Japan - Emira Ownership (エミーラ納車とその後)

OP
virtualmacho

virtualmacho

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Need to do something about the shift knob.
他にも出血箇所あり。
1000006076.jpg

OP
virtualmacho

virtualmacho

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Dude!! Is that from the area where the shift pattern letters are etched out?
Yes, I knew it was a bit rough and needed sanding but was too busy driving the car ;). No worries, I'm not bleeding to death or anything.

Little bit of sandpaper and 5 minutes of your time will fix this.
Yup. I just need to find that stack of sandpaper I had somewhere in the closet. I could use the back side of an old leather belt... Anyways, something to do tonight after work!

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Yes, I knew it was a bit rough and needed sanding but was too busy driving the car ;). No worries, I'm not bleeding to death or anything.

Yup. I just need to find that stack of sandpaper I had somewhere in the closet. I could use the back side of an old leather belt... Anyways, something to do tonight after work!
Get some 400 grit wet and dry, and wet sand the edges. That'll smooth them down without leaving any sanding marks.

OP
virtualmacho

virtualmacho

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Need to do something about the shift knob.
他にも出血箇所あり。
I was able to fix it this morning. The gear knob is screwed on to the lever, and a grub screw prevents it from loosening. The following is an excerpt from the Service Notes and an actual picture of the knob.
ギヤノブの取り外しは簡単です。ノブはギヤレバーにねじ込んであり、回り止めにイモネジが1本入っているだけです。サービスマニュアルの該当部分と実際の写真を添付します。
GearKnobRemoval.jpg
PXL_20231129_221818108.jpg

Removal of the knob is a simple 10 second job with the right size allen wrench. Make sure you don't lose the spring and seal (in my case, the black O-ring stayed inside the knob).
イモネジは緩めるだけで完全に抜く必要ありません。中のバネとOリングを無くさないように注意。
PXL_20231129_221930698.jpg

Wipe off the blood, and mask the rest of the knob to prevent any unintentional damage. Mask both holes to prevent water from getting in. I had some #600 sandpaper handy, so used that under the bathroom faucet.
血液はキレイに拭き取ってから周りをマスキングします。水研ぎする際に水が入らないようにレバーの穴とイモネジ部分もマスキングしておきましょう。参考までに、手元にあった600番の耐水ペーパーを使いました。バリの大きさにもよりますが、1000番でもいけたと思います。
PXL_20231129_222412576.jpg

In my case, the triangle inside the "4" and the finger-like shape pointing into the "6" were the most damaging sections. A few seconds of wet sanding and it's now at an acceptable level. Note the discoloration of the sanded section. I don't think the knob has been painted or anodized - sanding will remove the thin layer of oxydation, but it should grow back in a few days.
私の場合は「4」の中の三角形と「6」に入り込んでいる鋭角な部分を削ることで手の平への攻撃性はだいぶ弱まりました。むき出しのアルミなようで、研磨することで部分的に酸化被膜がとれてビミョーに色が変わっているように見えますがしばらくすれが分からなくなるでしょう。
PXL_20231129_223025511.jpg

Last edited:

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
At least the bottom areas of the numbers are finished. I've seen some put black paint in the long line, and red in the R which looks pretty good. I'm thinking I'll do something like that with mine, or maybe even get a custom wooden or leather shift knob made. Glad it's easy to remove and replace.

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I was able to fix it this morning. The gear knob is screwed on to the lever, and a grub screw prevents it from loosening. The following is an excerpt from the Service Notes and an actual picture of the knob.
ギヤノブの取り外しは簡単です。ノブはギヤレバーにねじ込んであり、回り止めにイモネジが1本入っているだけです。サービスマニュアルの該当部分と実際の写真を添付します。
View attachment 33872 View attachment 33873

Removal of the knob is a simple 10 second job with the right size allen wrench. Make sure you don't lose the spring and seal (in my case, the black O-ring stayed inside the knob).
イモネジは緩めるだけで完全に抜く必要ありません。中のバネとOリングを無くさないように注意。
View attachment 33874

Wipe off the blood, and mask the rest of the knob to prevent any unintentional damage. Mask both holes to prevent water from getting in. I had some #600 sandpaper handy, so used that under the bathroom fawcet.
血液はキレイに拭き取ってから周りをマスキングします。水研ぎする際に水が入らないようにレバーの穴とイモネジ部分もマスキングしておきましょう。参考までに、手元にあった600番の耐水ペーパーを使いました。バリの大きさにもよりますが、1000番でもいけたと思います。
View attachment 33875

In my case, the triangle inside the "4" and the finger-like shape pointing into the "6" were the most damaging sections. A few seconds of wet sanding and it's now at an acceptable level. Note the discoloration of the sanded section. I don't think the knob has been painted or anodized - sanding will remove the thin layer of oxydation, but it should grow back in a few days.
私の場合は「4」の中の三角形と「6」に入り込んでいる鋭角な部分を削ることで手の平への攻撃性はだいぶ弱まりました。むき出しのアルミなようで、研磨することで部分的に酸化被膜がとれてビミョーに色が変わっているように見えますがしばらくすれが分からなくなるでしょう。
View attachment 33876
Seems like it would be easier to just lightly chamfer the cut edges with a deburring reamer pen. The smallest blade in this set should do the trick, just work it circularly in each number void until the sharp edges shave off enough to no longer cut your hand.

