Let's talk about the new bonnet/hood seal

kratedisease

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Just noticed this on the Goodwood display car...... WTF ?

Watch the video that I grabbed this screen shot from.

You can see this DISASTER at 10:00 in to the video. here is the link ..... WTF ???

Screen Shot 2022-07-13 at 6.51.26 AM.png

Pav

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Yep, it is not what you want to see on an £80k car is it. I did a video of the one on the yellow car...

eriegz

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
So, I guess we pretty much have our answer now: looks like that horrendous new rubber bonnet seal is here to stay. 😞

Earlier today, forum members in this thread uploaded photos of a "production with some parts missing so we didn’t have to cancel today" Emira, and... yep... the rubber hood seal is there, alright.

I guess we all have the next 6–8 months to start brainstorming solutions to fix it, right?

5e1266eb-3aa4-4cb7-b8ad-ae17ca63881c-jpeg.7618

5a36fc54-ae42-46f2-b4c4-8ae687cd5b60-jpeg.7625

c6f4df7d-b282-4570-8326-d07215d738e9-jpeg.7629

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
It's hard to look past for sure.
It doesn't help that I don't understand why it even needs to be there and why there isn't a smaller panel gap and seal underneath if required

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Maybe the gaskets really are color-matched, but the only ones that have arrived so far are DV… :D
there was a youtube guy who touched it at the show and it seemed to almost come away with his fingers. I dont mind the look of it, but would expect it to be very well attached at least!!

MCS

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I’ve been wondering if Ford Focus owners have been losing sleep over their bonnet/hood gaps?

6D4EFE75-8C15-402A-BDCC-2DDBF808F4FA.png

I’ve been spotting similar gaps on cars all over the pace with bonnets that meet the bumper/fender on the top like this.

P.s. the solution is DV

virtualmacho

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
It doesn't help that I don't understand why it even needs to be there and why there isn't a smaller panel gap and seal underneath if required
I have a feeling it was necessary to allow the front-hinged bonnet/hood to open. With lack of information, my guess would be that a simple hinge mechanism was used, and they needed a few millimeters of clearance. I'd go for a rubber thingy than a conspicuous 45 degree angle on the leading edge of the bonnet/hood and trailing end of the front bumper. They could have used a more sophisticated way of attaching the bonnet (with more lift), but that would have added weight before the front axle.
So, when are the brands in Paris and Milan coming out with outlandish designer gap-fillers? Actually, a simple brown leather string might look good on a Dark Verdant car... naahhhh

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I have a feeling it was necessary to allow the front-hinged bonnet/hood to open. With lack of information, my guess would be that a simple hinge mechanism was used, and they needed a few millimeters of clearance. I'd go for a rubber thingy than a conspicuous 45 degree angle on the leading edge of the bonnet/hood and trailing end of the front bumper. They could have used a more sophisticated way of attaching the bonnet (with more lift), but that would have added weight before the front axle.
So, when are the brands in Paris and Milan coming out with outlandish designer gap-fillers? Actually, a simple brown leather string might look good on a Dark Verdant car... naahhhh
Why didn't they just simplify it though and have it bolt on and off if it's service access only?

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Why didn't they just simplify it though and have it bolt on and off if it's service access only?
It's pretty simple already, it's a basic hinge. The aero/wind noise issue only came up in the last few months. Any redesign to the bonnet panel and/or associated hinges and fixings late in the programme would potentially have meant changes to moulds and components, hence changes with suppliers already under pressure. It might also have meant crash testing (for example pedestrian frontal impact) and type approval being invalidated and needing repeating. So sticking a seal in the gap is a simpler solution. If anyone's bothered by it then it's easily removed.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
It's pretty simple already, it's a basic hinge. The aero/wind noise issue only came up in the last few months. Any redesign to the bonnet panel and/or associated hinges and fixings late in the programme would potentially have meant changes to moulds and components, hence changes with suppliers already under pressure. It might also have meant crash testing (for example pedestrian frontal impact) and type approval being invalidated and needing repeating. So sticking a seal in the gap is a simpler solution. If anyone's bothered by it then it's easily removed.
I get that. But unsure why they made it like that in first place, when it doesn't need to be hinged like most other cars with a 'gap'

vision

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I get that. But unsure why they made it like that in first place, when it doesn't need to be hinged like most other cars with a 'gap'
Seriously?, no one has a car to moan about, so suggest we all wait and see what is delivered. If you don't like the gap and its a major deal breaker for you then don't take it.

eriegz

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
If anyone's bothered by it then it's easily removed.
One could just remove the rubber seal, sure, but you would be doing so at the expense of water, etc. now getting in.

Also, removing the rubber strip doesn't actually remove the gap itself. This new hood panel appears to be shorter in height than the earlier prototypes in order to accommodate the new rubber seal. One would have to add material onto the bottom to close the gap.

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
It's hard to look past for sure.
Wow, such widespread angst about an unseemly seam.
I'm almost missing the anguish over wheel gap.
In the absence of a car we have imagination.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
It needs to be hinged so you can access underneath it. A non-retained lift-out panel is just asking for it to be dropped or get damaged or lost.

Hethel Yellow in production with bonnet up.png

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
It needs to be hinged so you can access underneath it. A non-retained lift-out panel is just asking for it to be dropped or get damaged or lost.

View attachment 7650
I hear you but if a dealer can't 'not drop' it every service, or lose it.... then 🤷 🤣
Could have actually looked pretty cool with some cnc catches on it as well
Not like its heavy, may have even saved a few grams