Last of the V6s - 2024 Emira 430 Cup

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I’ve mentioned it elsewhere, the GT or S version of the V6 Emira is likely to be the Final Edition before the Toyota engine fails to comply with new EU emissions regulations in 2025/26.

Lotus have hinted at this several times, including Matt Windle at Goodwood last year, and so EVO aren’t just creating a rumour.

In theory the engine may still comply in the US and other markets, but with the largest market gone, an EV sportscar needing build capacity at Hethel from 2025 and a plan to use the i4 as the power-step platform I think the V6 run will end in 2024-25.

While 430hp might not seem like a big increase, I suspect they’ll also save loads of weight and have lovely carbon seats, panels and roof. Expect a much lighter wallet too!

switchlanez

Emira Fan
Reaction score
If there will be a "Cup," it should be in very limited quantity because it wouldn't fit Emira's ethos as a mainstream grand tourer unlike past Lotuses. A more realistic send-off would be a "Sport" (not necessarily by name but by philosophy). Even at 430hp, just without a stiff, adjustable suspension (or that could be a track package option).

MY2024 means they could announce it as early as later this year to give time to build interest and collect deposits for a late 2023 delivery.

Last edited:

Hedge

Emira Fan
Reaction score
If there will be a "Cup," it should be in very limited quantity because it wouldn't fit Emira's ethos as a mainstream grand tourer unlike past Lotuses. A more realistic send-off would be a "Sport" (not necessarily by name but by philosophy). Even at 430hp, just without a stiff, adjustable suspension (or that could be a track package option).

MY2024 means they could announce it as early as later this year to give time to build interest and gather deposits for a late 2023 delivery.
One starts to wonder if they’ll release a “410” version of the V6 too.

switchlanez

Emira Fan
Reaction score
What Matt Windle said about this at last year's Goodwood:

1655194312754.png

Last edited:

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Matt said privately the first hotter version would be V6 based, building on the profile of the V6-powered GT4 race car in the 2023 season and as a final production run before the V6 is retired.

They won't boost the i4 above the V6's power while the V6 is still in production.

switchlanez

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Matt said privately the first hotter version would be V6 based, building on the profile of the V6-powered GT4 race car in the 2023 season and as a final production run before the V6 is retired.

They won't boost the i4 above the V6's power while the V6 is still in production.
Any word on if the next hotter version and final version V6es will be more track-focused or more of the same grand touring focus but with higher power and no meaningful weight savings nor hardcore track-dedicated bits?

I figured the higher potential i4 can't step on the V6's toes so it makes sense the upgraded i4 would be put on pause.

Last edited:

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score

MY2024 means they could announce it as early as later this year to give time to build interest and collect deposits for a late 2023 delivery.
It still feels like the Emira should have been launched in 'S trim' Which it almost is to be fair. It just seems to be missing that final 10%. The last car should definitely be a GT model.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Any word on if the next hotter version and final version V6es will be more track-focused or more of the same grand touring focus but with higher power and no meaningful weight savings nor hardcore track-dedicated bits?

I figured the higher potential i4 can't step on the V6es toes so it makes sense the upgraded i4 would be put on pause.
Lighter and more track-focused but still road usable - like the Evora GT430 compared to the 400

OP
MickOpalak

MickOpalak

Emira Fan
Reaction score
If I had to try to predict the future, I would guess the 2023 models will all be FEs. Mostly V6s but a few I4s will trickle in too. The 2024 model year will see the base I4, the base V6, and the 430 Cup which will be the last of the V6s and have a lot of GT4 goodies. Model year 2025 will see the base I4 at 400hp and the R model at 450hp. A year or two later we may see a 500hp or 525hp I4 version.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
It's going to be interesting to see what happens once driving demos are available at dealers, and the general public sees these out on the roads. Will the non-enthusiast public want the V6 or the i4? Will price be the determining factor or sound? A base V6 with manual is going to be a pretty nice machine.

Lots_Of_Trouble

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I’ve mentioned it elsewhere, the GT or S version of the V6 Emira is likely to be the Final Edition before the Toyota engine fails to comply with new EU emissions regulations in 2025/26.

Lotus have hinted at this several times, including Matt Windle at Goodwood last year, and so EVO aren’t just creating a rumour.

In theory the engine may still comply in the US and other markets, but with the largest market gone, an EV sportscar needing build capacity at Hethel from 2025 and a plan to use the i4 as the power-step platform I think the V6 run will end in 2024-25.

While 430hp might not seem like a big increase, I suspect they’ll also save loads of weight and have lovely carbon seats, panels and roof. Expect a much lighter wallet too!
Let's hope the FE holds value then as I'll be trading up for one of these!

switchlanez

Emira Fan
Reaction score
It's going to be interesting to see what happens once driving demos are available at dealers, and the general public sees these out on the roads. Will the non-enthusiast public want the V6 or the i4? Will price be the determining factor or sound? A base V6 with manual is going to be a pretty nice machine.
If Lotus markets the i4 correctly and makes it tuner-friendly, they could have a hit with the tuner/YouTube mod vlogging crowd. The barrier it needs to overcome is not being Japanese nor American which are culturally more accessible. But its high tuning potential and junior supercar styling for the price can overcome that.

