How we approach moderating on the forum

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I do appreciate all the effort moderators do for cleanup. Keeping topics separate and merging repeated topics maintains a clear discussion. I don’t see this happening in any other forums but I do appreciate it. I don’t want to personally keep track of 20 different test drive threads etc.

It’s also refreshing not to see so much toxicity and political content as you find in every other car forum — save that stuff for your Facebook.

CarGuy07

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I like to think this should be similiar to chatting in a pub. What takes us days to figure out here would take 90 seconds of chatting in a pub. A good rule to follow may be work is serious emiraforum is not serious.
Sometimes it’s fun though. I’ve been on there since inception and while it can sometimes get out of hand, people that should be called out were. Other than that, it’s been good IMO.

hml_xy

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
My opinion is that the moderators are doing a really good job at keeping it friendly and non-toxic. (Or here are just really cool and friendly people ✌️☺️?)

Clearly, the job of watching the discussion not go off-topic is taken very serious and I also noticed that this is a bit stricter than in other forums. On the one hand, it helps the information provided stay relevant. On the other, it reduces the vibe of a "group of friends" hanging out and having a laugh (or fight).

The atmosphere of the Emira launch probably doesn't make it easier as a lot of posts are related to voicing concerns or disappointment. You can only post so much about a car that hasn't arrived yet.

If I would have to say something, I'd suggest to dial the off-topic filter down a notch but stay very strict on toxic or impolite / personal offensive posts.

In any case, thanks a lot for the hard work and dedication. Being a mod is a hobby that is not very rewarding.

Edit: It's probably also just natural that discussions start to form out of another thread. Eg. the F-Type comparison came out of the I'm out (?) chat and clearly belongs into another area. But it turned into a valid and interesting discussion which was worth moving so others can more easily chime in that might not care for the "I'm out" talk.

JP__FOX

Reaction score
I think the moderation is handled well. It's a difficult task keeping people civil, threads on topic and trying to handle some of the serial moaners so thank you to all of the moderators!

NicolasB

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I think mods blocked me from the I'm in thread. 😄

First time in 25 years of forums I've been blocked from anything. Guess it's time to be "out out" from everything Lotus. Sad because this has been my best forum experience so far. Too bad the car wasn't as good.

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Kind of! We’re asking what kind of community we want here. What’s acceptable and what’s not. The forum rules are clear on the obvious stuff. But there are grey areas, where some might prefer more guard rails and others may not. That can vary by sub-forum and thread too.

The sub-forums about aspects of the car (engine, electronics etc) are often where people go to find information and solutions to problems, rather than to debate the merits of that feature. So I think people prefer less off topic discussion there.

Sub-forums about purchasing, regional groups, competitor cars and general chat are more free-flowing and so “pub chat”, banter and debate are more likely.

As an example, the test drives thread is the most heavily curated thread on the forum, to maintain the focus on first hand feedback from drives by forum members.
I say curating and deleting off topic discussion in the most important threads is necessary - i.e. "test drive" "Emira problems and solutions" etc.

The I'm out/I'm in, regional and more loose topic/discussion will always eventually veer in and out of the topic. Less moderation is probably required there.

Politics, global warming and EV's, non-car related discussion that escalates into more touchy subjects is the tricky one. How far does that get moderated? It's a fine line and I am ok with that being moderated. Although the humour side of things is pretty entertaining to read. The line of offensive and humour are sometimes very blurred. I would say as long as the discussion does not get "heated" I would let it play out, just not in the more vital informative threads that many non-members would be interested in.... I mean random people probably don't care about @emiraspain 's dating life or @Leonard 's love for fine timepieces and his Yaris'. (odd combination BTW....:ROFLMAO:) Although, I will say I have had a few good laughs from it.... and many other members.

Besides that I think the moderation from my perspective has been mostly fair. - I still think it's funny we are moderating the moderators on how they should moderate....

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order

First time in 25 years of forums I've been blocked from anything. Guess it's time to be "out out" from everything Lotus. Sad because this has been my best forum experience so far. Too bad the car wasn't as good.
Moderators can’t block you from an individual. thread.

