i4 Insurance

Superman

Emira Owner!!
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
We have one of our current cars insured with Admiral - just been on to look at adding the Emira to the policy - Doesn't recognise the reg number (although that doesn't come up on the gov.uk site yet either, so assume it is only 'allocated' to my car and not actually 'registered' yet), but does have a selection for "N/A" along with the two V6 options... Selecting "N/A", brings up further selection of engine size as 1991cc - Choosing this, the pro-rata additional price is coming out at under £700 for 6k miles and £0 voluntary excess, so have gone with this for our Monday collection.

PsymonR

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
We have one of our current cars insured with Admiral - just been on to look at adding the Emira to the policy - Doesn't recognise the reg number (although that doesn't come up on the gov.uk site yet either, so assume it is only 'allocated' to my car and not actually 'registered' yet), but does have a selection for "N/A" along with the two V6 options... Selecting "N/A", brings up further selection of engine size as 1991cc - Choosing this, the pro-rata additional price is coming out at under £700 for 6k miles and £0 voluntary excess, so have gone with this for our Monday collection.
Yeah, the collection day will be the day of first registration for the car so it's not going to show up on the system before then (and you may even find it doesn't show up on some systems for some days after either, I've had this before when looking for a full policy whilst a car has been on 7 day driveaway insurance).

schuey100

Reaction score
Yeah, the collection day will be the day of first registration for the car so it's not going to show up on the system before then (and you may even find it doesn't show up on some systems for some days after either, I've had this before when looking for a full policy whilst a car has been on 7 day driveaway insurance).
Went with Admiral today, still frustrated they can’t re-word the exact model after numerous attempts trying to explain but they have put a note on the system, may be worth mentioning like I did it’s an I4 not V6! Hopefully be ok but need some little box thing they send to you and have to connect to an app so they can monitor your movements…bit ‘big brother’ but hey ho

PsymonR

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Went with Admiral today, still frustrated they can’t re-word the exact model after numerous attempts trying to explain but they have put a note on the system, may be worth mentioning like I did it’s an I4 not V6! Hopefully be ok but need some little box thing they send to you and have to connect to an app so they can monitor your movements…bit ‘big brother’ but hey ho

Was the black box monitoring the only way they would offer you insurance? I have to say, needing to have a black box from the insurance company would be a no-go for me.

Looking at Admiral via Compare the Market I do see their "LittleBox" policy alongside more normal policies, their regular policies come out as a bit more expensive, but I'd pay the higher premium all day long to not be monitored by them.

Superman

Emira Owner!!
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Interestingly, from the quotes I got, their black box policy was way more expensive for us than their normal policies... Thank goodness!! Although I would happily pay more for any non black box policy.

schuey100

Reaction score
Was the black box monitoring the only way they would offer you insurance? I have to say, needing to have a black box from the insurance company would be a no-go for me.

Looking at Admiral via Compare the Market I do see their "LittleBox" policy alongside more normal policies, their regular policies come out as a bit more expensive, but I'd pay the higher premium all day long to not be monitored by them.
TBO I’ve never heard of the little box before as I’ve had a trade policy most of my life so may be out of touch with private policies but they only mentioned it at the end of the transaction not at the quote stage! Dosnt really bother me was hard trying to find insurance at such short notice with such a new model and prob take me a year to bed her in after that I’ll look around at more insurance options…

schuey100

Reaction score
TBO I’ve never heard of the little box before as I’ve had a trade policy most of my life so may be out of touch with private policies but they only mentioned it at the end of the transaction not at the quote stage! Dosnt really bother me was hard trying to find insurance at such short notice with such a new model and prob take me a year to bed her in after that I’ll look around at more insurance options…
Oh and they still list the I4 as a V6 but assure me it’s the correct car, decent quote though with low excess

GTti

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Oh and they still list the I4 as a V6 but assure me it’s the correct car, decent quote though with low excess
Through Admiral app portal. It came up with 4 model choices. 3x V6’s and 1x that was N/A. The drop down after the N/A gave the 1991cc option.

Andy H

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
TBO I’ve never heard of the little box before
Personally, I would be steering well clear of any little boxes! It gathers information about your driving habits including speed, acceleration, braking, cornering etc. I'm not sure how sophisticated they are with regard to correlating with roads and speed limits but clearly if you exceed 70mph they'll know about it. Personally, this would be a no-no for me. I'm planning to take the slightly more expensive option without the Big Brother scheme!

I'm going to call Admiral today about the labelling too as I would also want something on the policy to make it crystal clear. I am also going to check whether they insist on a tracker as I was able to classify the car as without tracker and it didn't seem to affect the quote in any way.

PsymonR

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I'm going to call Admiral today about the labelling too as I would also want something on the policy to make it crystal clear. I am also going to check whether they insist on a tracker as I was able to classify the car as without tracker and it didn't seem to affect the quote in any way.

I wonder if it is worth checking about First Edition as part of the naming as well as the engine specifics. There is a FE option for the V6, but not for the i4. Can at least select the correct engine size via the 'N/A' type as mentioned above.

