Latest KEF Uni-Q speaker review

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
They look really cool!

The (front) Uni-Q driver design in copper/gold within the Royal Blue set are likely the same colour design used in the Eletre show car. I would be a bit worried about having those drivers exposed without a mesh grille inside a car like the Eletre has. One accidental bump and the driver or tweeter waveguide is destroyed with likely a big replacement bill!

NicolasB

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I have Devialet Phantom 1 speakers (equivalent to gold model from before). I recently bought Kef LS50 wireless ii speakers to try & compare because everyone claims they are amazing. I even ordered the $1,500 wireless sub. Playing back to back with my pair of Phantoms was not even close. The Phantoms made the Kef sound weak & tinny. Hope the car stereo is better.

kenniGT

Reaction score
They look really cool!

The (front) Uni-Q driver design in copper/gold within the Royal Blue set are likely the same colour design used in the Eletre show car. I would be a bit worried about having those drivers exposed without a mesh grille inside a car like the Eletre has. One accidental bump and the driver or tweeter waveguide is destroyed with likely a big replacement bill!

We do not know which twitter/mid combination we are going to get. They all look similar. For car they should be redesigned as drivers conditions are different - vibrations and door volume with gaps. This is complete different environment and requirements for the driver. That is the reason why there is separation between car and home audio producers. R&d cost monies and only few companies do both (ie focal) ,and it is easier to build good sounding home speaker from caraudio driver than other way round. Look at speaker brands like brax, helix, microprecision and many others. This is what you want to have in the car. Not home audio products from kef, meridian or burmester. It is one off, a marketing tool for them.

And another problem is amplification. Class D sound much better than in the past but it is still cheapest solution. And that is reflected in sound quality.

My experience with ls50/blade is thin sounding mid range. Mid driver is too small and obstructed by twitter. But stereo image is exceptional, due to concentric drivers position. Top end can be also harsh if not used with good quality amplifier, kefs twitters do show a lot at the top, but this means other elements of the system need to be good quality, otherwise it might be harsh. I listen to new class d wireless ls50 and much prefer older ls50 with class ab amplifier

Last edited:

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
We do not know which twitter/mid combination we are going to get. They all look similar. For car they should be redesigned as drivers conditions are different - vibrations and door volume with gaps. This is complete different environment and requirements for the driver. That is the reason why there is separation between car and home audio producers. R&d cost monies and only few companies do both (ie focal) ,and it is easier to build good sounding home speaker from caraudio driver than other way round. Look at speaker brands like brax, helix, microprecision and many others. This is what you want to have in the car. Not home audio products from kef, meridian or burmester. It is one off, a marketing tool for them.

And another problem is amplification. Class D sound much better than in the past but it is still cheapest solution. And that is reflected in sound quality.

My experience with ls50/blade is thin sounding mid range. Mid driver is too small and obstructed by twitter. But stereo image is exceptional, due to concentric drivers position. Top end can be also harsh if not used with good quality amplifier, kefs twitters do show a lot at the top, but this means other elements of the system need to be good quality, otherwise it might be harsh. I listen to new class d wireless ls50 and much prefer older ls50 with class ab amplifier
How and why Lotus/KEF haven't done a Social Media piece yet on this colab and the tech behind it goodness knows.
I was expecting as a FE deposit holder to get some lovely snippets of engagement 6 months ago.
It worries me that they don't consider it worth shouting about... 😕

JimH

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
How and why Lotus/KEF haven't done a Social Media piece yet on this colab and the tech behind it goodness knows.
I was expecting as a FE deposit holder to get some lovely snippets of engagement 6 months ago.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
To be fair, you could say the same about most aspects of the car. I’ve written more on here about suspension options and dynamic performance management than Lotus has ever published.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
To be fair, you could say the same about most aspects of the car. I’ve written more on here about suspension options and dynamic performance management than Lotus has ever published.
I know. Some things are just less accessible than others.
It's terrible all around though. Zero excuses for not sharing this info with deposit holders early and then future customers

kenniGT

Reaction score
Kef is one of those companies who share a lot of technical information about theirs design. White paper they call it. Yes, it is surprising there is only general note about collaboration with lotus on kef's website.

kenniGT

Reaction score

Compare it to theirs home audio speaker design technical information. Quite amazing how many details they provide:
White paper

Evotion

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Agreed. Apsrt from an article or two it has gone all quiet.
My fear is that KEF realise it is not up to standard and the good intentions of using a UK company has backfired a bit. We will see. I am not asking for amazing audio, just very good :D

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Remember, when you get your cars, give the sound system at least 25+ hours of use before you judge the sound quality. Initially, the bass in particular will sound a bit flat and wooden, and the system overall will seem lacking in richness. The detail and clarity will be there though. As the materials stretch and break in through usage, the sound quality will gain warmth and richness.

RENDERMAN

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Remember, when you get your cars, give the sound system at least 25+ hours of use before you judge the sound quality. Initially, the bass in particular will sound a bit flat and wooden, and the system overall will seem lacking in richness. The detail and clarity will be there though. As the materials stretch and break in through usage, the sound quality will gain warmth and richness.
WWWHHHHTTTT???? since when do you break in the sound system on a car, Lotus told that? o_O just think, you buy a Bugatti Veyron...... " Sir follow these instructions before you listen to the radio"

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
WWWHHHHTTTT???? since when do you break in the sound system on a car, Lotus told that? o_O just think, you buy a Bugatti Veyron...... " Sir follow these instructions before you listen to the radio"
Lol sometimes you're so eager to post you don't pay attention to what you've posted against. I didn't say "... before you listen to the radio", I said to LISTEN to the system for at least 25+ hours for the sound quality to warm up to what it's supposed to be. KEF is a high-end audio company, and high-end audio systems have a break-in period; that's standard procedure for any high-end speaker system. Some of the reviewers have said it sounded flat and the bass wasn't very good; that's the symptom of a new high-end speaker system. They need to break-in before you get the full sound they're capable of.

RENDERMAN

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Lol sometimes you're so eager to post you don't pay attention to what you've posted against. I didn't say "... before you listen to the radio", I said to LISTEN to the system for at least 25+ hours for the sound quality to warm up to what it's supposed to be. KEF is a high-end audio company, and high-end audio systems have a break-in period; that's standard procedure for any high-end speaker system. Some of the reviewers have said it sounded flat and the bass wasn't very good; that's the symptom of a new high-end speaker system. They need to break-in before you get the full sound they're capable of.
Not going through all that, I'll just get in my friend's Elise for 5 minutes and the Emira is going to sound emazing!! :ROFLMAO:

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
You don't have to 'go through' anything. Just use the system and listen to it. The sound quality you hear when you first use it is going to improve after about 25 hours of use.

RENDERMAN

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
You don't have to 'go through' anything. Just use the system and listen to it. The sound quality you hear when you first use it is going to improve after about 25 hours of use.
cool, some of you are going to break in the sound system in on the first drive from Spain to Belgium lol

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I bought a new amp, speakers and mc cartridge for use at home. 50 hours apparently. So 25 “sounds” good to me.
25 hours is the point where I can begin to tell a difference. Beyond that I'm sure the system continues to improve, but the difference between 25 and 50 is probably less noticeable, especially in a car.