Let's talk about the new bonnet/hood seal

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Indeed and metalised I believe, I had assumed the suggestion was the cloth based gaffer:)) ) rather than shiny metal duct tape.
Yeah gaffer is cloth backed so it can be easily removed and repositioned. Duct tape has more plastic in the backing and is stronger, so it became a must-have tool in racing team's toolboxes for quickly taping up bodywork when needed.

virtualmacho

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The metal particles in the duct tape will help dissipate static charges allowing the car to rev above 7000 rpm, corner faster, and lower gas prices. Much better than the cloth based alternative.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
The metal particles in the duct tape will help dissipate static charges allowing the car to rev above 7000 rpm, corner faster, and lower gas prices. Much better than the cloth based alternative.
Yep. Smoother, slicker, less drag; definitely good for another 5 hp, and if you put a sponsor sticker on it, it can even help generate revenue.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
duct-tape

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
#forthebonnetgap

I took the Lotus guy over to it and said this can’t be final can it. He said no. Apparently the final one will sit a fraction proud of the bonnet for wind noise.

Have you really just said that no it isn't production ready. It's going to get bigger and not sit flush with the body work 😆

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
So it's actually supposed to stick up an inch above the bodywork as a Gurney flap? Cool. lol

ADC

Just Jazzed About Being On The Show
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Pav said:
#forthebonnetgap

I took the Lotus guy over to it and said this can’t be final can it. He said no. Apparently the final one will sit a fraction proud of the bonnet for wind noise.
Have you really just said that no it isn't production ready. It's going to get bigger and not sit flush with the body work 😆
I know, right?! Have I completely misread that?? 🤦‍♂️

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Misled about HP and redline too. Matt Windle is on video last year specifically saying the Emira has 416HP.

We were also shown a car with lowering springs and wheel spacers. A steering wheel with deviated stitching a TDC strip that now can't be had for most of us. And now there's a unsightly hood gap filled with rubber weather stripping.

Theres no reason for that gap. As @Porter said, there are alternate hinges that can and should have been used. I've seen many vehicles with hoods that open in the same direction without the ugly gap and rubber.
Honestly folks, I know we're all crawling over these pictures and details to micro-analyse everything and are referencing back to previous info or statements from Lotus. But I think you're in danger of winding yourselves up into a permanent state of disappointment.

The car has been in development since the reveal last year and some elements still aren't quite finalised. Some things Lotus has had to tackle late in the day as it has come up in testing, type approval or reviews - a lot of which is unseen. The bonnet strip appears to be in response to a recently-pinpointed wind noise issue, for example. Some of the things Lotus are doing are in response to supply issues, and some of the things they'd like to do they can't ... because of supply issues.

Again, I'm not trying to make excuses for Lotus and it's fine to point out things that look odd or disappointing. But accusing Lotus of deliberately misleading customers is I think unfair. Things change during the development of a car that's not yet in production. They're working hard to get round the obstacles being thrown at them to try and get you the car they want you to have.

I remember someone a while back saying they were cancelling their order because there was no keyless entry on the Emira. If some of these points, or the accumulation of them, are deal breakers for you that's fine. Some may be able to be sorted after delivery, but some may not. Or if you want to defer and wait for 6-12 month then you can see and test drive a car, and Lotus will hopefully have ironed out supply chain issues and maybe tweaked a few things.

Yesterday there was a queue of people placing new deposits based on what they saw. And plenty of deposit holders excitedly waiting for their cars.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
The hood seal is a complete non issue ya'll are weird.

That being said are there any photos of how the front hood actually opens if at all?

It's held by three captive bolts at the windscreen edge. Only needs access for maintenance (washer fluid and dipstick/oil filler under the rear engine hatch).

Autocar Jan 2022 A.jpeg

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
@TomE, speaking of oil dipsticks...

I couldn't find it in the Emira as yet... do you have a photo of where the engine oil dipstick is?

I HATE electronic oil level indicators with a passion!

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Honestly folks, I know we're all crawling over these pictures and details to micro-analyse everything and are referencing back to previous info or statements from Lotus. But I think you're in danger of winding yourselves up into a permanent state of disappointment.

The car has been in development since the reveal last year and some elements still aren't quite finalised. Some things Lotus has had to tackle late in the day as it has come up in testing, type approval or reviews - a lot of which is unseen. The bonnet strip appears to be in response to a recently-pinpointed wind noise issue, for example. Some of the things Lotus are doing are in response to supply issues, and some of the things they'd like to do they can't ... because of supply issues.

Again, I'm not trying to make excuses for Lotus and it's fine to point out things that look odd or disappointing. But accusing Lotus of deliberately misleading customers is I think unfair. Things change during the development of a car that's not yet in production. They're working hard to get round the obstacles being thrown at them to try and get you the car they want you to have.

I remember someone a while back saying they were cancelling their order because there was no keyless entry on the Emira. If some of these points, or the accumulation of them, are deal breakers for you that's fine. Some may be able to be sorted after delivery, but some may not. Or if you want to defer and wait for 6-12 month then you can see and test drive a car, and Lotus will hopefully have ironed out supply chain issues and maybe tweaked a few things.

Yesterday there was a queue of people placing new deposits based on what they saw. And plenty of deposit holders excitedly waiting for their cars.
I have a reasonably long list of disappointments 😅 BUT, no point going over them at this stage.
The one good thing about the delays are test drives for all of us in production ready cars end of July. So now we can make our own minds up based upon these drives. Not much more to say is there 😅
Oh OK I cant help myself, I still think it should have got 410 bhp and a 7000 minimum redline and don't believe the emissions bit for a second 😇😋 Apart from that not much more to say is there 😁

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I have a reasonably long list of disappointments 😅 BUT, no point going over them at this stage.
The one good thing about the delays are test drives for all of us in production ready cars end of July. So now we can make our own minds up based upon these drives. Not much more to say is there 😅
Oh OK I cant help myself, I still think it should have got 410 bhp and a 7000 minimum redline and don't believe the emissions bit for a second 😇😋 Apart from that not much more to say is there 😁

If Lotus were cheeky then they will leave a setting we can easily modify via ODB2 that enables 7000rpm redline at the expense of (slightly) increased emissions.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score

Agreed - you're probably correct about the danger of "permanent state of disappointment." I think us forum members and enthusiasts would be more satisfied if we took a step or two back and didn't over analyze every single aspect of this first MY Emira. We knew what we were getting into when that first deposit was made.

I think it all really comes down to lack of communication from Lotus, and especially to their ROW customers. US dealers have been completely in the dark and mine has been surprised when I bring them certain information or ask about confirmed changes. Now we're hearing about ~3 month delays from Goodwood and my dealer still thinks I should see my car in November. There's no way that's happening. I'm betting it'll be closer to Feb-March '23 (right in the dead of winter for my area) after shipping, port cert, transport to dealer, dealer prep, and final delivery. And another issue with the delay for me is that base spec options, pricing, and additional colors will likely be out by then and may cause quite a bit of buyer's remorse (depending).