AndyVX

AndyVX

Reaction score
IMG_0761.jpeg

SONOFEMERY

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Can't tell from the blury pic, but does the lightweight battery allow for the battery bump in the truck to be flush with the rest of the compartment?

OP
AndyVX

AndyVX

Reaction score
Can't tell from the blury pic, but does the lightweight battery allow for the battery bump in the truck to be flush with the rest of the compartment?
The “bump” goes fully back in place
IMG_0759.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0756.jpeg
    IMG_0756.jpeg
    261.8 KB · Views: 56

Whitey

Reaction score
Certainly adds lightness to your wallet at those prices. Not sure even the most skilful of test drivers would notice a 12kg difference, but if you’ve got the spare cash, then why not I spose 😂😂

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Certainly adds lightness to your wallet at those prices. Not sure even the most skilful of test drivers would notice a 12kg difference, but if you’ve got the spare cash, then why not I spose 😂😂
I mean for a single component change that's a pretty significant amount of weight. Combined with other lightening mods it could add up to some real weight reduction.

Think battery + seats + wheels + rear hatch + exhaust and it could be 75 to 100 kg off the car. That's significant.

Steve24

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I’ve been kind of half looking at the lightweight battery that Komotec advertise. Claimed 17-22kg weight saving, but very expensive.

Also not sure how it would go in normal road car use.

Does anyone have any experience with these?

freefall_junkie

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Think battery + seats + wheels + rear hatch + exhaust and it could be 75 to 100 kg off the car. That's significant.
Certainly is. You could add a lighter diffuser to that list too as the standard one is really heavy. The Emira took quite a bit of flak on launch from Lotus diehards for having put on a chunk of lard compared to the Evora, but it is pretty clear to see how you could get the weight back down to Evora 410 levels. I imagine Lotus will do this themselves if they ever get round to building an S/GT version, although sadly that is almost certain to be a £100k+ car

meccanisti

Reaction score
Those prices are ridiculous. For context, I bought an 84aH LiFePO4 leisure battery (similar to their 110 model) for my camper for under £400 earlier in the year. They’re even less now.

Indeed much lighter and smaller than the equivalent AGM or lead acid battery.

OP
AndyVX

AndyVX

Reaction score
I’ve been kind of half looking at the lightweight battery that Komotec advertise. Claimed 17-22kg weight saving, but very expensive.

I weighed the original battery at 21.5kg

OP
AndyVX

AndyVX

Reaction score
I got it in a recent Black Friday sale so a good bit cheaper than currently advertised

jamesbxxx

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Having heard stories of 911 restorations going up in smoke from “lightweight batteries” I’d avoid such a swap for such marginal gains.

Steve24

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I weighed the original battery at 21.5kg
Since they quote the weight of their battery at 2.8kg, that’s an 18kg+ saving, so within what they claim.
Quite significant (whilst also being ridiculously expensive).

Add some lightweight wheels (and titanium wheel studs - why hasn’t anyone developed these yet?) and you’ve got 30kg+ before you even look at the exhaust system.
50kg seems quite achievable without much pain except in your wallet.
I’m personally not interested in changing out the seats, although I accept significant weight savings are there to be had.

Throw in a 60hp power increase (although I wouldn’t do this until out of warranty) and you’ve got a seriously quick car.

forest

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Since they quote the weight of their battery at 2.8kg, that’s an 18kg+ saving, so within what they claim.

Add some lightweight wheels (and titanium wheel studs - why hasn’t anyone developed these yet?) and you’ve got 30kg+ before you even look at the exhaust system.
I’m personally not interested in changing out the seats, although I accept significant weight savings are there to be had.

Throw in a 60hp power increase (although I wouldn’t do this until out of warranty) and you’ve got a seriously quick car.
Each electric seat weighs 25 kg.
A dry carbon full bucket weighs less than 5 kg per leg, so replacing two legs will reduce the weight by 40 kg.

Steve24

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Each electric seat weighs 25 kg.
A dry carbon full bucket weighs less than 5 kg per leg, so replacing two legs will reduce the weight by 40 kg.

Which is a huge saving. And well worth the money.
Factor that in and as previously stated 90-100kg becomes possible.

Personally, I don’t want to change the seats but I can fully understand why you would.

OP
AndyVX

AndyVX

Reaction score

I’ve had a friend have titanium wheel studs break on his M3. Needed new hubs 😞 but at least he caught it before the wheel came off

FlyNavy01

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order

I currently have a similarly sized 12V LiFePO4 battery (20Ah, 2.3kg) in my daily driven model 3 performance, but that's a much different application as it doesn't need to crank an engine. It cost $360 and has worked flawlessly for 4 years. I wouldn't put something that small in an ICE road car. The extra 2-3kg savings wouldn't be worth risking the lower capacity given all the drain that modern electronics have on today's cars. The one you linked is marked up 3-4x what it should cost and claims 18.2Ah is the equivalent of a 55-75Ah lead acid, which is a stretch. At most, an 18Ah lithium battery would be equivalent to 36-40Ah, or about half the capacity of the 70Ah OEM Emira battery. Too much risk for me personally.

For reference, I recently ordered a lithium replacement for my future Emira during the recent US holiday sales and it's 40Ah (~80Ah equivalent), 15.4lbs (7kg), same dimensions as OEM, and $800. At that cost, the 14kg weight savings is worth it for me. I almost ordered the smaller 24Ah version for an additional 2.5kg and $200 savings, but decided to compromise for the extra peace of mind. Hope this helps!

Hapkin

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I currently have a similarly sized 12V LiFePO4 battery (20Ah, 2.3kg) in my daily driven model 3 performance, but that's a much different application as it doesn't need to crank an engine. It cost $360 and has worked flawlessly for 4 years. I wouldn't put something that small in an ICE road car. The extra 2-3kg savings wouldn't be worth risking the lower capacity given all the drain that modern electronics have on today's cars. The one you linked is marked up 3-4x what it should cost and claims 18.2Ah is the equivalent of a 55-75Ah lead acid, which is a stretch. At most, an 18Ah lithium battery would be equivalent to 36-40Ah, or about half the capacity of the 70Ah OEM Emira battery. Too much risk for me personally.

For reference, I recently ordered a lithium replacement for my future Emira during the recent US holiday sales and it's 40Ah (~80Ah equivalent), 15.4lbs (7kg), same dimensions as OEM, and $800. At that cost, the 14kg weight savings is worth it for me. I almost ordered the smaller 24Ah version for an additional 2.5kg and $200 savings, but decided to compromise for the extra peace of mind. Hope this helps!
Which one did you go with? Antigravity?