• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Electronic Parking Brake

trackday14

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I raised the issue of the parking brake activating automatically (in all driving modes)…Thankfully, according to the Emira manual (p. 100), this feature can be deactivated. Phew!

Attachments

• 56CD322F-920E-47CC-95F4-8FDA532363DD.jpeg
    56CD322F-920E-47CC-95F4-8FDA532363DD.jpeg
    149.7 KB · Views: 1,022

KCMO68_510

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Yeah, having it automatically activate could lead to horrific results for track days. Honestly not having a parking brake handle is my least favorite aspect of this car.

Glad to see that the functionality of leaving the parking brake off still exists.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Nice find! Glad there's an option to disengage it. I assume there would need to be something like that for towing purposes too...

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Also worth adding here about being able to deactivate the parking brake manually or automatically, as I think some folks on demos have been told incorrectly that it has to be done manually.

electric parking brake (handbook p167).JPG

ADC

Just Jazzed About Being On The Show
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Nice find! Glad there's an option to disengage it. I assume there would need to be something like that for towing purposes too...
Also important when you are going through automated car washes, amirite?!

😏

ADC

Just Jazzed About Being On The Show
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
@schorsch made a good point about separate calipers for the park brake... Even though the rotors will be hot, that's going to help for sure

Pugwash

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Hill Start Assist must be user configurable too. It was not working on the test drive I did earlier today.

OP
trackday14

trackday14

Emira Fan
Reaction score
There are dedicated extra brake callipers for the parking brake, so the track day should not be an issue.
I respectfully disagree, one of the most basic rules of track days is not to use your parking brake after hot laps.

shaank

Emira Fan
Reaction score
By default the 'auto hand brake' is set to off. You have to turn it on in a menu. Track mode turns it off again.

OP
trackday14

trackday14

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Yeah, having it automatically activate could lead to horrific results for track days. Honestly not having a parking brake handle is my least favorite aspect of this car.

Glad to see that the functionality of leaving the parking brake off still exists.
That was exactly why I was so concerned during my test drive - and the Lotus rep had no idea.
By default the 'auto hand brake' is set to off. You have to turn it on in a menu. Track mode turns it off again.
On my demo car, Track mode did NOT disable it.

Irocnroll

Reaction score

Yes, just because you have the technology to do something, doesn't mean you should do it. If we had a hand brake, we wouldn't even need something like hill start assist.

I feel the same way about push button start. How hard was it to turn a key, anyway.? And I'd prefer a nice round analog tachometer.

Pugwash

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I didn't see the option anywhere in the car menu. Maybe I'm not right... then tell me where it can be set, please.
All I know is on the test drive yesterday I came to a halt with the car facing up a hill and as soon as I took my foot off the brake it rolled backwards. I did this as a specific test to see if it had hill hold assist. I see above that the manual says it does but when I did what I did, it did not hold it. What does your car do when you stop on a slope?

Speedluvver

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
All I know is on the test drive yesterday I came to a halt with the car facing up a hill and as soon as I took my foot off the brake it rolled backwards. I did this as a specific test to see if it had hill hold assist. I see above that the manual says it does but when I did what I did, it did not hold it. What does your car do when you stop on a slope?
On my drive it did hold it, so it must be a setting

Wolfram

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I respectfully disagree, one of the most basic rules of track days is not to use your parking brake after hot laps.
^^^ This

Except... I have never found a way to leave any of my DCT cars in gear with the parking brake off after hot laps. Some have a 'car wash' mode, but unless the ground is completely level they will just roll off...!