Lotus Emira Track Experience

Hedge

Emira Fan
Reaction score
The missing parts are ancillary items like sun visors, washer bottle caps and exhaust tailpipe finishers.

As far as I can find out, it’s not major mechanical items, as they are able to part-build cars and fit the missing items later.
Sorry Tom, I think that’s just BS now. Can’t source 40 washer bottle caps for the demo cars?
sorry, missed the used cars 80k comment, but thats a wide open book and a new forum completely.
On a personal note, on the way to my friends house for dinner, hampton in arden, I went past the aston martin dealer, close to the sainsburys / petrol station to get some garlic bread and lettuce..... too much info?
A year or more ago, you could get the latest Vantage, 2018 for less than 90k and today those 2018 cars should really be down to 80k with the odd one lower, BUT I dont think they are.
I dont want to open a can of worms and check, but I think aston did something, before covid to get their dealers in line and keep prices higher. I dont know, but I seriously considered buying one way before Covid for around 90...
Point being, on looks, engine sound and power, name and bragging rights, exclusivity and real wow appeal, the vantage at 80k would for me be a real tempter. However, a 2018 car would be out of warranty, would if things were back to normal, probably loose 5-10 odd thousand a year in depreciation, drink a bit more high costing jet fuel and.... the interior although high quality leather, feels bulky and dated (old school mercedes with no apple car play).
At the same time though, we cant sit here and compare a 2 3 4 year old 150k car with a new 60-80k car. I mean we can, but its not fair to Lotus and the fact that the Lotus stands up against that car and the 992, which for me is very good looking ... means its a great design and has enough power and a good sound. Its a never ending discussion and one for a beer or a juice in my case, and one that shows you, you need a smaller house and a larger garage :).
The Aston could have an extended warranty I suspect and would come with a dealer car. Secondly, it’s an Aston. Finally, unfortunately you can’t buy an Emira at the moment (how I wish that weren’t true)

kitkat

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I take everything you say as gospel, as you seem to know more than most, but one thing I must say, the chocolate on the kitkat in the US and in the EU for that matter, is no where near as nice as it is in the UK, just throwing it out there as that is something I do know about :). The Kitkat was originally a rowntrees macintosh product, not nestle of course...
Back to you, what cars do you currently drive and which if any are you changing for the Emira, and do you expect the Emira to lap quicker, do you care if it doesnt?

Will be be able to have a "i told you so thread" in a few weeks/months..... I told you the damn cars wouldnt come until Xmas, I told you the seats would be ........

On that note, its bed time.

First, all kitkats deserve love, regardless of country of origin.

I currently track an M4, I expect the Emira to be slightly slower on tracks that have a lot of elevation change or long straights — the Emira may weigh less but it’s got way less power and torque. It should be roughly the same lap times on tracks that depend more on maintaining momentum.

OP
emiraspain

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Sorry Tom, I think that’s just BS now. Can’t source 40 washer bottle caps for the demo cars?

The Aston could have an extended warranty I suspect and would come with a dealer car. Secondly, it’s an Aston. Finally, unfortunately you can’t buy an Emira at the moment (how I wish that weren’t true)
I went ahead and checked and yes, the 2018 cars start at over 90k, this is covid pricing this is AM controlling things from before covid. Yes warranty extension, yes AM dealers. For me the car doesnt work as it costs much more in Spain and if I got a UK car, I would have to come back every 12 months for an MOT...... but for my money it is a looker and you would assume the quality of the parts is a step above, just that engine must be worth about 30 to 40k alone.
Alas, there are always many choices......... At least both brands have JB bragging rights, Esprit and DB5

OP
emiraspain

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score

I currently track an M4, I expect the Emira to be slightly slower on tracks that have a lot of elevation change or long straights — the Emira may weigh less but it’s got way less power and torque. It should be roughly the same lap times on tracks that depend more on maintaining momentum.
fair enough..... just didnt want you to be disappointed, but I really dont think you will be..... its not the dedicated track weapon some will crave, but I think 99% will enjoy it none the less.

