• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Is there a future for car enthusiasts? Speed Limiters in New York City

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
This was discussed in some very old threads on this forum. However, I don't really remember this being talked about for the USA, only Europe. Maybe California. First EVs and now this. When I saw this the wind just got knocked out of me. However, maybe one bright spot in the article, for some of the nanny systems they are only targeting vehicles over 3000lbs. That's the first time I have heard of a weight limit.

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
This was discussed in some very old threads on this forum. However, I don't really remember this being talked about for the USA, only Europe. Maybe California. First EVs and now this. When I saw this the wind just got knocked out of me. However, maybe one bright spot in the article, for some of the nanny systems they are only targeting vehicles over 3000lbs. That's the first time I have heard of a weight limit.

The proverbial `faster than a New York minute' gets taken down a peg.

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

New York doesn't have the jurisdiction to regulate this. Vehicle safety standards are Federal. Also the lead time is totally untenable. The state of NY would lose in court almost immediately if they tried to put this into law.

OP
Pegasi

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
New York doesn't have the jurisdiction to regulate this. Vehicle safety standards are Federal. Also the lead time is totally untenable. The state of NY would lose in court almost immediately if they tried to put this into law.

Two things. Do you think New York has the jurisdiction to implement this on their own municipal fleet as the article states? (A rhetorical question unless you have that knowledge.)

The other thing is about jurisdiction. Not to inject politics but a legal and political argument of the NRA has always been the slippery slope doctrine (you can google this). It essentially says concede no new gun regulations because once you do, it's on a slippery slope and more regulations are sure to come.

My fear is that it has now started in the USA. You have to first start to challenge jurisdiction and the argument is always this will be safer. I don't even want them starting this because if they can get one law changed it will be a slippery slope and will all be riding shotgun with Elon Musk. No offense to Tesla owners!

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Two things. Do you think New York has the jurisdiction to implement this on their own municipal fleet as the article states? (A rhetorical question unless you have that knowledge.)

The other thing is about jurisdiction. Not to inject politics but a legal and political argument of the NRA has always been the slippery slope doctrine (you can google this). It essentially says concede no new gun regulations because once you do, it's on a slippery slope and more regulations are sure to come.

My fear is that it has now started in the USA. You have to first start to challenge jurisdiction and the argument is always this will be safer. I don't even want them starting this because if they can get one law changed it will be a slippery slope and will all be riding shotgun with Elon Musk. No offense to Tesla owners!
They can do anything they want with their municipal fleet. They don't need a law for that, it's purely a matter of city policy.

The legislation that the article references isn't about NYC's municipal fleet, it's about passenger vehicles sold in the state of NY generally. Which is what I said wouldn't fly legally, they can't just unilaterally change standards that are set federally. The last state to try was California with the emissions thing, and the Feds took over the emissions regulation using CA standards as the baseline moving forward to try to resolve the problem, while also making it clear to the states (CA included) that further gaming of the regulatory system to rig the marketplace would not be tolerated.

OP
Pegasi

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
They can do anything they want with their municipal fleet. They don't need a law for that, it's purely a matter of city policy.

The legislation that the article references isn't about NYC's municipal fleet, it's about passenger vehicles sold in the state of NY generally. Which is what I said wouldn't fly legally, they can't just unilaterally change standards that are set federally. The last state to try was California with the emissions thing, and the Feds took over the emissions regulation using CA standards as the baseline moving forward to try to resolve the problem, while also making it clear to the states (CA included) that further gaming of the regulatory system to rig the marketplace would not be tolerated.

My only comment is that with emissions there is no "victim." I have seen numerous articles about how jurisdictions are trying to crack down on speeding. If a fast car kills someone, you now have a victim. I know the legal structure isn't as such that New York can add the limiters but if they start connecting accidents with speed and these limiters are a potential solution, that could potentially get vote changing attention. A lot of people are gonna be driving fast EVs in about 10 years.