Let’s talk about the offset pedal box

Stonecutter

Reaction score
I have read alot on this and it had me a little concerned. I can’t thank TomE enough for posting pics of the LHD and RHD in another thread.

Maybe those who test drove can confirm, but it appears my current pedal box has the brake quite close to the accelerator as well. One reviewer said that if feet on both pedals the shoes touch and I can say mine would as well. I just wanted to share this photo if a production audi for comparison for people who read about this quibble and are looking for more info on it.

To me what TomE showed isn’t much different than what I have, and haven’t even noticed as anything but a great box for heel toeing.

I’m 5’11 190lbs and size 11 shoes fwiw

If I understand the complaint correctly(brake too close to gas), maybe this helps anyone looking for more info on it after reading about it and maybe someone who has a photo of the LHD box can post for comparison. All manuals take getting to know the nuances of with the clutch side and maybe the Emira has some of that for the whole box but after verifying with my car I can’t see this as a big deal.

Attachments

• 28D01B28-4D41-4783-A67B-24B35999F3A7.jpeg
    28D01B28-4D41-4783-A67B-24B35999F3A7.jpeg
    350.5 KB · Views: 263

Lotus64

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I'm 6'1, 195 lbs, size 14. Longer legs / shorter torso.

With size 14 Puma driving shoes, I didn't notice the offset or any interference with the LHD Emira during the test drive. It was a non issue.

With normal sneakers / boots on, I can't say if there would be interference or not. But even if there was, it's worth the sacrifice. Special shoes for a special occasion.

OP
S

Stonecutter

Reaction score
If I show up to my demo drive with puma driving shows and stall the car first try in front of fanboys, is that bad?
nah, perfect. Just look deadpan at the rep with you after and tell him it’s not a good look for the demo car to have engine problems already. Also, Find some hills before traffic lights for the demo.

On that note, I live in flat Florida. Have only had 2 stick cars and last one was 18 years ago before my current one. Now I haven’t stalled it in a while, but the 2013 hill assist tech kicks in on my driveway but not on some much steeper I-95 off ramps and I am not comfy in tight traffic situations.

Does the Emira even have hill assist? Do you just activate Electric handbrake then manually deactivate once first is grabbing? I love manual, but I am no pro driver and I can’t do hills at all cause we don’t have them……

OP
S

Stonecutter

Reaction score
There is hill assist via electronic parking brake, but no rev matching. I found the demo very easy to drive. No complaints about the pedals being too close or offset.
That is what I figured. Thanks for the confirmation

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Hoping I can add some clarity here with what I felt on the LHD pedal box.

The accelerator, brake, and clutch pedal are all pretty narrow and occupy the space that you'd see both the accelerator and the brake would be in an automatic. This does indeed mean it feels like you're reaching over to where the brake pedal would be in an automatic with your left foot.

Is it a critical flaw? Nope.
Will it take some getting used to? A little bit, but not much.
What about the brake and accelerator pedal? They're close as you'd expect on a sports car.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Here's a repeat of my original post for reference:

Pedal offset: yes, there is on LHD. The RHD cars have no discernible offset and the brake pedal is centered on the centre line of the wheel and seat. The LHD cars do have a noticeable offset and the brake pedal is more towards the centre of the car, maybe by an inch. It's noticeable but (at least to me) didn't look like a big issue.

RHD:
img_9732-jpg.6814

LHD:
img_9760-jpg.6815

Note: the opening in the lower dash is not centered on the steering wheel.

There are some further comments about the spacing in some of the test drive reviews:

Info about electronic parking brake and hill assist is here:

1stczechemira

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Here's a repeat of my original post for reference:

Pedal offset: yes, there is on LHD. The RHD cars have no discernible offset and the brake pedal is centered on the centre line of the wheel and seat. The LHD cars do have a noticeable offset and the brake pedal is more towards the centre of the car, maybe by an inch. It's noticeable but (at least to me) didn't look like a big issue.

