Future of the Emira

Speedy Emira

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I know this subject has been covered a lot and it is getting a bit boring but today I had an interesting conversation.
Let’s start by saying please don’t ask who said this because I don’t want to get the person in trouble. So a person who works on behalf of Lotus told me this morning that he was informed that the V6 will definitely stop production once the i4 is in full production and they have sorted any issues. At this point the production areas will be fully dedicated to i4s.
The second bit of information is the main reason for the i4 delay has been the many changes to deal with overheated which is now supposed to be sorted out. We knew this was an issue but maybe not to the extent that it is probably responsible for most of the delays. No doubt the rumour of lowering the Chinese models from 400hp to 360hp makes more sense.
So will this happens and if so will it be this year, maybe even by late Summer?
The other this I was told is they want to build 4500 Emiras a year but it will probably be less than half that amount.

Could all be working but that’s what I was told by a manager with a Lotus jacket. 🤷🏽‍♂️

OP
Speedy Emira

Speedy Emira

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
well thats disappointing to hear cuz I was hoping for an Emira GT / R with the V6. if it has the i4 im not interested at all
I’m sure even if they only continue with the i4 there will be a way to further improve cooling and get extra power to have an R or S model. I guess they need to comply with ever stricter emission regs and the i4 engine would benefit from any such changes made by Mercedes for as long as they use it without hefty R&D costs.

EZcheezy

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I’m sure even if they only continue with the i4 there will be a way to further improve cooling and get extra power to have an R or S model. I guess they need to comply with ever stricter emission regs and the i4 engine would benefit from any such changes made by Mercedes for as long as they use it without hefty R&D costs.
oh yeah i have no doubt they can make it more powerful. i just have no interest in an auto turbo 4 cylinder

ESPREE

Reaction score
Lotus has made some questionable decisions in the past, but they are really fools if they haven’t noticed that a lot (or even most) of the attention that the Emira is getting is due to its being available with a manual gearbox and a supremely analog driving experience.

My daily driver is faster than the Emira, but what the Emira offers is driving feel. At least for me - a huge part of that is the manual gearbox.

If they want to bump it up to a V8 then I’m all in. But keep the clutch!

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
I copied this over from another similar thread. Here are the engines that an Emira engine mount bolt part number LFAAM08035CA is listed as being compatible with:

2GR-FE 411HP - 3.5L V6 SC/IC 411HP <-- Emira S?
2GR-FE 400HP - 3.5L V6 SC/IC 400HP <-- Emira FE V6
JLH-4G20TDF-MP - VEP4 MP GEN2 400HP <-- Chinese I4
JLH-4G20TDF - VEP4 HP GEN2 360HP <-- ROW I4
JLH-4G20TDF-HP- VEP4 HP GEN2 416HP <-- Emira R?

There may be hope for a hotter V6 in the works.

OP
Speedy Emira

Speedy Emira

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I copied this over from another similar thread. Here are the engines that an Emira engine mount bolt part number LFAAM08035CA is listed as being compatible with:

2GR-FE 411HP - 3.5L V6 SC/IC 411HP <-- Emira S?
2GR-FE 400HP - 3.5L V6 SC/IC 400HP <-- Emira FE V6
JLH-4G20TDF-MP - VEP4 MP GEN2 400HP <-- Chinese I4
JLH-4G20TDF - VEP4 HP GEN2 360HP <-- ROW I4
JLH-4G20TDF-HP- VEP4 HP GEN2 416HP <-- Emira R?

There may be hope for a hotter V6 in the works.
I hope there is but to be honest I doubt it. On one of the previous threads I questioned why they hadn’t used a more modern engine V6 by Toyota. Someone pointed out if Lotus had wanted to spend the money making a different V6 drivetrain they would have done it in the beginning. That made a lot of sense to me.

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
I hope there is but to be honest I doubt it. On one of the previous threads I questioned why they hadn’t used a more modern engine V6 by Toyota. Someone pointed out if Lotus had wanted to spend the money making a different V6 drivetrain they would have done it in the beginning. That made a lot of sense to me.
Well, nothing is stopping them from just getting more power out of the current engine. They have done it in the past.

Deeznuss

Reaction score
I know this subject has been covered a lot and it is getting a bit boring but today I had an interesting conversation.
Let’s start by saying please don’t ask who said this because I don’t want to get the person in trouble. So a person who works on behalf of Lotus told me this morning that he was informed that the V6 will definitely stop production once the i4 is in full production and they have sorted any issues. At this point the production areas will be fully dedicated to i4s.
The second bit of information is the main reason for the i4 delay has been the many changes to deal with overheated which is now supposed to be sorted out. We knew this was an issue but maybe not to the extent that it is probably responsible for most of the delays. No doubt the rumour of lowering the Chinese models from 400hp to 360hp makes more sense.
So will this happens and if so will it be this year, maybe even by late Summer?
The other this I was told is they want to build 4500 Emiras a year but it will probably be less than half that amount.

Could all be working but that’s what I was told by a manager with a Lotus jacket. 🤷🏽‍♂️
As a V6 manual deposit holder I hope the Toyota powered Emira sticks around (see what I did there) but suppose you’re right: Old tech as a placeholder while i4 heating issues are sorted, manual transmission for the enthusiasts and journalists to generate a buzz about the new model, soon replaced by a Daimler product which Geely has a 9% ownership making the car more accessible to a wider global audience due to its automatic transmission and lower emissions. Makes sense.

Nick in Sydney

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Do you mean because of capacity constraints or because of limited demand? AFAIK, they are already manufacturing ~4,500 a year.