Let's talk about the new bonnet/hood seal

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Resurrecting an old thread! Can the bonnet be adjusted to close the gap a little? Some seem less noticeable that others
I saw it last week and it was not a big gap. The only thing that ruins it is the cheap and poorly fitted rubber weather strip.
Be really interesting to see if removing it makes any difference to noise or weather proofing

FW190

Reaction score
Reasonable concerns, would counsel 'wait to see'. It may change again. Does minimize with darker colors. Recall first '70 240Z had rear hatch vents (not so pretty), eliminated by '71. Bottom end bearing issues on early E46 M3s (PITA, recall!) cured about 2003.5, so teething problems happen. All said, what's a Plan B???

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
We need a Lotus tech rep on this forum to provide some solid answers.
Plenty of Lotus people on here, just that they're generally not allowed to post in an official capacity.

1stLotus

Reaction score
Revisiting this as I’m seeing more pictures and we’re all getting our cars soon!

Any other ideas to either close the gap or make the seal more subtle? Do they have replacement seals that can match the color? I’m getting silver and some pictures the gap stand out and bother me. Silly I know, but I’m wondering if taking a permanent silver marker would make it more discreet without ruining it.

OP
Porter

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
This isn't an issue any more and was only on the early press cars. Pretty sure the production models look just fine.
100% solved in the production cars. It's a very narrow, appropriate rubber gasket at the joint where the hood meets the bumper.

1stLotus

Reaction score
img_1208-jpeg.37976

Saw this picture on the Osmium Silver thread and personally I’d prefer to have the hood and bumper look less separated. Then again, I don’t think I’ve stared at many (if any other cars) as much as this beaut, lol.

ADC

Just Jazzed About Being On The Show
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
img_1208-jpeg.37976

Saw this picture on the Osmium Silver thread and personally I’d prefer to have the hood and bumper look less separated. Then again, I don’t think I’ve stared at many (if any other cars) as much as this beaut, lol.

TBH, in person, you just don't notice it... the pre-prod ones were *much* more noticeable.

Speedy Emira

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
This is the first time I’ve read this thread so to be honest it can’t be that bad because I’ve never even noticed it or thought it looked bad.
Like 1stLotus said it’s still a beaut. 😁👍🏻

OP
Porter

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Y'all missed the original intro of the crazy fat seal, which was the reason why this thread was created.

The original show cars and demo cars in 2021 didn't have a rubber seal there at all, it was basically a zero gap panel-to-panel seam there. Very smooth, looked awesome.

Then the early production test cars rolled out in early 2022 and started being seen various places, including at Goodwood in 2022, and they were AWFUL looking. Had a giant, super thick rubber strip between the hood and the front bumper that looked roughly the diameter of a human thumb, in splotchy grey-black rubber. And we all flipped out.

Then they re-engineered it, fixed their build process and part design, and the final version is perfectly reasonable.