Lightweight battery

Time2Fly

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
What batteries do you recommend from antigravity or Jack webb?

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I did. Their recent price increase turned me off, but the holiday sales worked and drew me back in. My goal is to get the Emira as close to 3000lbs as I can.
I've been running a lot of what-if's on a spreadsheet for all kinds of possibilities, and I don't see any realistic way to get the Emira (V6/manual) down to 3,000 lbs unless you want to go hardcore which is really going to be expensive. You can get it down to just under 3,100 lbs, but even at that it's still going to be expensive. Depending on how dedicated you are to your weight reduction goal, and how much money you want to spend, here's a small snapshot of just a few items that get you down just under 3,100 lbs.

Screenshot 2023-12-26 at 12.29.13 PM.png

The above list assumes you're doing all your own wrenching.

I don't know what the final price is going to be on the Tillet seats once they have the brackets priced, so it could be more than the above which is approximate. You can save about $6k by going with the Aerie wheels instead of the Litespeed, but the Aerie wheels are 14 lbs heavier. That's still a $10k+ mod list.

You can of course also start throwing money at carbon fiber body parts, but that gets pricey real fast for typically small gains per piece. I suppose if you want to throw $20k-$30k at mods you could get down to 3,000 lbs, but that's a lot of money. Power to weight ratio stock is 3,232/400=8.08. If you get the weight down as above to 3,078, that's a ratio of 3,078/400=7.70.

Supposedly the Aerie exhaust adds about 20 hp according to them (we'll have to wait and see what the actual dyno results are) so that would change things. If you do that first (which of course voids your warranty) your power to weight ratio just with that mod alone, is 3,212/420=7.64. Add everything else above and it's 3,078/420=7.32. An Alfa Romeo Giulia QV with a twin-turbo V6 putting out 505 hp, has a power to weight ratio of 7.54 just as a comparison, so with all the above mods you'll out-perform a QV. A new 2024 QV starts at $82k (0-60 is 3.8 secs), so if you buy an Emira FE at $105k, and add another approx. $20k (including the above mods, shipping, tax, labor), for only $125k you can beat an $82k QV. Such a deal lol. Even if you go with the Aerie wheels and got the original FE 1.0 pricing, you're still going to be over $100k with mods. It'll look gorgeous and surprise a lot of people though.

You can play around with all kinds of combinations on a spreadsheet, but the one thing that's clear is it's going to cost to make an appreciable reduction in weight that you would feel on the street. Depends on what you want to spend and how far you want to go. Now if you're going for a track build, that's a different story.

FlyNavy01

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I've been running a lot of what-if's on a spreadsheet for all kinds of possibilities, and I don't see any realistic way to get the Emira (V6/manual) down to 3,000 lbs unless you want to go hardcore which is really going to be expensive. You can get it down to just under 3,100 lbs, but even at that it's still going to be expensive. Depending on how dedicated you are to your weight reduction goal, and how much money you want to spend, here's a small snapshot of just a few items that get you down just under 3,100 lbs.

View attachment 34886

I don't know what the final price is going to be on the Tillet seats once they have the brackets priced, so it could be more than the above which is approximate. You can save about $6k by going with the Aerie wheels instead of the Litespeed, but the Aerie wheels are 14 lbs heavier. That's still a $10k+ mod list.

You can of course also start throwing money at carbon fiber body parts, but that gets pricey real fast for typically small gains per piece. I suppose if you want to throw $20k-$30k at mods you could get down to 3,000 lbs, but that's a lot of money. Power to weight ratio stock is 3,232/400=8.08. If you get the weight down as above to 3,078, that's a ratio of 3,078/400=7.70.

Supposedly the Aerie exhaust adds about 20 hp according to them (we'll have to wait and see what the actual dyno results are) so that would change things. If you do that first (which of course voids your warranty) your power to weight ratio just with that mod alone, is 3,212/420=7.64. Add everything else above and it's 3,078/420=7.32. An Alfa Romeo Giulia QV with a twin-turbo V6 putting out 505 hp, has a power to weight ratio of 7.54 just as a comparison, so with all the above mods you'll out-perform a QV. A new 2024 QV starts at $82k (0-60 is 3.8 secs), so if you buy an Emira FE at $105k, and add another approx. $20k (including the above mods, shipping, tax, labor), for only $125k you can beat an $82k QV. Such a deal lol. Even if you go with the Aerie wheels and got the original FE 1.0 pricing, you're still going to be over $100k with mods. It'll look gorgeous and surprise a lot of people though.

