• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: šŸ† May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Jethro addresses 'the review'

Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere. Just catching up with my EVO reading and saw Jethro addresses the claims of Porsche bias and corruption!
I think he just called YOU šŸ‘Š a nutter
šŸ˜…
20220703_102908.jpg
20220703_102847.jpg
20220703_102854.jpg

Last edited:

Green

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Looks like someone had their feeling hurt:cry: Sorry people do not just take his review as gospel. What makes his review more valid than the positive reviews? He seems like a wanker and the fact he had to write a reply seems to confirm it.

EM33RA

Emira Fan
Reaction score
We live in a world where everyone can share their opinion. Its great Jethro is not taking everything for grantedā€¦and hope Lotuse will look at it and improve the product further.
Absolutely concur mate, well said. Constructive criticism must be embraced rather than discouraged for improvement. You learn more by listing per say. The car is clearly delayed as itā€™s simply not ready, who knows what Lotus is doing behind closed doors. Whilst I want my car, Iā€™d rather wait for the best car they can build. Because clearly there are some short comings currently.

Honeywell

Reaction score
Jethro earns his living in part from the largesse of the VAG/Porsche industry behemoth.

He did a shit review on a non Cup2 Emira on a track against a GT4 Porsche.

It was an embarrassment and the Chris Harris review on the same track was rather different and Jethro is now trying to defend himself and his reputation which he has damaged.

Harris, Harry don't need the Porsche shilling or the advertising Editors good books. Evo and Jethro do.

OP
Leonard

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
The correct Emira to compare with a Cayman GT4 is the Emira GT4.

Jethro took a pear and compared it to an apple. And got called out for doing so.
He wasn't doing a direct comparison though and did say as much. All of the 'negative' comments he made were predominantly made in isolation and would apply as much to the GTS as the GT4.

Green

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I think his review was fair and his response - whilst obviously having a bit of fun at others expense - was also fair.

I think the comments against Jethro being biased were unfairā€¦ I find Ad hominem attacks a bit childish
Are you saying his attack on Lotus fans being lunatics is childish?

Mctaff

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Are you saying his attack on Lotus fans being lunatics is childish?

No, he was - to me at least - obviously being humorous, and trying to make light of some personal attacks, which i would imagine rightly made him feel unhappy and unfairly targeted for doing his job

Honeywell

Reaction score
No, he was - to me at least - obviously being humorous, and trying to make light of some personal attacks, which i would imagine rightly made him feel unhappy and unfairly targeted for doing his job
His job is a journalist and as such open to critiques.

He is employed by EVO who take millions in advertising spend from VAG and thousands in advertising spend from Lotus.

He chose to review a track focussed GT4 Porsche on a wet tight circuit against a road Emira on road tyres. He did not have to do that. He *could* have reviewed that car on the Evo triangle nearby. Its natural habitat. Where it would have spanked the track focussed Porsche GT4 with its ridiculously long gearing and uncompliant chassis.

Jethro is bang to rights wrong and he knows it and he's getting defensive about it.

Nick in Sydney

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
It was an embarrassment and the Chris Harris review on the same track was rather different

Yes, in that it wasn't a review at all. Top Gear's entire "review" last for a bit more than 7 minutes and mostly consisted of Chris sliding the car around a wet rainy track and giggling. Yes, it was good "Top Gear entertainment", and yes he said positive things, but you could hardly call it a proper review of the Emira.

Mctaff

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
His job is a journalist and as such open to critiques.

He is employed by EVO who take millions in advertising spend from VAG and thousands in advertising spend from Lotus.

He chose to review a track focussed GT4 Porsche on a wet tight circuit against a road Emira on road tyres. He did not have to do that. He *could* have reviewed that car on the Evo triangle nearby. Its natural habitat. Where it would have spanked the track focussed Porsche GT4 with its ridiculously long gearing and uncompliant chassis.

Jethro is bang to rights wrong and he knows it and he's getting defensive about it.

Whilst I agree the GT4 bit was silly, and thereā€™s no arguing against the VAG budget, I think this analysis is flawed for 2 reasons

1. Evo regularly post relatively unfavourable reviews of VAG products, amitedly perhaps more favourable to Porsche than Audi or the others

2. Why arenā€™t all other car magazines similarly impacted by the suggested advertising budget induced bias, given VAG advertise across all the one Iā€™ve seen?

Honeywell

Reaction score
Whilst I agree the GT4 bit was silly, and thereā€™s no arguing against the VAG budget, I think this analysis is flawed for 2 reasons

1. Evo regularly post relatively unfavourable reviews of VAG products, amitedly perhaps more favourable to Porsche than Audi or the others

2. Why arenā€™t all other car magazines similarly impacted by the suggested advertising budget induced bias, given VAG advertise across all the one Iā€™ve seen?
1. No they don't. They always with the key sellers or halo cars favor the VAG product.

2. Magazines are all the same. They exist on advertising spend. Harry doesn't and Harris doesn't and the BBC doesn't and therein you find a differing view.

Porsche owns motoring reviews. They allow the occasional dissent.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I told you some guy had called Lotus a cult :)

It sounds like he doesnā€™t like his employer being called out on an underhand approach to carrying out a comparative track test. What they did is a matter of fact. Publishing the review without giving that context was unfair.

I look forward to reading the review of the right car, which would have been a better article to publish.