I'm back, but different....

freefall_junkie

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Welcome back and really great to hear of the new Lotus engagement with the community.

I have lots of questions, especially about the seat, but they can wait for another thread. In the meantime congratulation on your new role!

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Welcome back and really great to hear of the new Lotus engagement with the community.

I have lots of questions, especially about the seat, but they can wait for another thread. In the meantime congratulation on your new role!
I hope this change in stance with Lotus comms will mean Tom can answer questions in conjunction with Lotus in a more structured way (so he doesn't burn out as well!) Be great to set up a Lotus sponsored FAQ section on this site.

eclat2emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
As some of you noticed, I stopped posting on here about 3 weeks ago. A couple of observant folks saw I came back to lurk and a few people sent private messages. It was funny seeing some of the speculation on the "Three cheers..." thread. Thanks for your messages and kind thoughts.

First off, I needed to take a break from some of the stuff going on here and elsewhere online. After Phil posted the pictures from his visit to the factory with Matt, I realised things had (from my point of view at least) got out of hand. The poor Lotus comms and inconsistent info meant every leaked picture, rumour and snippet of half news was generating a wave of speculation and often perpetuating stuff that was just wrong. Trying to be helpful and explain or correct stuff meant I often ended up caught in the crossfire. Sometimes I got wrong info from my own sources, which then undermined my attempts to help. I was also spending way too much time reading and posting, often on the same points across multiple channels. I was also concerned my involvement was inadvertently fuelling the debates.

So I needed a reset.

With the weather improving I also decided to scratch a long-held itch, add another keeper to the fleet to enjoy while I wait for my Emira to arrive in June, and take some time off to do some driving:

View attachment 4239

A couple of other things have been keeping me busy. I think many of you know I was involved with the Emira launch at Hethel last July. Due to Covid restrictions the group of 131 superfans had to join that via video rather than be on site - the upside was we didn't get drenched like the people who were there! I got special access to the show car on the first day of Goodwood to make up for it. Well, I was honoured to be asked to join the superfans again for the Eletre launch.

This also involved some "secret squirrel" stuff to help with preparation and rehearsals. Someone very sharp-eyed spotted the Hethel Yellow Emira used at the launch was the same spec as mine. Funny that, eh? ;) We had fun doing the setups and dummy runs for camera angles. No registration plates on the car, so we couldn't take it on the road or get much above walking pace. But the noise! You might have spotted Scott Walker driving the white Esprit. I wonder who drove the Emira?

View attachment 4238

The launch event was really impressive. So many participants, lots of rehearsal, very slick and high production values. Not all of it was everyone's cup of tea (interpretive dance, anyone?) but a huge splash and a statement about New Lotus. I'm not sure if it was apparent to people watching online but there were actually two events running in parallel. The whole thing was also being broadcast simultaneously in Chinese, hosted by presenter Fenfen Huang:

View attachment 4240

I'll write some more thoughts on the car on the other threads (it's big!), but here are a few pics ... and of course of that Emira:

View attachment 4242

View attachment 4245

View attachment 4246

View attachment 4243

View attachment 4244

View attachment 4241

View attachment 4237

The second project I've been working on has been following on from the Hethel visits we did to feed back about comms and customer care. I finally got to meet some of the people now charged with improving the customer experience. Equally importantly, Lotus have decided to pursue more owner community involvement, including direct liaison between the factory and several of the Lotus forums through a group of reps and Lotus ambassadors.

It's great to have Lotus backing this. I don't think there will be a big launch event but individuals and forums are being brought in to the new Lotus Community Representatives and Ambassadors Programme over the coming months. This will replace the old Lotus Community Relationships And Partnering initiative. So guess who is now one of the Community Ambassadors for Emira in the UK? :)

Excited that this is going to provide more access to teams at Lotus. I'm hoping at some point fairly soon we'll get to host a live Q&A on Zoom with Gav Kershaw about suspension choices, get definitive details on the finalised production seat (it's great!) and various other insights. You never know, we might even get some actual pictures of painted cars!

More to follow...

#uslot
#ForTheCommunity

Footnote: any of you folks who like to take my write-ups and pictures and cross-post them elsewhere, could you please give due acknowledgement to me and publicise the Community Representatives and Ambassadors Programme. Better still, you could direct people to come and visit this lovely forum. Thanks!
Great to have you back Tom, totally understand your recent arc.

So good to hear Lotus have recognised and rewarded you for your efforts here and elsewhere - what a phenomenal experience that must have been!

Looking forward to the next chapter in your big Lotus adventure!

TomAce

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Welcome back, Tom! :)

You have been missed, looking forward to reading your postings again.

One question already that hasn't been answered by now is:

What's the weight of the FE forged wheels? Maybe you can get an answer from Lotus. :)

SJR202

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Tom and welcome back, you've been missed. I completely understand why you took a break, trying to help and then getting conflict or even accused of things just isnt worth the effort. I too took a break for a few weeks as the forum seemed to lose its core focus of those interested and excited for the Emira. Hopefully with the new approach things/posts/people can take a step back and think before posting.