You can play around with all kinds of combinations on a spreadsheet, but the one thing that's clear is it's going to cost to make an appreciable reduction in weight that you would feel on the street. Depends on what you want to spend and how far you want to go. Now if you're going for a track build, that's a different story.
I had the Emira curb weight at ~3,170lbs as opposed to your 3232lbs, so I guess we'll have wait to get our cars for a true measurement, otherwise I agree. It will likely be around $10k-$12k from my napkin math, but many of the weight saving mods will bring gains in other areas that I wanted to do anyways. I don't think I'll go with Tillet seats as I don't do any modifications to my street cars that make tradeoffs in other areas (safety and comfort in this case). My planned list will add 20-40hp and remove 150-180lbs, which will be noticeable together, particularly since a third of that weight removal will be from rotating mass.

Comparing the cost vs. performance of any ICE sports car is a fools errand these days. My modified daily driver Model 3 Performance will handily beat both the Alfa and Emira in almost all metrics that can be measured with numbers, and can currently be purchased new for ~$45k after tax credits. Even when you include the $15k in aftermarket suspension, brakes, wheels, I have on mine, it's still significantly less and costs almost nothing in fuel or maintenance.

I want the Emira for the experience it provides in the areas that can't be measured on a data sheet (analog feel, sound, character, looks, etc.). EV's won the performance game years ago, so many enthusiasts have shifted to cars that evoke emotion versus outright speed. This is a big part of why old Porsche's and other well-regarded enthusiast cars of the past exploded in value post-covid. People are realizing the internal combustion era is beginning to come to a sad but necessary end over the next 5-8 years or so.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I had the Emira curb weight at ~3,170lbs as opposed to your 3232lbs, so I guess we'll have wait to get our cars for a true measurement, otherwise I agree. It will likely be around $10k-$12k from my napkin math, but many of the weight saving mods will bring gains in other areas that I wanted to do anyways. I don't think I'll go with Tillet seats as I don't do any modifications to my street cars that make tradeoffs in other areas (safety and comfort in this case). My planned list will add 20-40hp and remove 150-180lbs, which will be noticeable together, particularly since a third of that weight removal will be from rotating mass.

Comparing the cost vs. performance of any ICE sports car is a fools errand these days. My modified daily driver Model 3 Performance will handily beat both the Alfa and Emira in almost all metrics that can be measured with numbers, and can currently be purchased new for ~$45k after tax credits. Even when you include the $15k in aftermarket suspension, brakes, wheels, I have on mine, it's still significantly less and costs almost nothing in fuel or maintenance.

I want the Emira for the experience it provides in the areas that can't be measured on a data sheet (analog feel, sound, character, looks, etc.). EV's won the performance game years ago, so many enthusiasts have shifted to cars that evoke emotion versus outright speed. This is a big part of why old Porsche's and other well-regarded enthusiast cars of the past exploded in value post-covid. People are realizing the internal combustion era is beginning to come to a sad but necessary end over the next 5-8 years or so.
I got the weight from a post by Komo Tec where they weighed a car and it was 1466 kg. That converts to 3,232 lbs.
-Emira FE V6 weight 2023-11-17 at 7.21.16 AM.png

Yeah there's simple weight reduction, and the more beneficial reduction of unsprung rotating weight. I'm not going to change out the seats either. I happen to like the way they look, and I want to keep the airbags feature. I'm planning on just living with the car for the first 1,000 miles and get a feel for it, then decide what mods to do if any, although I'm pretty sure I'll go for the Aerie wheels. They look really good and at a very good price for what they offer.

I don't know about the exhaust; I want to hear sound clips of one installed first. I don't want the car to be louder; I prefer quality of sound over quantity. I'm initially thinking of things that will remove somewhere between 80-100 lbs, and adding maybe 10-15 hp. I'm looking into improving efficiency and reducing drive-train loss more than anything else.

I agree; straight-line performance is the one big performance trick EV's have, and it's a good one. Can't beat it. I'm not really into that though, I'm more interested in overall performance everywhere. Even though the Emira is going to cost more than a QV, or C8, or any muscle car, it has some things that nothing else has at it's price point, and like you, those are things that I want too.

Time2Fly

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Would you use one of these for a daily driver?

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Would you use one of these for a daily driver?
Don't know yet. I'll have to wait and see. I have an Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Lusso AWD as my daily driver, and it's been a wonderful car. Handles anything and everything, even snow and ice during the winter. I'm not going to drive the Emira in snow and ice, but maybe I'll drive it spring/summer/fall. I'm retired now so I don't have a work commute anymore. I may wind up spending more time in the Emira than I think lol.

Last edited:

FlyNavy01

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I got the weight from a post by Komo Tec where they weighed a car and it was 1466 kg. That converts to 3,232 lbs.
View attachment 34897
Yeah there's simple weight reduction, and the more beneficial reduction of unsprung rotating weight. I'm not going to change out the seats either. I happen to like the way they look, and I want to keep the airbags feature. I'm planning on just living with the car for the first 1,000 miles and get a feel for it, then decide what mods to do if any, although I'm pretty sure I'll go for the Aerie wheels. They look really good and at a very good price for what they offer.

