It Finally Arrived down-under

BarryH

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
After the obligatory 2+ years wait, it has arrived, been PPF'd and taken up residence in the garage!

One question, how do you do a hill start in reverse? (the Garage is lower than the street). It appears that the hill start hold, only works going forward (ie 1st gear), and hence I keep rolling forward as soon as I take my foot off the break (the wall of the house gets disturbingly close). Given this must be a common scenario I'll put it down to "Faulty End-User Error" so for those who currently have a car if you can shed some light I'd appreciate it.

As an aside, it unfortunately appears that LOTUS HQ has made some decisions (post test drive & even after taking the order) that impact those of us outside of the UK, European, and North American Markets, but as this is still under discussion will leave that for another future thread.

Attachments

• CarExternal.jpeg
    CarExternal.jpeg
    338.7 KB · Views: 119
  • CarInternal.jpeg
    CarInternal.jpeg
    150.3 KB · Views: 109

dgrace

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Why not back in to the garage?

OP
BarryH

BarryH

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Why not back in to the garage?
Unfortunately the drive way is centered between the garage doors and tapers inwards from the edge of the garage doors to the road, with 50cm high hedges on both sides. Also the mirrors only miss the brickwork by about 10-15cm on both sides I'm not sure I trust my reversing around the curve in the hedge and subsequent Eye-of-the-needle reverse into the garage :)

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
You could just use a heel and toe technique. Toe on the brake, roll your foot to the right slightly to give it some gas as you start to let out the clutch. As the clutch engages, roll/slide your foot all the way to the right, lifting your toe off the brake. Might take a few times to get the timing right, but it should work just fine.

ADC

Just Jazzed About Being On The Show
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Put a rubber parking block down in front of a front wheel so the car can't roll forward.
Yeah, agreed... in this situation, I'd just chock the front wheels.

Whitey

Reaction score
Hill hold assist should work in either reverse gear or first gear - it works fine on mine as I have to reverse up our drive into the garage up hill, which is quite steep. If your drive is steep enough for the hill hold assist to work in 1st gear then it should also work in reverse. Looks like a trip to dealer at some point.

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Use electronic parking brake until engine torque engages to hold the car as you reverse?

Kimmax

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Use electronic parking brake until engine torque engages to hold the car as you reverse?
It'll also disengage automatically at the right moment. This is the easiest solution imo

kb21

Reaction score
After the obligatory 2+ years wait, it has arrived, been PPF'd and taken up residence in the garage!

One question, how do you do a hill start in reverse? (the Garage is lower than the street). It appears that the hill start hold, only works going forward (ie 1st gear), and hence I keep rolling forward as soon as I take my foot off the break (the wall of the house gets disturbingly close). Given this must be a common scenario I'll put it down to "Faulty End-User Error" so for those who currently have a car if you can shed some light I'd appreciate it.

As an aside, it unfortunately appears that LOTUS HQ has made some decisions (post test drive & even after taking the order) that impact those of us outside of the UK, European, and North American Markets, but as this is still under discussion will leave that for another future thread.

That is a great colour spec! Congrats. Perth potential customer here.

How do you find the shifter? notchy? long-throw/short-throw? and clutch (light/heavy)?

ak3888

Reaction score
Hi Barry, where did you get it PPF'd? Happy with how it turned out? And if you don't mind sharing how much it cost? Cheers.

OP
BarryH

BarryH

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
That is a great colour spec! Congrats. Perth potential customer here.

How do you find the shifter? notchy? long-throw/short-throw? and clutch (light/heavy)?
I'm coming from a manual TT so it is definitely more notchy than that, but something I'll get used to. It feels more stiff than the various Emiras I've driven so far (test drives, driving academy), but I would put this down to the running in period. If you like driving "stick" it is rewarding as you have to actively change gears. I suspect the more I drive it, the more fluid it will become.

Overall the gear shift is higher than I am used to and slightly longer throw, but good fun so far :) It is heavier than the Audi, but I suspect that is also a factor of familiarity

OP
BarryH

BarryH

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Hi Barry, where did you get it PPF'd? Happy with how it turned out? And if you don't mind sharing how much it cost? Cheers.
I had the whole car PPF'd pre-delivery and it was organised by SSC. The firm that did it was "ProtectMyCar" and they were happy to show me around their workshop in Sydney and go over the film they use. Overall ( and take into account this is the first car I have had PPF'd) they seem to have done a good job with it being very hard to see any of the seams for the film.