I Drive The Lotus Eletre For The First Time! A Charging Monster w/ Fantastic Interior & Performance

Dragoon

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
Kyle and Alyssa are attending Car Week in the Monterey area where they were offered a last minute unexpected test drive of the new Lotus Eletre, a new electric SUV. This particular one is a Euro spec Eletre R with over 900hp, rear steer, and tons of goodies. Watch to find out what they thought!

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
This is great. And wow, the first 30 seconds of that video tells us a LOT about how well thought out the vehicle is as a cohesive luxury+performance experience.

Launching all the items out of the cubby? I feel like this sort of thing is going to be more and more common as the interior teams diverge further and further away from the teams designing and testing the rest of the car. 🫤

eriegz

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Finally got around to watching the above hour-long video, and wow — a lot of content, with a lot of takeaways:
  • they couldn't stop raving about how fast, cool, and high-quality the vehicle is
  • watching some of the car's tech in action (e.g.: the 3D Lidar-powered surroundings, user-adjustable sunroof glass opacity, etc.) was mind-blowing to me, as someone who's relatively new to this whole vehicle segment
  • overall, what a night-and-day difference in quality & sophistication in the Eletre over the Emira
Honestly, after watching this video, it feels like there's two completely different companies here: "Lotus Hethel" and "Lotus Germany-China", with the latter seeming like they're kicking the former's ass. The Hethel team can't even build windshield wipers that turn on & off, whereas the Germany + Wuhan team are building futuristic video game-powered infotainment screens that control self-cleaning Lidar sensors on every corner of the vehicle that actually work. It's insane. And the only way that I can explain this discrepancy, is that none of what I'm seeing in the Eletre was designed & built by anybody in the UK.

DerTheDer

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Finally got around to watching the above hour-long video, and wow — a lot of content, with a lot of takeaways:
  • they couldn't stop raving about how fast, cool, and high-quality the vehicle is
  • watching some of the car's tech in action (e.g.: the 3D Lidar-powered surroundings, user-adjustable sunroof glass opacity, etc.) was mind-blowing to me, as someone who's relatively new to this whole vehicle segment
  • overall, what a night-and-day difference in quality & sophistication in the Eletre over the Emira
Honestly, after watching this video, it feels like there's two completely different companies here: "Lotus Hethel" and "Lotus Germany-China", with the latter seeming like they're kicking the former's ass. The Hethel team can't even build windshield wipers that turn on & off, whereas the Germany + Wuhan team are building futuristic video game-powered infotainment screens that control self-cleaning Lidar sensors on every corner of the vehicle that actually work. It's insane. And the only way that I can explain this discrepancy, is that none of what I'm seeing in the Eletre was designed & built by anybody in the UK.

Big if true! Seems to hit the mark...

Auto Smiler

Reaction score

Attachments

• RPReplay_Final1693867312.mov
    10.6 MB

EMIRADILEMMA

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Giving a lot of "Emira problems are due to poor quality parts from China" commenters on this forum some food for thought...

KusaKusa

Reaction score
Kyle and Alyssa are one of the best EV reviewers out there. They've reviewed pretty much every production EV out there besides the Rimac Nevera, so they're very familiar with the variety of EV specs off the top of their head. There's a lot of nuance in their review of EVs that no one else talks about, like torque/power curve tuning, EV motor cogging at low speeds, regen to a stop, regen and brake crossover tuning, and a lot of stuff regarding charging. On top of that, Kyle has a traditional petrolhead background so he also reviews chassis behavior like many auto journalists with over/understeer, suspension behavior, NVH, etc.

It's a long video, but that's mostly to cover a comprehensive amount of content. You can skip around if that's your preference. Overall it's a great review, and if the Eletre is priced similarly or just above the Polestar 3 to start, it'll be an amazing package and a level above its similarly-priced competitors. If the US-China tariff is priced in, it'll be a rough ask to spend that much money.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order

There’s that joke about preferring a meal cooked by an Italian and organised by a German, but not a meal cooked by a German and organised by an Italian :)

Seems a similar situation here. The main Lotus UK input on Eletre is exterior and interior styling (continuing the Evija and Emira design language) and ride & handling (Gav Kershaw’s magic). Tech has been Germany and China, sourcing and manufacturing by China. Seems like that formula cooks up a decent recipe.

UK Eletre demos are due at dealers this or next week. I’m not in the market for one (smaller Type 134 for me), but interested to test drive one as a taste of what’s to come with 134 and 135.