Beautiful McLaren, love that colour and having silver wheels is such a rare sight. Pleased you've been able to get closer to Lotus and become an official ambassador :)

Lots_Of_Trouble

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I’d like to say welcome back Tom but have you guys checked the date? I’m not that easily fooled 😳
He's been a Lotus employee all along 🤣🤣
All your orders are cancelled for slander

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Damn, I just realised it’s April fools day! Is this real or is the joke on us? 🤣🤣🤣

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I have learned long ago to avoid epiphanies on April 1. That being said, I am changing from Dark Verdant to Magma.

OP
TomE

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I’d like to say welcome back Tom but have you guys checked the date? I’m not that easily fooled 😳
You win, I've been rumbled!

For the rest of you "gotcha" and Happy April Fool's Day everyone :LOL:

The first part was true about taking a break. But no McLaren, no involvement in the Eletre launch and no playing with the yellow Emira. I've been chuckling all morning - sorry!

It's great to have Lotus backing this. I don't think there will be a big launch event but individuals and forums are being brought in to the new Lotus Community Representatives and Ambassadors Programme over the coming months. This will replace the old Lotus Community Relationships And Partnering initiative. So guess who is now one of the Community Ambassadors for Emira in the UK? :)

I'm surprised no one spotted the old Lotus CRAP had been replaced by new Lotus CRAP 🤣

Sadly, there is no Lotus community engagement programme and I'm not an ambassador. Same old same old, the usual radio silence and inconsistencies. Very little contact with deposit holders or new info released. But I am starting to get better info on a few topics and my post earlier about speed limiter/cruise control/ADAS is correct. Not long now and we'll have press drives on production cars, test drives and first customer deliveries. Hang on in there!

Thanks for playing along, including all the volunteers to be regional ambassadors - we might be on to something here! I'll respond to the private messages now the cat is out of the bag.

I liked the private messages from Lotus folks saying "I didn't know we had a new community engagement programme, that's excellent". Maybe you can suggest something :)

#ForTheGiggles

Bilbao-Emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Congratulations @TomE .
I fully understand. We all need e break at some point.
Welcome back, although you never really left for us!
Don't feel let down by some posts here. I am sure we all really appreciate all you have done for us in this long trip to the Emira, and I am sure you will continue doing in the new Ambassador role.
Beautiful that McLaren, by the way!

Me not affected by April's fool day, since in Spain we have it on 28th December!! Hopefully I will have my Emira for real before that!

Cheers @TomE ! 🥂🥂🥂

donskibeat

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Good to have you back Tom, and well done on catching everyone out with the April Fools! we should have all known it was too good to be true for anything that Scott said when we met to actually be coming true and for customer contact to be improving!!

Bilbao-Emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Congratulations @TomE .
I fully understand. We all need e break at some point.
Welcome back, although you never really left for us!
Don't feel let down by some posts here. I am sure we all really appreciate all you have done for us in this long trip to the Emira, and I am sure you will continue doing in the new Ambassador role.
Beautiful that McLaren, by the way!

Me not affected by April's fool day, since in Spain we have it on 28th December!! Hopefully I will have my Emira for real before that!

Cheers @TomE ! 🥂🥂🥂
Oh sh..!
Was typing this message and then BOOM!

DPB

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Welcome back @TomE - well-played sir! I'll confess to having been caught in your web. There has been such a jumble of minor updates and ongoing speculation lately that we are all easy marks. I look forward to further updates from you and I hope you can avoid the "no good deed goes unpunished" responses from past efforts.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score

The first part was true about taking a break. But no McLaren, no involvement in the Eletre launch and no playing with the yellow Emira. I've been chuckling all morning - sorry!

I'm surprised no one spotted the old Lotus CRAP had been replaced by new Lotus CRAP 🤣

Sadly, there is no Lotus community engagement programme and I'm not an ambassador. Same old same old, the usual radio silence and inconsistencies. Very little contact with deposit holders or new info released. But I am starting to get better info on a few topics and my post earlier about speed limiter/cruise control/ADAS is correct. Not long now and we'll have press drives on production cars, test drives and first customer deliveries. Hang on in there!

Thanks for playing along, including all the volunteers to be regional ambassadors - we might be on to something here! I'll respond to the private messages now the cat is out of the bag.

I liked the private messages from Lotus folks saying "I didn't know we had a new community engagement programme, that's excellent". Maybe you can suggest something :)

#ForTheGiggles
Ah man, why you do that to us 🤣🤣🤣
I literally told Scott that was what was needed the other week. Thought my prayers 🙏 had been answered. Think I prefer it when you aren't here 😘😅

TXEMIRA

Emira Maniac
Reaction score

#ForTheGiggles
#ForTheFooled