Insurance Options for US Market

981KMAN

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Do you have "classic" car insurance or a mainstream policy with them?
I have a regular mainstream policy. Yet insure 4 cars (3 Porsches & 1 Volvo) and only 2 drivers. We are both over 60 years old. I also need to correct that our policies have a $1000 deductible for Collision/Comprehensive.
We also have our Homeowners & Liability Umbrella with Chubb.

Last edited:

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
It looks like Grundy doesn't list max mileage per year.
Screenshot_20230829-223337.png

KCMO68_510

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Try Grundy. Here's a "high" quote I did with them for $105k replacement and with Virginia surcharges. Actual would likely be less.

View attachment 30900
Did you call them? I tried to find an Emira on their online quote and couldn't find it.

I have my Datsun covered by them already, so I'm sold on the company.

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Did you call them? I tried to find an Emira on their online quote and couldn't find it.

I have my Datsun covered by them already, so I'm sold on the company.
I put it in as a custom entry for a 2024 Lotus Emira V6 FE. Maybe these are default values and it would come back with something else once they really look at it, but I sort of doubt it. The replaceable panels on the Emira should make it quite a bit less expensive to repair compared to the clamshell cars.

KCMO68_510

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I put it in as a custom entry for a 2024 Lotus Emira V6 FE. Maybe these are default values and it would come back with something else once they really look at it, but I sort of doubt it. The replaceable panels on the Emira should make it quite a bit less expensive to repair compared to the clamshell cars.
One other question. Will cars delivered in 2024 be 2024 or 2025 cars?

OP
EyeFour Eemeerah!

EyeFour Eemeerah!

Emira Fan
Reaction score
One other question. Will cars delivered in 2024 be 2024 or 2025 cars?
Short answer… it depends. They would be able to deliver production year 2025 cars however seeing the track record of Lotus this far, I can’t see that happening. Therefore I would anticipate that they would all be 2024.

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Could it be too soon (August) for stipulating a 2024 MY in 2023; best to wait for September or October when car industry typically releases an upcoming MY?

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Could it be too soon (August) for stipulating a 2024 MY in 2023; best to wait for September or October when car industry typically releases an upcoming MY?
A number of car companies introduce the following model year midway through the current year. Subaru, for example, used to flip over in about May.

Wikipedia article on Model Year to the rescue:
1693424019714.png

Hell4Leather

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I talked to progressive about insurance for my 2020 bmw m240i and 2024 lotus emira with the below coverage on both cars. the type of coverage is really important dont forget. i was on the phone for a long while cuz they didnt know how to handle the Lotus

100k/300k - body injury
100k/300k - uninsured body
50k & 250 deductible - uninsured property
2.5k - personal injury projection
500 deductible - comprehensive
500 deductible - collision
5k - custom parts

it came out to $2163 for the lotus and $1600 for the bmw per 6 months

i would obviously be getting screwed so im definitely not taking it and ill keep looking. also i need to decrease coverage tbh
Progressive gave me $125 a month on an Evora GT at $109.

squish

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I happened to be on the phone with my insurance company this morning anyway (Wawanesa - they only service California and Oregon), so I asked for an estimate of what adding the Emira to my existing policy would be.

I know there are a lot of variables that come into play (zip code, age, driving record, etc.) and everyone is different, but just as another point of comparison they quoted me about 1800/year for 5k miles/pleasure use. I do not currently have a homeowner's policy with them so that is without that bundle discount.

MajHall04

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Went online with Hagerty and was quoted $165/month. Seems decent for my zip. Grundy was $119/month.

Last edited:

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Went online with Hagerty and was quoted $165/month. Seems decent for my zip. Grundy was $119/month.
I am going with Hagerty as well. I got much lower qoutes than I currently pay. Didn't even know they existed until I read on this forum. Makes sense though, they understand weekend/collectible cars and how we treat them.

OP
EyeFour Eemeerah!

EyeFour Eemeerah!