If your post was moved to another thread (which I think is what happened) and you are watching the thread then a previous email alert may show as a broken link. Just find the thread via the home page.

Green

Emira Fiend
Reaction score

Cant blame the mods for blocking trolls;)

vision

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Cant blame the mods for blocking trolls;)
Im not a troll, I'm waiting for my car this month but I can say what I feel, selecting editing is pretty poor, be quick this will evaporate like a mission impossible tape

Green

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Im not a troll, I'm waiting for my car this month but I can say what I feel, selecting editing is pretty poor, be quick this will evaporate like a mission impossible tape
Were you blocked?

motorpool

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I just want to say that I very much appreciate Tom and the other mods as I can only imagine how times they've said, are you kidding me, I'm done with this knucklehead ..... Most people don't like to be moderated but some people also can't handle being civil and adhering to the rules established to play here. Behind a keyboard can empower some to be more much brazen than they would in the real world. I have a friend that I met at C&C and he is super nice, respectful, courteous, etc but then when I finally accepted him as a friend on FB .... holy cow, a 180, goes balastic and don't want to be associated with someone like that. I know I'm giving a far reaching example but it relates.

I do like some of the light hearted jabs and some out of left field comments . Overall I think this forum is well run and managed and alot of really good people ... well except for a few, you know who you are :)

Perhaps Lotus inserted some people to add negativity so we would focus on that and not worry as much about cars not being delivered.

Good job mods and thanks to all who add meaningful contributions.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
You seem to be saying you're the victim of unfair moderation. You have had a handful of off topic or inappropriate posts deleted. Sometimes you have had posts deleted as part of removing several off-topic posts that created a tangent. You've been warned 3 times about the inappropriate tone of 3 specific posts, with reasons given as to why.

Over the last couple of days you've made a few side comments about how you have been moderated.

Play nicely. If you want to keep baiting the moderators then be prepared for further warnings and potentially a temporary ban.

NicolasB

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Moderators can’t block you from an individual. thread.

If your post was moved to another thread (which I think is what happened) and you are watching the thread then a previous email alert may show as a broken link. Just find the thread via the home page.
My bad, it is normally in the top 5-10 threads, and it somehow ended on the 2nd page, so I figured I was blocked from it to keep everyone happy. Either way, I gotta move on to other things anyway. I like to keep up with the folks on here to see the end of their car journey, whether it be with the Emira, or an F-Type or 718, whatever. I guess I feel I shared similar thoughts about certain cars and therefore respect the viewpoints of many users on here. Other than @Green , he's just my troll partner.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
The speed and controlled way in which threads are moderated and this forum grows as new more relevant threads are created is incredible really. So kudos to the team. I've been a moderator and it's very rewarding, but I don't think I could do it again 😅

I'm not sure if a lot of members on here maybe haven't experienced sports car forums before. But this really is a cut above!

Give it a year to 18 months and this place will be buzzing.
Still be all the gripes left and right and those in the middle holding the two sides together. But that's life.

lion shf

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
My bad, it is normally in the top 5-10 threads, and it somehow ended on the 2nd page, so I figured I was blocked from it to keep everyone happy. Either way, I gotta move on to other things anyway. I like to keep up with the folks on here to see the end of their car journey, whether it be with the Emira, or an F-Type or 718, whatever. I guess I feel I shared similar thoughts about certain cars and therefore respect the viewpoints of many users on here. Other than @Green , he's just my troll partner.
I’ll miss you cause you’re a construction guy.

lion shf

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
The speed and controlled way in which threads are moderated and this forum grows as new more relevant threads are created is incredible really. So kudos to the team. I've been a moderator and it's very rewarding, but I don't think I could do it again 😅

I'm not sure if a lot of members on here maybe haven't experienced sports car forums before. But this really is a cut above!

Give it a year to 18 months and this place will be buzzing.
Still be all the gripes left and right and those in the middle holding the two sides together. But that's life.
What did you moderate, the watch forum?

Aerie Performance Lotus Emira Carbon Fiber Parts GregsRaceParts.com

Latest posts