The V6 is tuner and cost prohibitive and will appeal to people who prefer factory configuration (myself included but I've lived both sides). But like how the EcoBoost Mustang destroyed the V6 in sales or 2.0T Genesis Coupe made the upscale V6 irrelevant (both driven by marketing and tuner-friendliness), Lotus needs to be proactive with a post-V6 vision to ensure the i4's longer term success.

OP
MickOpalak

MickOpalak

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I doubt Lotus is even considering the "tunability" of the I4. The tuner crowd in the Lotus community is very, very tiny. Its not worth extra marketing or development for a handful of extra sales it might generate.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I really don't see Lotus putting a whole lot more money into the Emira other than what's already been allocated. They're already all-in for electric, so I would expect that to be where their R&D money is going to go.

nosirrahx

Reaction score
I really don't see Lotus putting a whole lot more money into the Emira other than what's already been allocated. They're already all-in for electric, so I would expect that to be where their R&D money is going to go.
I'd like to see them stick with Toyota and make an Emira hybrid using Toyota's inline 3 as the ICE part.

EV is inevitable but its just not the same without the noise. I'm willing to make compromises to have my sports car sound like a sports car.

switchlanez

Emira Fan
Reaction score
My point is 2024-2028 or 2030 for the i4 won't be throwaway years compared to the V6's 2023-2025 and Lotus has an opportunity to strategize with the Emira model specifically. It's a mass-produced car after all--moreso than any Lotus in history, not niche like the Evija and not some set and forget car. Lotus can and likely intends to execute on it profitably (moreso than the V6) in parallel with the greater focus on EVs.

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
If Lotus markets the i4 correctly and makes it tuner-friendly, they could have a hit with the tuner/YouTube mod vlogging crowd. The barrier it needs to overcome is not being Japanese nor American which are culturally more accessible. But its high tuning potential and junior supercar styling for the price can overcome that.

The V6 is tuner and cost prohibitive and will appeal to people who prefer factory configuration (myself included but I've lived both sides). But like how the EcoBoost Mustang destroyed the V6 in sales or 2.0T Genesis Coupe made the upscale V6 irrelevant (both driven by marketing and tuner-friendliness), Lotus needs to be proactive with a post-V6 vision to ensure the i4's longer term success.

In your opinion do you see a lot of potential for tuners with a 100K USD car? I thought the tuners cars were less expensive like STI, BRZ, etc.

switchlanez

Emira Fan
Reaction score
In your opinion do you see a lot of potential for tuners with a 100K USD car? I thought the tuners cars were less expensive like STI, BRZ, etc.
V6 is the $100k car. i4 isn't. That's the key distinction I'm trying to make in all this. But I was thinking Huracan, GT-R, Supra, C8 Corvette, BMW M, even some of the Porsche crowd and the i4 lands toward the lower end of that spectrum. Premium buyers like customizing or going faster than stock as much as any entry level buyer.

Millennials just eclipsed Baby Boomers in population and are coming of age and wealth into that market segment. We grew up driving the Civics and other tuner cars from 20 years ago and are aging into something else.

switchlanez

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I doubt Lotus is even considering the "tunability" of the I4. The tuner crowd in the Lotus community is very, very tiny. Its not worth extra marketing or development for a handful of extra sales it might generate.
I wouldn't discount the tuning crowd when the Fast & Furious franchise pierced the mainstream and is still kicking strong into its 10th iteration. Unlike the first 3 films, almost none of the cars are entry level anymore which is reflected back in real world culture. It helped spur a resurgence of mass market performance cars that sell in the 10s to 100s of thousands per year (Mustang and Corvette) and a 15+ year long horsepower war. Marketing and design committees bend to the appeal of tuners such as with a king seller C8 Corvette marketed with a queen of modding in the Z06 announcement special:
1655322774253.png

And Emelia is the star in eBay Motors's Top Gear-esque first episode of a new series (over a million views in a few days).
1655322791176.png

And then Top Gear hired another tuner vlogger Becky Evans to host a new series on their official channel:
1655322807176.png

The more conservative and sensible Goodwood also hired Becky to host a series:
1655322819450.png

What took me by surprise is Goodwood thought racing games (where a notoriously core tenet is tuning and customization) is worthwhile enough for a series of pieces. Goodwood keeps with the times faster than I can realize they're changing:
1655322833795.png

This culture is relevant enough for big industry players to take notice and action. I agree Lotus isn't big with the tuning crowd because Lotus isn't big, period. My point is when they execute their clearly communicated intent to scale up, that's precisely their opportunity to pivot and pounce onto this potential.

Last edited: