I4 inside the vehicle sound

nimbusblack

Reaction score
sound a little fake? like its piped into the cabin like Audi and others do in their RS lineup (came from an RS4 into a V6 Emira)

Tokion

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I have already written about this subject in a couple of threads. (I have an Emira i4 on order). It became apparent to me after Lotus of Naples (the biggest Lotus retailer in the USA) posted an interior video of an i4 AMG going up the famous Goodwood Hill recently. This is even more apparent by the Chinese bilibili.com videos.

Below are my own words (also posted in a separate thread):

Another brief comment on the Chinese videos that I have already (separately on another thread) commented on the Lotus of Naples (Florida, USA) video from Goodwood, that is also posted in the original post on this thread, without credit to Lotus of Naples, is that the engine sound recorded from INSIDE while driving is quite loud. Other videos that have recorded the engine sound as heard OUTSIDE the car sound quite the opposite with a muted sound. This gives me the impression that the EMIRA i4 may have equipment that ENHANCES the sound inside the car⁉️ I have also placed my order for the I4 (since summer 2021, and confirmed and paid 10% of full value in April 2022), so I am worried if the car EXTERNALLY emits sound only on par with an A45 S AMG 2 liter turbo, but has ENHANCED sound for “driver’s and passenger’s pleasure” INSIDE the car⁉️ I get the impression that the Chinese bilibili channel staff and video editors are very careful not to record (and show) the i4 sound from OUTSIDE the car, because I think this sound will be far less impressive.

Here is the original Lotus of Naples video (available from their FaceBook page)

Last edited:

GlobalPilot777

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Totally agreed! That sound from inside is fake and needs to be switched off.. however on the other end I know what this engine can sound from the outside and it is insanely loud (maybe not the best pitch, pops and bangs for some but defo loud) when you decat it with a titanium exhaust.

I prefer all day everyday the turbocharger sound over a whining supercharger sound..

Check this video, the black a45s… same engine only tune the emira baby up to stock 416hp

LoudestA45s

Tokion

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Totally agreed! That sound from inside is fake and needs to be switched off.. however on the other end I know what this engine can sound from the outside and it is insanely loud (maybe not the best pitch, pops and bangs for some but defo loud) when you decat it with a titanium exhaust.

I prefer all day everyday the turbocharger sound over a whining supercharger sound..

Check this video, the black a45s… same engine only tune the emira baby up to stock 416hp

LoudestA45s
Yes, I get your point of view and also your preferences. With a 4 cylinder BMW 528i, I already went that route and had a totally custom exhaust system built, and I even went through the entire homologation process in Japan to make it legal to use. But it was very difficult to control, and quite easy to err on the loud side. Besides a 4-cylinder will never ever be able to sound like a 6- or 8-cylinder (I already have proven that point). I do agree with swapping some elements to titanium. Another problem is if you remove or alter emission equipment, you will get into trouble with the law, and May have to revert every time there is an official examination.

By the way; I think the interior sound of the Emira in the videos is not “fake”. The sound itself is genuine enough. The issue is that it is most likely “amplified” or “enhanced”. I have no idea if Lotus will provide a way of turning it off; but as you can see in the BMW M2 “ASD” video, a dongle connected to the car’s OBD port will most probably give access to turning the sound enhancement off.

PLEASE NOTE THAT I AM NOT CRITICISING LOTUS CARS AND THEIR EMIRA i4 MODEL DESPITE THAT THERE MAY BE A (NOT CONFIRMED) POSSIBILITY THAT THERE IS AN ENGINE SOUND AMPLIFICATION OR ENHANCEMENT SYSTEM INSTALLED IN THE INTERIOR. I AM WAITING FOR THE DELIVERY OF MY OWN i4 FE, AND I INTEND TO GO THROUGH WITH MY PURCHASE REGARDLESS IF THE SYSTEM EXISTS OR NOT.

However, I would prefer that LOTUS CARS will inform all buyers if there is indeed such a system. There should also be a clear explanation of how to turn it off.

Last edited:

Tokion

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
And here is what the Mercedes A-class community has to say about the matter:

Tokion

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
sound a little fake? like its piped into the cabin like Audi and others do in their RS lineup (came from an RS4 into a V6 Emira)
NIMBUSBLACK:
You are absolutely correct, and you have the experience coming from an Audi RS4 with an “engine sound piped into cabin” system (this can be done in various ways by each manufacturer). As the national and international engine noise regulations get stricter, it may become “necessary” to have such systems that amplify the engine sound in the cabin for driver/passenger engagement. Not all cars have superchargers or larger engines with more than 4 cylinders.

I started to write about this on this forum since Lotus of Naples (the biggest Lotus retailer in the USA) released a video on FaceBook with cabin sound from the Emira i4 Racing up the Goodwood Hill. Comparing other videos filming the car externally going up the hill, I realized that the strong and eager internal cabin sound was not in proportion to the external sound.

The very interesting part is that almost no-one on this forum REACTS to these comments. It really feels like very few members on this forum are interested in what the Emira i4 Turbo. However, there is a strong focus on how great the Emira V6 sounds externally as well as internally. This is definitely true. But I was hoping this forum is for people that are interested in both versions of the Lotus Emira? However, I am hoping that there will be more focus on the advantages that the i4 Turbo version will bring to the party. What makes many of us (like myself) prefer this version?

The PRESS EMBARGO FOR EMIRA 2.0 Turbo (i4) WILL BE RELEASED ON AUGUST 8, 2023 - so only after this date, we will get various reviews published via the internet. I think only then we will know more about the i4 Turbo advantage.

It really should be about preferences and likes and dislikes. Those who prefer the Emira V6 Supercharged version, and those who prefer the i4 Turbocharged version.

TOKION

Last edited:

Coilover

Reaction score
You can't 'switch off' the sound. It's not piped music that they put on the stereo.

Most manufacturers use a tube that originates on the inlet side and ends in a small resonator box on the bulkhead wall of the engine bay.
If you don't want to hear your car, or the noise is intrusive, then simply take the tube out and blank off the end that is on the induction side. 'Problem' solved.

The Alpine A110 does this and there is a blanking plug that allows you to remove the tube.

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
You can't 'switch off' the sound. It's not piped music that they put on the stereo.

Most manufacturers use a tube that originates on the inlet side and ends in a small resonator box on the bulkhead wall of the engine bay.
If you don't want to hear your car, or the noise is intrusive, then simply take the tube out and blank off the end that is on the induction side. 'Problem' solved.

The Alpine A110 does this and there is a blanking plug that allows you to remove the tube.
The genuinely depends on the implementation.

The majority of BMW ASD is purely via speaker -- I can completely turn mine off in the M4.

The A45S is mostly via speakers but also has a pathway from cabin.