Deburring Reamer Pen set (Amazon)

Last edited:
OP
virtualmacho

virtualmacho

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Seems like it would be easier to just lightly chamfer the cut edges with a deburring reamer pen. The smallest blade in this set should do the trick, just work it circularly in each number void until the sharp edges shave off enough to no longer cut your hand.
Yes, definitely a better choice for the mission if you had the tools already. I just used what I had handy.
(BTW, the link points to a DC-DC converter on Amazon)

ino

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Long time no see you guys here.
I went only <400km so far.

Anybody here will attend 代官山T-site Morning Cruise on 24/Dec.? Hope you guys enjoy there! (Maybe I cannot go)

Attachments

• IMG_4758.jpeg
    IMG_4758.jpeg
    160.4 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_4757.jpeg
    IMG_4757.jpeg
    242.7 KB · Views: 45
OP
virtualmacho

virtualmacho

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Last edited:

Tokion

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Anybody here will attend 代官山T-site Morning Cruise on 24/Dec.? Hope you guys enjoy there! (Maybe I cannot go)

I was also told about this by someone else, and I am considering to go if my application for participation (from now) will be accepted. Unfortunately my Emira continues to be pushed out, so I will have to go there in my lousy Alpina B3 Bi-Turbo Touring. At least it can carry multiple passengers and a decent amount of cargo.

Hope to meet you some time (maybe after my i4 FE arrives).

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Yes, definitely a better choice for the mission if you had the tools already. I just used what I had handy.
(BTW, the link points to a DC-DC converter on Amazon)
Should be fixed now. The forum did something very weird with the link.

It was this item:

AFA Tooling extendable neck deburring tool $11.99
1000028163.png

1000028164.png

You would need a kit like this one that includes a very small blade, most are 2.5mm+ but the Emira knob engraving relief would need about a 1.5mm tip. This specific one does.

I'm sure something very similar exists on Amazon Japan if this particular item is not available. Japan has some excellent specialty tool manufacturers.

OP
virtualmacho

virtualmacho

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Order made key cases arrived last night. The photos show my keys in the cases with a yellow LOTUS lanyard and small leather strap I had lying around (not included). The key cases are 7,700 JPY each, and an extra 800 JPY each will get you a round cut-out on the back side to show the LOTUS logo. Not exactly cheap, but you can select the leather, stiching, and hardware colors. There is even an option to use different color leather on the front and back sides. Not sure if they ship overseas... Please note; you will have to lend them your spare key to work with as they don't have any EMIRA keys lying around their shop. Perhaps if someone can replicate the EMIRA key with some hard resin or metal for them, that would be great.

231206-KeyCase02.jpg231206-KeyCase01.jpg

発注していた革のキーケースが届き、なかなかいい感じです。写真は手元に転がっていた首掛け紐や短いストラップなどを取り付けた状態のものです。ベースは各7,700円で、各800円でロータスのロゴを見せるための穴あけも依頼しました。革・ステッチ・金具の色が選択でき、有料オプションで表と裏で異なる色の革を使うことも可能です。興味のある方は「伊の蔵・レザー」さんにお問い合わせください。一週間程度の製作にはスペアキーの貸与 (レターパック等で元払発送) が必要なのが難点ですが、どなたかレジンかメタルで複製したものを作れないですかね。

Inokura Leather (伊の蔵・レザー) ==> https://inokura.jp/

Last edited:

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Order made key cases arrived last night. The photos show my keys in the cases with a yellow LOTUS lanyard and small leather strap I had lying around (not included). The key cases are 7,700 JPY each, and an extra 800 JPY each will get you a round cut-out on the back side to show the LOTUS logo. Not exactly cheap, but you can select the leather, stich, and hardware colors. There is even an option to use different color leather on the front and back sides. Not sure if they ship overseas... Please note; you will have to lend them your spare key to work with as they don't have any EMIRA keys lying around their shop. Perhaps if someone can replicate the EMIRA key with some hard resin or metal for them, that would be great.

View attachment 34105View attachment 34106

発注していた革のキーケースが届き、なかなかいい感じです。写真は手元に転がっていた首掛け紐や短いストラップなどを取り付けた状態のものです。ベースは各7,700円で、各800円でロータスのロゴを見せるための穴あけも依頼しました。革・ステッチ・金具の色が選択でき、有料オプションで表と裏で異なる色の革を使うことも可能です。興味のある方は「伊の蔵・レザー」さんにお問い合わせください。一週間程度の製作にはスペアキーの貸与 (レターパック等で元払発送) が必要なのが難点ですが、どなたかレジンかメタルで複製したものを作れないですかね。

Inokura Leather (伊の蔵・レザー) ==> https://inokura.jp/
I like both styles. Those look really nice.

OP
virtualmacho

virtualmacho

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Just got a Low Tire Pressure warning on a system without TPM !
こりゃびっくり!w

PXL_20231221_145520321.RAW-01.COVER.jpg