Let's talk about the new bonnet/hood seal

Mike-engel

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Very cool, I lived in Odenton for a while in MD, currently now near Charlottesville Virginia. Love the roads in this area.
Hi @DerTheDer. I have been off the forum for a while, with too much going on at work to stay up to date on Emira these days. I too live in Charlottesville. I put my deposit in with Flow Lotus in NC in mid July 2021, but still did not get a FE slot. Actually a little perturbed about it, as others who put their deposits with other dealers long after me did get one of these coveted spots. I’m keeping my deposit, but truly not sure what I’m going to do. Hoping my enthusiasm picks up when I get contacted by my dealer, but I’m not holding my breath. Have not had any communication from them since my deposit unless I initiated it. A lot will depend on how much different my purchase price will be from what was represented by Lotus when I placed my deposit. They’ve already changed their tune on so many things it’s hard to know what will happen. I hope the car is worth it.

James DG

Reaction score
For real! Come on @James DG , don't hold out on us! 😂
E9B3D4F3-FF6D-4E14-8CBE-DE73AF1C6F7B.jpeg
A3E3BAB2-7A0D-4B9E-9027-87D9016D0A2A.jpeg
2B226F03-966B-4968-87D9-C905CF39EAF7.jpeg

Don’t say I never give you anything!

Bilbao-Emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
It was an auto in actual fact.

Mine's similar except with the black wheels, manual, sport/Goodyear.
Black wheels will look amazing too. One year ago I chose the black wheels and the changed for DC. now cannot revert anymore, but since I have black wheels on the Evora, gone for a little change of look! 🥂

OP
Porter

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Based on the pics shown here of recent builds, it appears that they changed the type of seal entirely after Goodwood.

This new production (or near production) spec looks pretty good to me... the seal is present but minimized visually, and the side junction where the bumper meets the fender panel is straight and tight.

1662477141226.png

This looks fine! It's far more reasonable. And there's absolutely no way, in my opinion, that this is the same design as what they showed at Goodwood. The new style one on the blue car below is a capped U-shaped design, with an L shaped section at the top that bridges the body gap and a U shaped section below it that crushes with pressure between the two panels but remains squeezed between them to locate and support the L-shaped cap strip from below.

1662477253618.png

Compare that to the seal shown at Goodwood on the yellow car below (from Pav's video) which is a simpler L profile, but oriented in a completely different way, with the front-facing arm of the L creating a curve upward to a ridge, and the back side of the L sitting against the hood panel to locate it. This is filling the (very wide) gap without any "crush" of the seal in any way. This type of seal would make far more sense if the panel gap was tighter, and the front-facing arm of the seal was folded down so the seal was "captured" between the two panels like: |/\| - rather than |⏗⏋|

1662478154075.png

Another view of the Goodwood seal, brightened up to show the weird non-utilized foldable profile.
1662479483482.png

Altogether, I think the new design is a big improvement.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Based on the pics shown here of recent builds, it appears that they changed the type of seal entirely after Goodwood.

This new production (or near production) spec looks pretty good to me... the seal is present but minimized visually, and the side junction where the bumper meets the fender panel is straight and tight.

View attachment 8650

This looks fine! It's far more reasonable. And there's absolutely no way, in my opinion, that this is the same design as what they showed at Goodwood. The new style one on the blue car below is a capped U-shaped design, with an L shaped section at the top that bridges the body gap and a U shaped section below it that crushes with pressure between the two panels but remains squeezed between them to locate and support the L-shaped cap strip from below.

View attachment 8651

Compare that to the seal shown at Goodwood on the yellow car below (from Pav's video) which is a simpler L profile, but oriented in a completely different way, with the front-facing arm of the L creating a curve upward to a ridge, and the back side of the L sitting against the hood panel to locate it. This is filling the (very wide) gap without any "crush" of the seal in any way. This type of seal would make far more sense if the panel gap was tighter, and the front-facing arm of the seal was folded down so the seal was "captured" between the two panels like: |/\| - rather than |⏗⏋|

View attachment 8652

Another view of the Goodwood seal, brightened up to show the weird non-utilized foldable profile.
View attachment 8653

That's some dedication to rubber strippage 🤣
I likey though. Good analysis and read 👍

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order

View attachment 8650

View attachment 8651

View attachment 8652

View attachment 8653

There's someone more obsessive about tracking the details than me! Great work on this, seal-jūdan 🙏

Toomanyloti

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
sorry to drag this up again but i'm attempting to be positive about 'the gap'.
I was dropping one of my boys at school today and had the nose of a fiesta looking at me as i got out of the car. It has a gigantic gap and a massive rubber seal akin to a door seal...huuuuge

Captain.Kirk

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I was dropping one of my boys at school today and had the nose of a fiesta looking at me as i got out of the car. It has a gigantic gap and a massive rubber seal akin to a door seal...huuuuge
So my suggestion is to NOT buy a Fiesta. Besides, the Emira gap will now seem so small because that Fiesta gap is burned into your mind.

OP
Porter

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
See my post two above yours. They fixed it.

I've also added a disclaimer to the OP.