I don't know about the exhaust; I want to hear sound clips of one installed first. I don't want the car to be louder; I prefer quality of sound over quantity. I'm initially thinking of things that will remove somewhere between 80-100 lbs, and adding maybe 10-15 hp. I'm looking into improving efficiency and reducing drive-train loss more than anything else.

I agree; straight-line performance is the one big performance trick EV's have, and it's a good one. Can't beat it. I'm not really into that though, I'm more interested in overall performance everywhere. Even though the Emira is going to cost more than a QV, or C8, or any muscle car, it has some things that nothing else has at it's price point, and like you, those are things that I want too.
I'm glad there's another numbers person like me on this forum (and fellow Oregonian if I remember correctly?). I tend to be a little OCD with my cars and get a lot of enjoyment out of making them "OEM Plus". That is to say, perform better than stock without any sacrifices in reliability, comfort, or anything else. Even if I won't notice the weight savings day-to-day, the satisfaction of knowing I have a lighter, subtlety more aggressive sports car makes it that much more special every time I drive it. Hopefully not much longer!

Time2Fly

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Don't now yet. I'll have to wait and see. I have an Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Lusso AWD as my daily driver, and it's been a wonderful car. Handles anything and everything, even snow and ice during the winter. I'm not going to drive the Emira in snow and ice, but maybe I'll drive it spring/summer/fall. I'm retired now so I don't have a work commute anymore. I may wind up spending more time in the Emira than I think lol.
I'm going to use it as a three season car. I meant more the lightweight battery. Is that something that I can use to replace my battery for regular use or does it have a more limited application?

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I'm going to use it as a three season car. I meant more the lightweight battery. Is that something that I can use to replace my battery for regular use or does it have a more limited application?
Yes. If you're going to drive it every day, no problem. If you drive it only on the weekends, you might want to put a battery maintenance trickle charger on it while it's parked. Hopefully you can garage it?

Time2Fly

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Yes. If you're going to drive it every day, no problem. If you drive it only on the weekends, you might want to put a battery maintenance trickle charger on it while it's parked. Hopefully you can garage it?
It'll absolutely be garaged. Which antigravity battery did you use?

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
It'll absolutely be garaged. Which antigravity battery did you use?
I haven't purchased it yet but it's the 40ah battery.

I'm hoping they'll do a New Year's sale or something. They just recently raised their prices, and with shipping it's going to be a $1k+ battery.

Speedy Emira

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

View attachment 34886

Great spreadsheet. Did you get the exact weight back on the Lightweight wheel or that the ‘from’ weight because I’m still waiting for a reply from them?
Also I read wheels and all spinning items should be calibrated at 3.8 x the weight reduction to give the equivalent overall weight of the car. Not sure if that is accurate but I have see the calculation higher.

Steve24

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I haven't purchased it yet but it's the 40ah battery.

I'm hoping they'll do a New Year's sale or something. They just recently raised their prices, and with shipping it's going to be a $1k+ battery.

I‘m keen to purchase one of these batteries, but when I enter the address for shipping it quotes over $700USD for shipping to Australia. Lol.

Does anyone know if there’s an Aussie distributor for these?

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Great spreadsheet. Did you get the exact weight back on the Lightweight wheel or that the ‘from’ weight because I’m still waiting for a reply from them?
Also I read wheels and all spinning items should be calibrated at 3.8 x the weight reduction to give the equivalent overall weight of the car. Not sure if that is accurate but I have see the calculation higher.
No. I don't think they'll have an exact weight unless they make the actual wheels. Best we get is an estimate at this point.

Yes reducing unsprung rotating weight (URW) has a greater benefit than just removing static weight, but I've seen claims of anywhere from 4 to 10 times the benefit of removing static weight. I haven't found any actual verified data sheets that show what the real benefit ratio is, but I know from experience that you can feel the difference if you remove at least 5 lbs per wheel corner. That can include wheels, lug nuts/bolts, brake rotors and bearings.

You will get the most benefit, and notice it the most the farther from the rotating center you can remove the weight. This is why wheels and tires have the most impact. Lugs, bearings and brake rotors are close to the rotating center, especially lugs and bearings, so they don't have as much of an impact, although it all adds up. There's an additional benefit of removing the URW at the wheel corner, in that it lightens the load the springs and shocks (dampers) have to manage, so the wheels respond to surface elevation changes quicker.

Adding lightness has real benefits.

Wiz33

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Does anyone knows the Battery size number for US. I'm not really looking to reduce weight but I'm actually hoping to increase capacity in the same size model as I heard the factory battery only last 2 weeks.

Time2Fly

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Does anyone knows the Battery size number for US. I'm not really looking to reduce weight but I'm actually hoping to increase capacity in the same size model as I heard the factory battery only last 2 weeks.

@GRP does for sure. I expanded the capacity of mine and lightened it up.

Time2Fly

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I got this one. 50% increase in capacity.