Hedge

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I went ahead and checked and yes, the 2018 cars start at over 90k, this is covid pricing this is AM controlling things from before covid. Yes warranty extension, yes AM dealers. For me the car doesnt work as it costs much more in Spain and if I got a UK car, I would have to come back every 12 months for an MOT...... but for my money it is a looker and you would assume the quality of the parts is a step above, just that engine must be worth about 30 to 40k alone.
Alas, there are always many choices......... At least both brands have JB bragging rights, Esprit and DB5
No AM mechanic near you in Spain?

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Scroll through pictures of the LDA cars. You can see these parts and several others are missing or are incorrect non-production versions. And yes that includes the washer bottle caps, which are blue and should be black.

Dabjbr

Emira Fan
Reaction score

KitKat, hit the track with me. I’m going to both of these events…

8/13 Thunderhill West & 10/16 Sonoma. Or let me know when and where you go next.

Sorry for the derailment!

Attachments

• B7376A13-B890-41A8-8A83-0AEB7E078463.jpeg
    B7376A13-B890-41A8-8A83-0AEB7E078463.jpeg
    178 KB · Views: 27
  • 6AE040E8-E64E-4EF0-A859-3C0180050956.png
    6AE040E8-E64E-4EF0-A859-3C0180050956.png
    368.7 KB · Views: 27
OP
emiraspain

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Scroll through pictures of the LDA cars. You can see these parts and several others are missing or are incorrect non-production versions. And yes that includes the washer bottle caps, which are blue and should be black.
I can testify they were indeed blue as the toyota lawyer pointed out, geeley parts and not now toyota, which may also have been easier to stick with, but no doubt an extra few pence each.

Chris2409

Reaction score
Can you comment on seat height?
6’1” 225
I’m 6’2” and fitted in the car (with helmet) no problem - the seat could go further back still.

In terms of the height of the seat itself in the car, it’s ok but it’s not as low as say the bucket seats on a 718. Gavin Kershaw did mention this on a podcast saying that with the electric motors they were a few cm higher than he ideally wanted.

OP
emiraspain

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Can you comment on seat height?
6’1” 225
answered by chris.... Im not as tall as you, so his answer is more suitable.
I found the seat height to be ok.... I am perhaps lower down in the 911 classic and even in the Elise, but if felt okay to me. I will reserve judgement on the seats, im athletic, but slim you could say and I did not feel I was held in anywhere near firmly enough..... lets see the showroom cars first though.

freefall_junkie

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Very puzzling to read this about the ride heights. Several of us have been told by various different people at Lotus the ride height is identical for both setups. Gav Kershaw has said so on video (I think it's in the Smoking Tire podcast) and he and others from the ride & handling team confirmed it to me at Goodwood.

The Sports and Touring press cars at Goodwood were all the same height and they're the final iteration of pre-production before production.

We'll see it confirmed on production cars later this month, as most UK dealers will be getting one of each setup.
It wouldn't be the first time we've had apparently contradictory information about the chassis. You'll remember a while back I asked Lotus whether the Sport chassis had a different geo settings for the Cup2 and Goodyear tyres. CS passed the request onto the 'technical team at HQ' and the answer that came back was firmly that no, the toe, camber etc were the same for both tyres with the Sport suspension . We've since found out (I think) that this was incorrect.

When I was at the factory back in May it did seem that the Emiras I saw had widely varying ride heights. At the time I just assumed they had different iterations of pre-prod suspension, or perhaps some had transport blocks in the front springs. As you say, we'll find out the answer for sure pretty soon from the dealer demos.

Mistral

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
answered by chris.... Im not as tall as you, so his answer is more suitable.
I found the seat height to be ok.... I am perhaps lower down in the 911 classic and even in the Elise, but if felt okay to me. I will reserve judgement on the seats, im athletic, but slim you could say and I did not feel I was held in anywhere near firmly enough..... lets see the showroom cars first though.
Lots of detail from your day. I believe that you have an Evora, on Cup2's, which you spun in the rain. Although I'm going Touring with Goodyears, how did the Emiras compare with the Evora, both interior finish and general driving?

Toomanyloti

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I’m 6’2” and fitted in the car (with helmet) no problem - the seat could go further back still.

