!)

A 911 is a brilliant car in so many ways. I wouldn’t put it in same bracket as Emira, nor should I as it’s a different price bracket…
Emira is more Cayman & BMW M2 competitor?

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
I have a 992 GTS & also a Turbo S on order… obviously the Emira also (if it ever arrives!)

A 911 is a brilliant car in so many ways. I wouldn’t put it in same bracket as Emira, nor should I as it’s a different price bracket…
Emira is more Cayman & BMW M2 competitor?
well you are a lucky so and so... thanks for sharing......
The Emira in terms of price and power and certain other factors is indeed similar to the cars you mention, but I for one am now very tired of this competitor idea. The lotus for me does not compete with the BMW... any more than pedigree chum competes with m&s dog food. Both do the same job, both do it adequately, both have a similar price etc, but you simply chose which one you want and believe is better for your dog... ie its down to personal taste. The idea one is so much better than the other is an illusion....
The Porsche is a better car in many ways, as is the M2 in fact, rear seats for example, luggage space.... dealer network, etc. However, neither of them are not a "lotus"..... its that simple. And as you clearly buy cars for fun, ie I cant see any other reason to have a GTS and turbo 992 at the same time, then with ALL due respect, it really doesn't matter what the Emira competes with for you or for any of us. You will get the Emira as a toy to use a few times a year and to experience it....I cant see how you would get more use of it with the other cars you have. At the same time I doubt you would dark the door of BMW with the car collection you would seem to have.... Even with my meagre collection, I cant see me going by there either.

Jon_N

Emira Fan
Reaction score
well you are a lucky so and so... thanks for sharing......
The Emira in terms of price and power and certain other factors is indeed similar to the cars you mention, but I for one am now very tired of this competitor idea. The lotus for me does not compete with the BMW... any more than pedigree chum competes with m&s dog food. Both do the same job, both do it adequately, both have a similar price etc, but you simply chose which one you want and believe is better for your dog... ie its down to personal taste. The idea one is so much better than the other is an illusion....
The Porsche is a better car in many ways, as is the M2 in fact, rear seats for example, luggage space.... dealer network, etc. However, neither of them are not a "lotus"..... its that simple. And as you clearly buy cars for fun, ie I cant see any other reason to have a GTS and turbo 992 at the same time, then with ALL due respect, it really doesn't matter what the Emira competes with for you or for any of us. You will get the Emira as a toy to use a few times a year and to experience it....I cant see how you would get more use of it with the other cars you have. At the same time I doubt you would dark the door of BMW with the car collection you would seem to have.... Even with my meagre collection, I cant see me going by there either.
Thanks, agreed, I’m very lucky, but it’s taken 30+years of blood, sweat & tears to reach this point… I’ve always loved cars, so making the most of it!

Agreed, I’ll probably trade GTS when Turbo S arrives as that will be a 992.2 (but could be a hybrid, so let’s see!)

I have a BMW M340i as my daily & it’s a solid car, so I get your point on M2. As you say, it’s all about individual requirements….

I’m hoping I’ll enjoy the Emira for fun on the twisty’s…. If delays carry on a lot longer I’ll bow out gracefully & let someone else come up this list…. I’ve never flipped a car & I don’t agree with it, so unless I’ll use it, I’ll definitely pass…

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Thanks, agreed, I’m very lucky, but it’s taken 30+years of blood, sweat & tears to reach this point… I’ve always loved cars, so making the most of it!

Agreed, I’ll probably trade GTS when Turbo S arrives as that will be a 992.2 (but could be a hybrid, so let’s see!)

I have a BMW M340i as my daily & it’s a solid car, so I get your point on M2. As you say, it’s all about individual requirements….

I’m hoping I’ll enjoy the Emira for fun on the twisty’s…. If delays carry on a lot longer I’ll bow out gracefully & let someone else come up this list…. I’ve never flipped a car & I don’t agree with it, so unless I’ll use it, I’ll definitely pass…
fair enough....
WIth the LHDs arriving now, who knows where that leaves the RHD's, although they make both in parallel, so they will of course start rhd as soon as they get the bits.......
I think u will probably enjoy the emira more than the 911, even though the 911 is no doubt the better car, BUT for the twisties, I'd say an exige or something smaller and narrower could be more fun no?

Jon_N

Emira Fan
Reaction score
fair enough....
WIth the LHDs arriving now, who knows where that leaves the RHD's, although they make both in parallel, so they will of course start rhd as soon as they get the bits.......
I think u will probably enjoy the emira more than the 911, even though the 911 is no doubt the better car, BUT for the twisties, I'd say an exige or something smaller and narrower could be more fun no?
You might be right… Turbo S is more about “childhood dream” fulfilment tbh, sad as that sounds….
I’ll wait & see what the Emira is like to drive once test cars are available… as you say, there’s some other options as well. It’s not about speed either, it’s overall enjoyment which ticks the boxes on a Sunday morning…

695 to Emira

Emira Fan
Reaction score
fair enough....
I have got a saddo piece of paper with Emira and various generators of 911 listed with dimensions. The Emira is alarming wide.

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
I have got a saddo piece of paper with Emira and various generators of 911 listed with dimensions. The Emira is alarming wide.
yes around 2m.... its really not a twisties type of car IMHO h - humble
hence I will order a caterham to have next year when the Emira thrill has perhaps warn off

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
yes around 2m.... its really not a twisties type of car IMHO h - humble
hence I will order a caterham to have next year when the Emira thrill has perhaps warn off
For some reason this is how I picture @emiraspain when he looks at the Emira.... There is no competition for the Lotus, the choice of the Romantics. :ROFLMAO:

1662498630182.png