I wonder how quickly things will feed through once customer cars are actually on the road, I wonder if the slight delay I'll have before getting the car will help things filter through the system at all (I'm not holding out too much hope on that front though).

Interestingly if you look up the i4 Emira from Harry's review, reg AU23 ZPV, it comes up as a V6 FE.
1711103805002.png

Looking at how the V6 FE can be selected with Admiral I would expect if things were set up correctly we'd just be choosing something like the following, but of course why would things be that straightforward on the Lotus Emira journey :ROFLMAO:
  • Model: Emira
  • Type: First Edition I4 RWD 360
  • Engine Size: 1991 CC 2 DOOR - 2024 - ----

gdotp

Reaction score
I’m picking mine up next Friday. My quote on a multi car with Ford Insure is £530 for just under a years cover with 10k per annum and no tracker. That seems like a bit of a steal looking at other quotes here. I’m in low insurance area

Andy H

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I’m picking mine up next Friday. My quote on a multi car with Ford Insure is £530 for just under a years cover with 10k per annum and no tracker. That seems like a bit of a steal looking at other quotes here. I’m in low insurance area
Damn - that is a steal. I'm seeing double that. Lots of driveway thefts round here lately. I think my postcode got twinned with Compton.

Last edited:

PsymonR

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I'll laugh if this gets traced back to a type approval / registration c0ckup by Lotus.
I've looked again at the Admiral site by using the reg of the car RyanGPhoto posted in the Race to the first i4 thread, AO24 FZH. This looks to pick up an option that isn't selectable using the options in the "don't know the reg?" route. So something is working at least once you are dealing with a recently registered car (the car was first registered this month, on the 4th March looking at the V5C issued date).
1711196110625.png

Whether this proceeds to be able to give a quote or not I don't know, I'm not going to try and get an insurance quote for a car that isn't mine! But I wonder if this can somehow be able to be used to get the car details in the insurance documentation more accurate somehow?

Mitcheroo

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I spoke to Admiral earlier today having got some competitive quotes Online. Even going for their Admiral Gold cover it was only coming out at around £500. This is based on having a tracker, 6k mileage, but quite a high excess of around £700. I discovered I have protected NCB on my other car so used my full 9 years on this car. My other car’s insurance is coming up for renewal so this was part of a multi-car quote which provides a reasonable discount. I was quoted around £700 for my Jaguar XF Sportbrake upcoming renewal by LV but even with a nil NCB on this car the Admiral quote came out at around £500 too. But when I spoke to them I explained that it specified it was a 2l automatic but was titled Emira V6 rather than i4. The girl on the phone said I would not be able go ahead with it if said V6 in the title, but it was not a V6. I pressed her on this and she said she would have to speak with the underwriters. She assured me they would get back to me tomorrow. We shall see. Picking up car on Thursday or Friday.

Andy H

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Good prices at least. Admiral are my preference also but Lotus are saying the car won't be registered until the day I collect which seems bonkers. Admiral weren't willing to go ahead without being able to look up the plate so I'm also in a catch 22. I really expected them to get things sorted by now.

schuey100

Reaction score
I spoke to Admiral earlier today having got some competitive quotes Online. Even going for their Admiral Gold cover it was only coming out at around £500. This is based on having a tracker, 6k mileage, but quite a high excess of around £700. I discovered I have protected NCB on my other car so used my full 9 years on this car. My other car’s insurance is coming up for renewal so this was part of a multi-car quote which provides a reasonable discount. I was quoted around £700 for my Jaguar XF Sportbrake upcoming renewal by LV but even with a nil NCB on this car the Admiral quote came out at around £500 too. But when I spoke to them I explained that it specified it was a 2l automatic but was titled Emira V6 rather than i4. The girl on the phone said I would not be able go ahead with it if said V6 in the title, but it was not a V6. I pressed her on this and she said she would have to speak with the underwriters. She assured me they would get back to me tomorrow. We shall see. Picking up car on Thursday or Friday.
Done all that with them 3 times! You have explained exactly what said to them aswel, they eventually said it was the right car it’s just thier description it was is frustrating as I really pressed them to get it right. Went with them anyway as I was running out of time as picked up last Friday so hopefully it’ll be fine! Good luck hope they come back to you and get it sorted. 🤷‍♂️

Mitcheroo

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Done all that with them 3 times! You have explained exactly what said to them aswel, they eventually said it was the right car it’s just thier description it was is frustrating as I really pressed them to get it right. Went with them anyway as I was running out of time as picked up last Friday so hopefully it’ll be fine! Good luck hope they come back to you and get it sorted. 🤷‍♂️
Yes, I did see your helpful previous post thanks and so when the lady said about we won’t insure it, I did say to her that I know another i4 owner (ie you) that has insured their i4 through them which is when she said she would refer it on. As we know, there is no reason they can’t cover the car, it is just that it is a new model and their systems are playing catch up. Someone in Admiral simply needs to tweak the headline name of the car to Emira i4 from V6 So it matches the 2l automatic underlying details. Then, job done and no more confusion. Did you pick yours up today?