How many crossed shopped the GT4?

DJS

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Porsche NOT for the Drivers!
Ive purchased 5 brand new Porsches from the same dealership in the last 9 years and get laughed at when asking for a GT car, apparently I haven't bought enough :-(

Yet someone who has been a customer for just over a year who has spent nearly 1 mill with them jumps straight in one.

This is why the Lotus Emira is a breath of fresh air for me.

Wolfram

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Depreciation with mileage is definitely a thing, but I just don't get the point of buying a nice car and hiding it away in the garage. It's still costing a huge amount of money to keep (tax, insurance, servicing, garage space) and you're not getting any fun out of it!

Although I'm no longer in the Emira queue (I bought an Elise SC instead), it would have replaced my 991.2S which I drive almost daily, around 9,000 miles per year. I acquired my 2018 Ferrari 488 Spider last May with just over 4,000 miles on it; it now has 8,000, including track days at Silverstone and Snetterton, and it'll be coming with me to Spa this year.

When you guys get your Emiras, for goodness' sake don't hide them away - drive them like you stole them!

roundincircles

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Porker dealers have a sh1Tty reputation and it may be deserved.

It's a shame they don't just say ''we would love to sell ya one but demand exceeds supply and the boys back at Porker HQ won't let us have any more" . In reality car showrooms are transaction hubs, they don't sell cars they complete transactions, so that drives their behaviour......HQ to dealer, " we need you to sell an extra 50 parked up Cayenne thingies this 1/4 and there is £10k per unit support plus £50k bonus if you reach target" Go get.

RCL

Reaction score
Love the Porsche heritage and cars but don't want to support dealers and manufacturers that act pretentious. GT4 seems to be an amazing machine though.

DaaS

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I put my intent down to purchase a GT4 at the local Porsche dealership. They said we'll call you in 18 months to submit an order. I've never purchased a Porsche before and didn't get any haggling on the GT4. GT3 and GT4RS maybe a different story, but I wasn't going for those anyways.

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Most in flight GT4 deposits might not lead to a car allocation. From what I’m hearing the GT4 will shortly stop production (around June) and GT4 RS production will take over.

Given the current production / supplier challenges, this means Porsche can manufacture less cars whilst maintaining revenue targets by focusing on higher margin product sales.

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Seems like about a year ago the used USA GT4 market was 115k to 140k. Now it is 130k to 170k. I always thought to get a used one but they are out of range at the moment and maybe forever.

Cachaco131

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
I've lost interest in the Porsche brand. When I lived in the UK, I noticed 911s were dime a dozen and even here in the US it feels a bit that way. Then the profile of some 918/718 buyers is not really that of an enthusiast, it's the poser that quite frankly doesn't know much about the car, the history and the brand. And then add on top a leadership that is accepting of unfair dealership practices and not respectful of the enthusiasts.

I mentioned in another post that I rented a 982 GT4 in LA for a full day and drove the heck out of it in the LA crest highway. Fun and all but frankly speaking, it did not feel special to me. I truly hope the Emira brings some Elise handling, steering and suspension feelings back, with some additional comfort and refinement.

p.rob

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I've lost interest in the Porsche brand. When I lived in the UK, I noticed 911s were dime a dozen and even here in the US it feels a bit that way. Then the profile of some 918/718 buyers is not really that of an enthusiast, it's the poser that quite frankly doesn't know much about the car, the history and the brand. And then add on top a leadership that is accepting of unfair dealership practices and not respectful of the enthusiasts.

I mentioned in another post that I rented a 982 GT4 in LA for a full day and drove the heck out of it in the LA crest highway. Fun and all but frankly speaking, it did not feel special to me. I truly hope the Emira brings some Elise handling, steering and suspension feelings back, with some additional comfort and refinement.
The GT4 is not at home on North American roads. I kinda feel like it's a bit boring to drive on the streets when you start driving it on the track. You always have the feeling that you are not exploiting the car at all when street driving...