RHD:
img_9732-jpg.6814

LHD:
img_9760-jpg.6815

Note: the opening in the lower dash is not centered on the steering wheel.

There are some further comments about the spacing in some of the test drive reviews:

Info about electronic parking brake and hill assist is here:

My Emira is a LHD car. The offset is a little noticeable when driving the car for the first time. I don't feel any offset more as I drive the car repeatedly for more as 1 month. That is definitely no issue.

I think the offset on RHD cars (smaller than on LHD cars) can't be a problem at all.

iVTECdailyy

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Reviving this thread:

Drove the car for the first time today. I don’t mind the pedal offset as much as I do the proximity of the pedals. If my foot is on the brake, the clutch foot hits it every single time.

Also the rest plate is much too thin. I find only half my foot is resting in the foot rest.

I’m looking into some driving shoes to see if it makes a difference.

I wear a size 10 shoe. On another note, I am a foot and ankle surgeon by profession. Maybe I’m too cognizant of my feet?

cyanmauve

Emira Fan
Reaction score
LHD Emira here.

The clutch pedal is, to me, noticeably offset to the right. However, it’s no problem for me in driving.

The accelerator and brake pedals are close, but appropriately so for heel and toe driving. They are where I want them to be in relation to one another.

I wear size 14 shoes and I don’t feel boxed in. However, I’m one of those weirdos that wears hippy-dippy zero rise, ultraflexible sole, wide toe box “minimalist” athletic shoes (for all occasions, too). Normal people athletic shoes in the same size would feel cramped, I think.

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I wear size 14 shoes and I don’t feel boxed in. However, I’m one of those weirdos that wears hippy-dippy zero rise, ultraflexible sole, wide toe box “minimalist” athletic shoes (for all occasions, too). Normal people athletic shoes in the same size would feel cramped, I think.
What kind of shoe is this? I feel like I'm missing out on a useful secret.

seriously

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Anyone notice how the pedal box looks different from the first post? First pic shows gas pedal attached to the floor and the more recent pics show it coming from the top. I much prefer the first orientation with thr gas pedal connection to the floor.

iVTECdailyy

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
What kind of shoe is this? I feel like I'm missing out on a useful secret.
You’re not. These are terrible for 1st world concrete / tarmac sidewalks and floors.

Source: foot and ankle doctor

I don’t mind the closeness of the accelerator and brake. My biggest complaint is the footrest is way too thin. And I need more room between the clutch and brake.

cyanmauve

Emira Fan
Reaction score
You’re not. These are terrible for 1st world concrete / tarmac sidewalks and floors.

Source: foot and ankle doctor

I don’t mind the closeness of the accelerator and brake. My biggest complaint is the footrest is way too thin. And I need more room between the clutch and brake.
Looks like someone's on the payroll of Big Shoe!

cyanmauve

Emira Fan
Reaction score
lol I wish. I'm trying to find some driving shoes. Any recs from anyone on this forum?
All kidding aside, and if you really only planned on using them for driving, "minimalist shoes", specifically some of the ones from Xero, would probably fit your bill. Different models have different levels of support. Some are more minimal than others.

I won't tell your patients.

I'm a periodontist, and I don't floss every night. I probably miss once a month. My patients don't need to know, though.

iVTECdailyy

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
All kidding aside, and if you really only planned on using them for driving, "minimalist shoes", specifically some of the ones from Xero, would probably fit your bill. Different models have different levels of support. Some are more minimal than others.

I won't tell your patients.

I'm a periodontist, and I don't floss every night. I probably miss once a month. My patients don't need to know, though.

haha you know the drill! I'll check these out. So far I was only looking at Puma and Piloti. Would probably just keep the shoes in my car 24/7.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
lol I wish. I'm trying to find some driving shoes. Any recs from anyone on this forum?
Driving loafers are easy to slip on and off, and they have soles and heels specifically for driving and traction on pedals. Try a search for DSW Driving Loafers and you'll see all kinds of styles. If you're looking for track shoes, search for Motorsport Shoes.