In terms of the height of the seat itself in the car, it’s ok but it’s not as low as say the bucket seats on a 718. Gavin Kershaw did mention this on a podcast saying that with the electric motors they were a few cm higher than he ideally wanted.
Screw the bloody motors (used 4 times in the cars life) and give me the best driving position FFS (never mind the weight considerations...aaaahhhhhh)

As soon as I got my Esprit I binned the Std V8 seat (made for hippos arses) and replaced with custom non recliner buckets modelled from Sport 300 seats much like the original GT3 Esprits should have come with. I think the V8 seats were a factory option. Transformed how the car feels. It was bollox with those old seats

First Lotus

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
The exact opposite has been widely reported, numerous times. I'd be very shocked if this were true (not doubting your information, just the change)
So I haven't read all the comments below, but one of the instructors also told me +others that rhe suspension stiffened up dependent on the driving mode selected. This we all know not to be true so I wouldn't believe everything your told (despite it coming from someone representing Lotus😭).
When he walked away, we looked at each other and said... That's not true!
Anyway these instructors are self employed race driving instructors with good racing backgrounds. But they have not been sitting at home studying the details of the car. All of us on here will I'm sure know more about it than they do!
It's a shame as you feel you've no idea who to believe at the moment.

To me though (present at LDA on 3rd August), all ride heights looked identical. Personally I thought you could see a greater amount of body roll from the tour suspension in the chicane. But I didn't drive tour so can't comment on handling.

kitkat

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
KitKat, hit the track with me. I’m going to both of these events…

8/13 Thunderhill West & 10/16 Sonoma. Or let me know when and where you go next.

Sorry for the derailment!
That may have to wait till the Emira gets delivered, just this weekend I started removing track part to go back to OEM.

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
So I haven't read all the comments below, but one of the instructors also told me +others that rhe suspension stiffened up dependent on the driving mode selected. This we all know not to be true so I wouldn't believe everything your told (despite it coming from someone representing Lotus😭).
Anyway these instructors are self employed race driving instructors with good racing backgrounds. But they have not been sitting at home studying the details of the car. All of us on here will I'm sure know more about it than they do!

To me though (present at LDA on 3rd August), all ride heights looked identical. Personally I thought you could see a greater amount of body roll from the tour suspension in the chicane. But I didn't drive tour so can't comment on handling.
This is shocking.... I would NOT be happy if I went to Hethel to track drive some Emira's and receive improper information. Self-employed or not, they are representing Lotus on it's home turf. They need to know that Emira inside and out.

There seems to be a pattern developing on the "new" Lotus. There is a lack of concern from this company in many ways and I am seriously concerned on how this seemingly irresponsibility will translate into build quality. We are re-opening subjects on ride hide differences and unknown seating standards. DV colour seems to be falling from favour quickly, even though lotus never published a picture of a car? Some pretty crazy things. Delivery dates unknown.

I can wrap my head around delays and raw material etc. Everyone is dealing with such. However, Lotus are acting like a 3rd tier automotive company. I am now questioning 3rd tier build quality in these cars.

kitkat

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order

You’d be able to feel an adaptive damper system, who are these guys?

Next up, driving instructors will tell us the Emira turns back into a Camry when in comfort mode or after midnight.

Last edited:
OP
emiraspain

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Lots of detail from your day. I believe that you have an Evora, on Cup2's, which you spun in the rain. Although I'm going Touring with Goodyears, how did the Emiras compare with the Evora, both interior finish and general driving?
no sorry, Im not an Evora driver....
im sure someone else can oblige .... i mean the general interior is better, although the evora wasnt bad from what I saw, just a bit dated of course, but decent stitching I felt and decent seats, better even...
Both are raw cars that want to be driven...and will egg you on to driving them.. As mentioned, I doubt there will be many too regretful of their purchase, if they ever actually get in their cars....

Mistral

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
no sorry, Im not an Evora driver....
im sure someone else can oblige .... i mean the general interior is better, although the evora wasnt bad from what I saw, just a bit dated of course, but decent stitching I felt and decent seats, better even...
Both are raw cars that want to be driven...and will egg you on to driving them.. As mentioned, I doubt there will be many too regretful of their purchase, if they ever actually get in their cars....
My error. I thought it was you. But thanks for your thoughts anyway. Yes, I'm sure that we'll all enjoy the cars.