Is it idiotic to get a Lotus if a Lotus dealership is 400 miles away?

luciddaydream

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Hi there
I live in a a major metropolitan area.
But the nearest real lotus dealership is 400 miles away.
Is it insane to buy an Emira?

I feel I could find people to work on it.. just not the official Lotus dealership.
Thanks a lot.

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Unless you're planning on ignoring that warranty, I wouldn't. I'd imagine any sort of work under warranty would likely have to be done by a certified dealer.

Cachaco131

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
Maybe get a truck and a trailer. Might offset tow truck costs for 400mi.

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Hi there
I live in a a major metropolitan area.
But the nearest real lotus dealership is 400 miles away.
Is it insane to buy an Emira?

I feel I could find people to work on it.. just not the official Lotus dealership.
Thanks a lot.
What major metro? I'm in the DC area and there was no dealer within a 5 hour drive when I placed my deposit. Now they've finally built one about 30min away.

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
I was okay with 265 miles. I don't know about 400…

KCMO68_510

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I'm 200 miles from my closest dealership. It is a bit of a concern.

KCMO68_510

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Ha. And you have one on order?
Yep. Not my daily driver. I figure if the car is completely unable to be driven that hopefully is more rare, and that most of the fixes are things I can schedule and still drive in for.

I'm basically just east of Kansas City, and the closest dealer is in St. Louis. Maybe if I'm lucky Mahomes can bring a dealership to KC.

EyeFour Eemeerah!

Emira Fan
Reaction score
All driven. At least my dealer is only 30 miles away rather than 400 miles. But still, it’s a major inconvenience.
Good point that if it were 400 miles, that’s 800 RT, which equals 4800 miles…for warranty work. Not to mention if you’re “waiting” for your car or want to leave it?? Now get a hotel for a night or two. Oh, and let the job know you need to take. a couple of personal days.

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Honestly, it's not a deal breaker to have your dealer that far away. But it does mean that you can't be helpless when it comes to basic maintenance of the vehicle. You also need to have a garage or a place to do routine maintenance and to store the car if it's disabled for some reason, because the chance of the car being off the road for longer goes up when you don't have local support.

As far as warranty work, it just means that when you do take the car to the dealer, they'll be doing more things at once and will need to be given clear expectations about how they need to manage both your vehicle and the communication with you since you are non-local.

robrmon

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
In my opinion, having owned a warranty covered evora from new, it’s highly likely (almost certainly) in the first year there will be issues that come up, either software updates or cosmetic items... I joke, but the only reason I’m comfortable getting this car right now is because I’ll have a “spare” lotus.

If it was me, and the dealer was that far away, I’d buy the car used, 12 months old and let someone else deal with the first issues.

After the first 12 months, you can be more self sufficient as by then my car only goes in for servicing, which can be done anywhere, and if it’s something more serious, lotus have in the past paid for the flatbed under warranty.

Good luck with whatever you decide

KCMO68_510

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Good point that if it were 400 miles, that’s 800 RT, which equals 4800 miles…for warranty work. Not to mention if you’re “waiting” for your car or want to leave it?? Now get a hotel for a night or two. Oh, and let the job know you need to take. a couple of personal days.
The mileage is a fair point. As for the rest of the issues, I'd probably drive it in, fly home. Airfare between the two cities is about the same price as a hotel for the night. Just fly back in when it's ready to be picked up. Also I've worked remote for about 6 years now, so I can work from anywhere.

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Honestly, it's not a deal breaker to have your dealer that far away. But it does mean that you can't be helpless when it comes to basic maintenance of the vehicle. You also need to have a garage or a place to do routine maintenance and to store the car if it's disabled for some reason, because the chance of the car being off the road for longer goes up when you don't have local support.

As far as warranty work, it just means that when you do take the car to the dealer, they'll be doing more things at once and will need to be given clear expectations about how they need to manage both your vehicle and the communication with you since you are non-local.
Let me revise my own advice: everything I said I think applies if this is a second or third vehicle. If it's your primary transportation, you almost certainly should not buy this car if you don't have a local dealer.

John777

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I'm 400kms away from Toronto Canada nearest Lotus Dealership. I live in Canada. And I'm about 50kms away from a Lotus Dealership in the USA or Detroit Michigan area. I wonder if it will be a problem getting warranty work done in the USA instead. I think with new cars I've had in the past from the Big 3 say Ford Chrysler and GM they company wanted you to get warranty work in your own country where you bought the vehicle. Regular Maintenance was ok to go wherever. I'm assuming since the Lotus is from England that I should be able to get warranty work done in the USA instead of Canada where
I will be buying the Lotus.

EyeFour Eemeerah!

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I'm 400kms away from Toronto Canada nearest Lotus Dealership. I live in Canada. And I'm about 50kms away from a Lotus Dealership in the USA or Detroit Michigan area. I wonder if it will be a problem getting warranty work done in the USA instead. I think with new cars I've had in the past from the Big 3 say Ford Chrysler and GM they company wanted you to get warranty work in your own country where you bought the vehicle. Regular Maintenance was ok to go wherever. I'm assuming since the Lotus is from England that I should be able to get warranty work done in the USA instead of Canada where
I will be buying the Lotus.
I would imagine it requires the country of registration. I may be wrong

Climber

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
In my opinion, having owned a warranty covered evora from new, it’s highly likely (almost certainly) in the first year there will be issues that come up, either software updates or cosmetic items... I joke, but the only reason I’m comfortable getting this car right now is because I’ll have a “spare” lotus.

If it was me, and the dealer was that far away, I’d buy the car used, 12 months old and let someone else deal with the first issues.

After the first 12 months, you can be more self sufficient as by then my car only goes in for servicing, which can be done anywhere, and if it’s something more serious, lotus have in the past paid for the flatbed under warranty.

Good luck with whatever you decide
That’s good to know, I live 250 from my porsche dealership and the pay for a flatbed. I was wondering about lotus. I am 350 miles from the lotus dealership. Hoping that by the time they ship US cars most of the bugs have been fixed.