Leather vs Alacantara?

OP
Shyatic

Shyatic

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I'm no fan of Alcantara but I think this video is a little misleading. Alcantara does not wear like that, and certainly not after only a few thousand or 10k miles. I believe this particular car had a driver that had especially oily hands or used a lot of hand cream. Cleaning the wheel and shift knob with a good leather cleaner should restore it back to its original fluffy state.

Anyway, I would also vote for the leather steering wheel. I have had Alcantara in a few of the cars I've owned. For people who track their cars, the extra grabby fabric is great for seating material. But as a daily driver, I find it to be too grabby and I have to lift myself off the seat in order to readjust my clothing. It's great as a headliner material. That's about it. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
The fact that it *can* wear like that though, is my concern. I plan to keep this car for a good long while, and any car with leather I've owned it's been pretty minimal to keep it looking great and soft.

scarzie

Emira Fan
Reaction score
My experience with an 'alcantara' wheel was with benz's dynamica material in my E63S which I've read is a budget version of Alcantara, but it wasn't great and was matted down after a few years. I much prefer the smoothness of leather to Alcantara's grippiness. That said I don't plan to track the car very much and when I do I'll be using gloves.

Evotion

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I have 3 cars with leather.... The Emira has to be Alcantara, plus it reminded me of my beloved integrale Evo 2.

Saying that, I originally wanted to get a green Emira with Tan leather until i saw it was actually Black with green flecks,

~el~jefe~

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I have alcantara in my m4, I also maintain it and keep it clean which takes a considerable amount more effort than the leather surfaces. I can visually see the degradation over 2 years — there’s no way it’ll last as long as a leather.
it does wear sooner than leather. It also is really really really cheap to replace if you get to know someone in the business.

mid-Quality leather + not being a heavy person + cleaning it weekly + never allowing food in a car or ball point pens = Last for 40+ years. Also, grown men should not be wearing blue jeans unless you are wrangling sheep or you sing at bars or have a large and well groomed mustache. they also rip and dye seats pretty badly.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
The fact that it *can* wear like that though, is my concern. I plan to keep this car for a good long while, and any car with leather I've owned it's been pretty minimal to keep it looking great and soft.
My sisters 2001 Evo 6 TME shows no sign of wear.
Everyone make their own decision but:
a) look after alcantara same way you would leather or cloth, all good...
b) are you going to even own the car for more than 5 years, relax....

Evotion

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Are we not really worrying over absolutely nothing.

I have had, I dunno, 30 different cars. The longest I ever owned one car was 3 years - a company car - and the rest probably average 18 months.

I am certainly not going to worry about the longevity of Alcantara. I just know it looks great and feels great and suits the car.

OP
Shyatic

Shyatic

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

I have had, I dunno, 30 different cars. The longest I ever owned one car was 3 years - a company car - and the rest probably average 18 months.

I am certainly not going to worry about the longevity of Alcantara. I just know it looks great and feels great and suits the car.
I keep cars 5+ years in general, so it's a consideration for me... especially since there is no gas equivalent that Lotus will be putting out after this.

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order

I'm not sure if this is some sort of humble brag -- but no, the typical car owner isn't keeping a car for 18 months, and yes interior materials durability is a legitimate consideration.

scarzie

Emira Fan
Reaction score
it does wear sooner than leather. It also is really really really cheap to replace if you get to know someone in the business.

mid-Quality leather + not being a heavy person + cleaning it weekly + never allowing food in a car or ball point pens = Last for 40+ years. Also, grown men should not be wearing blue jeans unless you are wrangling sheep or you sing at bars or have a large and well groomed mustache. they also rip and dye seats pretty badly.
Agreed on most points sans the jeans comment, I'm in construction supply and meet with architects, designers, as well as contractors daily. Proper jeans are a necessity! Especially for site visits

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I had Alcantara on a 2003 BMW which wore, admittedly it was the side bolsters which can go with Leather. We have an 04 plate a Freelander with Alcantara inserts and leather sides. Both are immaculate. My preference is Leather simply as I feel it’s a more premium product but do love the feel of Alcantara.

Matt

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I'm no fan of Alcantara but I think this video is a little misleading. Alcantara does not wear like that, and certainly not after only a few thousand or 10k miles. I believe this particular car had a driver that had especially oily hands or used a lot of hand cream. Cleaning the wheel and shift knob with a good leather cleaner should restore it back to its original fluffy state.

Anyway, I would also vote for the leather steering wheel. I have had Alcantara in a few of the cars I've owned. For people who track their cars, the extra grabby fabric is great for seating material. But as a daily driver, I find it to be too grabby and I have to lift myself off the seat in order to readjust my clothing. It's great as a headliner material. That's about it. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
My GT86 has the alcantara adorment on my door panel. After 5 years using, the left part has some white stain. I do clean the alcantara part cafully.I don't know what happend. Maybe because I lowered the window in some rainny days. However, the seats are OK.:unsure:
right.jpg
chair.jpg
left.jpg

ADC

Just Jazzed About Being On The Show
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Also, grown men should not be wearing blue jeans unless you are wrangling sheep or you sing at bars or have a large and well groomed mustache.
What the hell is this?! WTF else am I supposed to wear with my sports coat and white sneakers?! :)
But seriously, did you mean jean shorts perhaps, a la the Magnum PI look? Or are you a militant slacks-or-GTFO kind of guy?
Jeans are the go-to trouser of my generation (and many others I'm guessing), so you have placed yourself in a precarious position, friend... :D

PS: for on-topic-ness, I want alcantara for the "pretend I'm a racer" factor, and seeing as I don't expect the kids to constantly cover it in muck, I can live with the consequences in terms of required maintenance.

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
What the hell is this?! WTF else am I supposed to wear with my sports coat and white sneakers?! :)
But seriously, did you mean jean shorts perhaps, a la the Magnum PI look? Or are you a militant slacks-or-GTFO kind of guy?
Jeans are the go-to trouser of my generation (and many others I'm guessing), so you have placed yourself in a precarious position, friend... :D

PS: for on-topic-ness, I want alcantara for the "pretend I'm a racer" factor, and seeing as I don't expect the kids to constantly cover it in muck, I can live with the consequences in terms of required maintenance.
I’ll be buried in my skinny jeans.

~el~jefe~

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score

MickOpalak

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Leather is slippery, get red hot in the summer and quite cold in the winter.
Alcantara is grippy, stays cool in the summer and warn in the winter.

ksegg

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
IMO, Alcantara ages poorly. I'm opting for full leather interior.

In just 2-3 years (assuming you're driving it on weekends only, which isn't much) an all-Alcantara interior is going to still look like it's been beaten to hell, even if you're taking care of it.