Let's talk about the new bonnet/hood seal

TXEMIRA

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
B1A37F9F-84DA-4F1B-8F3C-5B236715FEFC.jpeg

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
OMG !! how does anyone expect the aftermarket accessory manufacturers to be able to make a living UNLESS Lotus leaves some areas for them to offer aftermarket accessories,..... like a possible color matched rubber piece ????

Yah know, the aftermarket needs to be able to make a living also, offering parts to fix up what the OEM's obviously and INTENTIONALLY left for them to work on !!

Everyone should be thanking Lotus for leaving this black rubber line so that the aftermarket manufacturers can make and sell replacement parts so that they can feed there kids and send them to college !!.
Considering how many of the i4 cars will probably be sold in China, I wouldn't be at all surprised if some enterprising company (probably in China) comes up with body-colored seal strips for the front. If the car is popular over there, I would expect all kinds of extra things, like carbon fiber body panels, front splitters, rear wings, etc. will become available.

John 1963

Reaction score
I understand completely what you are saying... but I completely disagree, with respect.. haha.

The yaris does have a decent shift, not that mechanical... or yes, but mechanical in a plasticy way I would say, good and quite short for that sort of a car. HOWEVER, like a none car enthusiast female friend of mine said once, when a guy came to see my lotus Elise for sale and in the end decided to keep his, "souped" (im hungry) and suspensioned up (school day memories) MX5 special edition instead of buying the lotus, which he later regretted ..

she said.... "at the end of the day, its a mazda"

That says it all for me. GR Yaris is a good car compared to the Yaris.. but inside, it is still a yaris and is a HORRIBLE place to be, full of cheap crappy tacky plastic. Info entertainment from 10 years ago. You sit so high up, I felt I was on harry's farm not harry's garage (that just came to me, quite happy with that one!!!)

It has a manufactured noise and even with the miracle of science and fakeness, its not a shadow on the V6's real noise.
Looking at the two cars externally, well, do I even need to continue with that one...

the ONLY reason I would take they keys to my GR, if I had not sold it asap, would be as its easier to park and if it gets scratched, I wont be as annoyed. ☔ and its good in the wet :)
And 50 thousand pounds cheaper and will always resell - will the emira first edition with no limits on the amount to be produced and the later probs more sorted v6 somewhat cheaper I spy trouble up ahead

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
And 50 thousand pounds cheaper and will always resell - will the emira first edition with no limits on the amount to be produced and the later probs more sorted v6 somewhat cheaper I spy trouble up ahead
Can’t argue with the price but it’s not comparing apples with apples more blueberries with apples.
I will take my chances on future values, in the end I have bought many aces including the Yaris knowing I wouldn’t lose any money, but the lotus is a different kettle of fish :)

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
The longer it takes to get parts and cars produced, the less time Lotus has to be able to sell the V6. That window of opportunity pretty much closes by the end of 2025. If V6 models aren't going to be shipped until late this year, that will put that window being open for only 3 years now. They'll undoubtedly make more i4 models over the production life of the Emira, which I'm sure will be more popular for the performance crowd, but years from now it's going to be the nostalgia/collector crowd that will want the V6 models. If you're getting a V6 FE, keep all the paperwork and provenance. Any stories you have about what it was like to get it, first drive, etc. will be worth documenting in photos, videos, or even a journal.

Despite the frustrations everybody (including Lotus) is having right now, once we get past all this, this is going to be a very special car.

Pugwash

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I hope the whole engine shroud can be quickly removed and put in storage without it looking unfinished. This would leave the engine more open like in the Evora which is fine by me.
My Evora had a plastic panel which covered the whole engine. I believe Tom E will have the same on this. Maybe these things go in and out of fashion?

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
My Evora had a plastic panel which covered the whole engine. I believe Tom E will have the same on this. Maybe these things go in and out of fashion?
That's right Evora Series 1 had a removable engine cover. Later cars showed off the engine

P1010128s.jpg.052d3af576aba645e29935affab149e2.jpg

20161101124204-ed3f4a5e.jpg

OP
Porter

Porter

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Anyone else notice this? Looks like maybe the addition of the thick rubber seal is pushing the bumper skin slightly down and forward, creating a little tilt at the side panel join.

1656210685216.png

I would honestly take a 6dB increase in wind noise if they would get rid of the rubber seal. It looks like something you'd use in the track of a screen door.

Autopsy

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Anyone else notice this? Looks like maybe the addition of the thick rubber seal is pushing the bumper skin slightly down and forward, creating a little tilt at the side panel join.

View attachment 6953

I would honestly take a 6dB increase in wind noise if they would get rid of the rubber seal. It looks like something you'd use in the track of a screen door.
Great observation! If it is not some assembling variation it actually can be good news: it suggests we can somehow tweak the bumper installing position and make gap thin like the original show car. :unsure:

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score

View attachment 6953

it would be interesting to know at what speed the wind noise became noticeable and then if it were the case that below 100mph its not noticeable, then those that dont regularly drive at that speed, well they can remove it and whp cares what noise you have on a track day...

something to ask Lotus perhaps...
I personally dont mind it..and my car is red...and blue...and I should have gone with black wheels as they loook the best, but I will maybe wrap the DC wheels and end of story.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
it would be interesting to know at what speed the wind noise became noticeable and then if it were the case that below 100mph its not noticeable, then those that dont regularly drive at that speed, well they can remove it and whp cares what noise you have on a track day...

something to ask Lotus perhaps...
I personally dont mind it..and my car is red...and blue...and I should have gone with black wheels as they loook the best, but I will maybe wrap the DC wheels and end of story.
Just keep taking cats and silencers off the exhaust until you can't hear it

Kentviking

Emira Fan
Reaction score
That's right Evora Series 1 had a removable engine cover. Later cars showed off the engine

P1010128s.jpg.052d3af576aba645e29935affab149e2.jpg

20161101124204-ed3f4a5e.jpg
I believe the Emira engine cover is metal, no?...would have been nice to be able to choose an alternative colour, like red, or yellow to match the callipers, and really ping in that rear window.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Painting the engine is a fairly easy job with the right high temperature paint. A few Evora owners have done that, either red or bodywork-coloured.

OP
Porter

Porter

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I wouldn't bet on that. With the inevitable upcoming pricing changes due to global inflation and supply chain problems, I expect the Base V6 by the 2nd or 3rd year of Emira production will cost as much then as the current First Edition V6 does now. In the long term view, FEV6 buyers are probably getting all the extra options "for free" compared to the later pricing by simply being early on the order book.