Leather vs Alacantara?

Pops68

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
no one should worry about alcantara stuff.

1. it lasts really long if you are not a pig
2. most people are pigs
3. just get leather
4. leather stretches and looks like crap if youre a pig
5. get cow patterned seat covers and a gold chain steering wheel from the 70's
This little piggy says; I worry more about wearing the side bolster getting my porky butt in and out of the car... If I was one of y'all skinny folks I'd buy a Jetson I..:)

VicVenlo

Reaction score
The demo I drove had an alcantara steering wheel and it looked like the packaging foam was still wrapped around it, ugly. The center-stripe looked awful and ugly stitched. But I have a question: has anyone actually seen an Emira leather steering wheel: even Harry Metcalff's Emira, with its leather interior seems to have an alcantara steering wheel.... ?

Citizen

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
No issue found it in this leather wheel I saw

Attachments

• 0A4006A1-08AD-4E45-A83A-C1FA6A29D756.jpeg
    0A4006A1-08AD-4E45-A83A-C1FA6A29D756.jpeg
    151.1 KB · Views: 96

Citizen

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
And this photo was from few days ago test driving it

Attachments

• 6011B86C-E138-42EE-8D38-20F8CC377801.png
    6011B86C-E138-42EE-8D38-20F8CC377801.png
    326 KB · Views: 97

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Yes, I saw and used a leather steering wheel on the demo car at Bell & Colvill. I then drove a demo car with an alcantara wheel a few hours later. I (very slightly) preferred the alcantara one, purely from a driving perspective. My car has been specified and locked in with a leather interior and leather wheel and I am happy with that. It's mainly about personal preference.

93D7BC5A-1F15-4829-9666-7274447C1D5B.jpeg

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Yes, I saw and used a leather steering wheel on the demo car at Bell & Colvill. I then drove a demo car with an alcantara wheel a few hours later. I (very slightly) preferred the alcantara one, purely from a driving perspective. My car has been specified and locked in with a leather interior and leather wheel and I am happy with that. It's mainly about personal preference.

View attachment 20760
And yet I felt that the Alcantara felt like a microfibre steering wheel which it probably is, I disliked it.

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I’ve read the steering wheel is too fat. My demo car’s leather wheel had perfect thickness, maybe the alcanrara is fat.
I test drove with alcantara, the width seems fine, still narrower than my BMW alcantara wheel.

if anything the off center axis is what bugs me, but that's for a different thread.

KJD

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I specced Alcantara because I thought the leather wheel in the roadshow car was boring.

If I’d known the leather was going to have dimples I’d deffo have gone for that.

Another downside to being an early adopter. (And it was an extra £400 🙄)

lion shf

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I test drove with alcantara, the width seems fine, still narrower than my BMW alcantara wheel.

if anything the off center axis is what bugs me, but that's for a different thread.
I was laughing too hard to notice anything. The worst thing for lotus is if I take a more serious test drive lol

ADC

Just Jazzed About Being On The Show
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
You'll be able to clean your dishes with it too 😀
I fully intend to use it to avoid doing dishes... "oh, I've just noticed we need milk"

< peals out to "go to the shops" />

SteveB

Reaction score
Think it’s been mentioned on this forum before that steering wheels on race cars are commonly upholstered with Alcantara to provide maximum grip when wearing race gloves which don’t have as much grip with traditional leather wheels. The link between Alcantara and race cars explains its sporty appeal. Conversely, bare hands grip better on leather wheels, so if you’re not planning on wearing racing gloves when driving an Emira, a leather steering wheel is probably a better choice 😉

lion shf

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Think it’s been mentioned on this forum before that steering wheels on race cars are commonly upholstered with Alcantara to provide maximum grip when wearing race gloves which don’t have as much grip with traditional leather wheels. The link between Alcantara and race cars explains its sporty appeal. Conversely, bare hands grip better on leather wheels, so if you’re not planning on wearing racing gloves when driving an Emira, a leather steering wheel is probably a better choice 😉
A guy on the 718 forum posted a pic wearing gloves so he didn’t mess up his steering wheel I’ll try to find it, as funny as my c8 brothers owner pics

promise me brothers, we will do better
eCxq0IT.jpg

Last edited:

Magma

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
A guy on the 718 forum posted a pic wearing gloves so he didn’t mess up his steering wheel I’ll try to find it, as funny as my c8 brothers owner pics

promise me brothers, we will do better
eCxq0IT.jpg
You sure the Cayman wasn't photoshopped in? Looks like more of a Corvette driver with those cut off jeans and black socks....the gloves take it to another level.

lion shf

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
You sure the Cayman wasn't photoshopped in? Looks like more of a Corvette driver with those cut off jeans and black socks....the gloves take it to another level.
That dude is 100% UK
this is the only man allowed to rock jorts
pb9V3r4.jpg