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I am going with Hagerty as well. I got much lower qoutes than I currently pay. Didn't even know they existed until I read on this forum. Makes sense though, they understand weekend/collectible cars and how we treat them.
Be careful with Hagerty, as they have MANY stipulations, and any driving persons in the same household must have access to their own daily driver, or you must file an exclusion form barring those without from having authorization to drive the vehicle. Not to drive to work. Not to drive on errands. Not to drive to school. Not to Daily. 3k mile per year limit (extendable to 4k for a higher premium). Too much bullshit with them, and if they’re that strict now, how generous will they be when it’s time for them to pay up?? I told them to kick rocks, and I gladly pay more without fear of going over miles, or god forbid letting someone of MY chosing drive and enjoy my car once in a while. Allowing 3k per year!! Laughable as that lets you drive 60 miles per week!!

Hell4Leather

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Be careful with Hagerty, as they have MANY stipulations, and any driving persons in the same household must have access to their own daily driver, or you must file an exclusion form barring those without from having authorization to drive the vehicle. Not to drive to work. Not to drive on errands. Not to drive to school. Not to Daily. 3k mile per year limit (extendable to 4k for a higher premium). Too much bullshit with them, and if they’re that strict now, how generous will they be when it’s time for them to pay up?? I told them to kick rocks, and I gladly pay more without fear of going over miles, or god forbid letting someone of MY chosing drive and enjoy my car once in a while. Allowing 3k per year!! Laughable as that lets you drive 60 miles per week!!
Yea, weekend car my ass. All day every day. What good is having it if some jag off behind a desk can tell you what to do with it. Tell them what to do with their policy exclusions.

KCMO68_510

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I used to use Hagerty. As others have said they do have a lot of restrictions and because of it, you need to keep everything well documented of when mileage took place. I eventually changed and went with Grundy that is in the same business as Hagerty, but has a lower cost and less restrictions. They are able to keep costs down because they just don't advertise as insanely as Hagerty does.

Just my 2 cents.

MajHall04

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I used to use Hagerty. As others have said they do have a lot of restrictions and because of it, you need to keep everything well documented of when mileage took place. I eventually changed and went with Grundy that is in the same business as Hagerty, but has a lower cost and less restrictions. They are able to keep costs down because they just don't advertise as insanely as Hagerty does.

Just my 2 cents.
yeah, I'm going with Grundy.

C7R35

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I have USAA. The Emira is an option in their list of cars already and my quote came out to $139/month for 4k miles/year. This includes good driver, multi-car, homeowner’s etc discounts.

$100k/$300k injury coverage, $100k property damage coverage, zero at-fault accidents in mine or my wife’s history and zero traffic violations as well. $1k collision, $100 comprehensive deductibles.

It’s more than my AMG GT-S ($160k) was but still not bad for a brand new sports car.

motorpool

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I have USAA. The Emira is an option in their list of cars already and my quote came out to $139/month for 4k miles/year. This includes good driver, multi-car, homeowner’s etc discounts.

$100k/$300k injury coverage, $100k property damage coverage, zero at-fault accidents in mine or my wife’s history and zero traffic violations as well. $1k collision, $100 comprehensive deductibles.

It’s more than my AMG GT-S ($160k) was but still not bad for a brand new sports car.
I too have USAA and last time I got estimate it was $65/mo but I do have many vehicles, house, no claims, clean record, etc etc etc. Way too many factors to compare but am happy with that amount

WarriorHockey2266

Reaction score

I think the new part is key. I’m sure they have a formula and what to start basing it on but it’s still a crap shoot on repair costs so some are going to be higher just because they don’t have data on a new car.

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Yea, weekend car my ass. All day every day. What good is having it if some jag off behind a desk can tell you what to do with it. Tell them what to do with their policy exclusions.
Mainstream car insurance policies are designed for the pattern of use that you're describing. There's no reason to do a collector car policy on a vehicle that you're going to daily drive, it doesn't make sense for any of the parties and doesn't match the risk profile that collector car policies are designed around.

For those of us who are going to keep this as a 3rd/weekend car purely for recreational driving enjoyment in non-daily contexts, a collector car policy (with agreed value) is an ideal way protect the asset and also to save money by virtue of the extremely reduced risk profile.