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
There’s that joke about preferring a meal cooked by an Italian and organised by a German, but not a meal cooked by a German and organised by an Italian :)

Seems a similar situation here. The main Lotus UK input on Eletre is exterior and interior styling (continuing the Evija and Emira design language) and ride & handling (Gav Kershaw’s magic). Tech has been Germany and China, sourcing and manufacturing by China. Seems like that formula cooks up a decent recipe.

UK Eletre demos are due at dealers this or next week. I’m not in the market for one (smaller Type 134 for me), but interested to test drive one as a taste of what’s to come with 134 and 135.
Your meals-on-wheels analogy conjures up fast food servings.
Also describes some of the heartburn owners are having.

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
What astonishes me is that Lotus lifestyle (German & Chinese) were able to build what seems to be a very competitive EV SUV that is winning praise, from scratch, all the while the Emira's launch and production was full of issues. One is using cutting edge technology and the other is using 20 year old tech (for the most part). It should have been the other way around!

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
What astonishes me is that Lotus lifestyle (German & Chinese) were able to build what seems to be a very competitive EV SUV that is winning praise, from scratch, all the while the Emira's launch and production was full of issues. One is using cutting edge technology and the other is using 20 year old tech (for the most part). It should have been the other way around!
I don't find this astonishing at all. The German+Chinese combination is a large company with a ton of modern engineering and manufacturing capabilities. Lotus UK is still a scrappy little car builder, just a bit better funded. Much of the Eletre is just the application of some formula into a car of a different form/design. There is nothing novel about it, except maybe for the design, which ironically is one area that Lotus UK maybe made a contribution to.

I'm reminded of a local restaurant chain, called Great American Restaurants. They own a large number of very well-run and operated chains serving different market segments, with universally great operations and very well cooked food ranging from $10 to $100 per entree. The seared salmon is going to be to my liking, served over an exacting amount of salad - I just know it! As much as I love eating at one of their fine establishments, what I seek out is the independent shop where the owner knows how to cook a selection of signature dishes *just so*. And while the restaurant doesn't have the nicest setting, the cleanest tables, or even matching chairs, I know the food will hit the spot *just so*. I'm willing to put up with the occasional diarrhea because I can't get that food anywhere else.

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I don't find this astonishing at all. The German+Chinese combination is a large company with a ton of modern engineering and manufacturing capabilities. Lotus UK is still a scrappy little car builder, just a bit better funded. Much of the Eletre is just the application of some formula into a car of a different form/design. There is nothing novel about it, except maybe for the design, which ironically is one area that Lotus UK maybe made a contribution to.

I'm reminded of a local restaurant chain, called Great American Restaurants. They own a large number of very well-run and operated chains serving different market segments, with universally great operations and very well cooked food ranging from $10 to $100 per entree. The seared salmon is going to be to my liking, served over an exacting amount of salad - I just know it! As much as I love eating at one of their fine establishments, what I seek out is the independent shop where the owner knows how to cook a selection of signature dishes *just so*. And while the restaurant doesn't have the nicest setting, the cleanest tables, or even matching chairs, I know the food will hit the spot *just so*. I'm willing to put up with the occasional diarrhea because I can't get that food anywhere else.
Are you talking about the Hethel canteen? :LOL:

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Are you talking about the Hethel canteen? :LOL:
The best tuna melt I have ever had was at the employee cafeteria serving a USPS mail and packages sorting/distribution center. . This little old Vietnamese lady took and handled 4-5 orders at a time and knocked them out in parallel with the kind of care and efficiency that would have made Anthony Bourdain proud. A couple of years later, the cafeteria was closed down permanently due to not passing food safety inspections multiple times. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The best tuna melt I have ever had was at the employee cafeteria serving a USPS mail and packages sorting/distribution center. . This little old Vietnamese lady took and handled 4-5 orders at a time and knocked them out in parallel with the kind of care and efficiency that would have made Anthony Bourdain proud. A couple of years later, the cafeteria was closed down permanently due to not passing food safety inspections multiple times. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Your sandwich is 'out for delivery.'

dgrace

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
"If you have an Eletre lasting longer than 4 hours, see your doctor."

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

You and I need to get together and hit up some food spots. NoVA/DC is full of hidden gems.

KusaKusa

Reaction score
I've been following the Emira production to see how Type 135 production would eventually be... and to say the least, I wish it were to be built in China. The Eletre quality seems outstanding so far. But then US-China tariffs so lose-lose 🤷‍♂️