Cachaco131

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
The GT4 is not at home on North American roads. I kinda feel like it's a bit boring to drive on the streets when you start driving it on the track. You always have the feeling that you are not exploiting the car at all when street driving...
I chose the LA crest highway because it is not street per se, it's where most US reviewers film their cars (refer to list of Matt Farahs reviews). While not a track, it's a good venue to assess a car with tons of twisties.

It's of course a very capable car. I'm referring to the "specialness" feeling. There was not a single moment where I thought "I have to buy this is car".

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I chose the LA crest highway because it is not street per se, it's where most US reviewers film their cars (refer to list of Matt Farahs reviews). While not a track, it's a good venue to assess a car with tons of twisties.

It's of course a very capable car. I'm referring to the "specialness" feeling. There was not a single moment where I thought "I have to buy this is car".
I suspect that's where the GT4 RS will give you that "driving something special feeling".

But you might end up deaf if you drive spiritedly without ear plugs (I wonder, are there any published interior sound pressure dbA ratings?) and it will shake your bones around on harsher road surfaces (GT4 RS spring rates are 50+% harder than the GT4). So it will be a bit crazy and special, but very limited in application. Definitely not suitable as a daily driver.

The Emira should be the perfect all rounder - fully capable as a daily, sounds great (in V6 guise at least) and feels connected to the road. That's why I'm getting it. I personally like some mild bone rattling in a sports car so ordered the sports suspension setup.

Last edited:

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I know this was comparing the GT4 vs Emira - I wanted to get ppl's opinion on 718 Spyder vs Emira? Given the option which one would you choose ? Assuming a 20K delta between Spyder and Emira, would it be worth the extra 20K?

SlavaUkraini

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I know this was comparing the GT4 vs Emira - I wanted to get ppl's opinion on 718 Spyder vs Emira? Given the option which one would you choose ? Assuming a 20K delta between Spyder and Emira, would it be worth the extra 20K?
The Spyder is very cool. It is a little bit less of a track-oriented car than the GT4 (although you can still obviously take it there, that is certainly not its primary purpose. Obviously, what you gain is the option to put the top down and be able to go for some seriously spirited drives with the lettuce flowing in the wind. Of course, with that price delta, you are also getting the other GT improvements, 4.0L NA, etc. I would say it is absolutely worth $20. In fact, I would think it would be worth more than that on the secondary market one year from now. I would expect it to be priced much higher than that when all the options are said and down.

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
For the same price as an Emira, I'd be a GT4 or Spyder owner instead, but that isn't the reality of buying a Porsche right now.

SlavaUkraini

Emira Fan
Reaction score
For the same price as an Emira, I'd be a GT4 or Spyder owner instead, but that isn't the reality of buying a Porsche right now.
They are not the same car. Why would you expect them to be the same price?

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
They are not the same car. Why would you expect them to be the same price?

Obviously not what I meant, but an FE Emira is roughly the same MSRP as a base GT4 / Spyder. The difference is you can't get a base GT4 / Spyder @ MSRP.

Cachaco131

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
I mentioned already somewhere above my experience with a GT4. I was expecting more and did not come away blown away. I did not drop the Turo rental and said "wow, I need to buy one". I hope the Emira will "feel" more special. That's a subjective call, but an important one to me. Now, suspension and steering feel is more objective and I also hope the Emira will be better. Now, the RS must be quite something.

My 2c, the Spyder looks more special than the hard top and would add to the experience. But I would drive the Emira first and compare in any case.

And I don't want to be associated to most Porsche owners, especially when the hard top looks quite similar to the GTS. Maybe a GT3 would change my mind but not willing to drop 250k for that.

SlavaUkraini

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Obviously not what I meant, but an FE Emira is roughly the same MSRP as a base GT4 / Spyder. The difference is you can't get a base GT4 / Spyder @ MSRP.
You can get a GT4/Spyder @MSRP and it has been noted on this forum by myself and verified by another member or two that it is possible.

EDIT: Not in California probably. Unfortunate for you.

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
You can get a GT4/Spyder @MSRP and it has been noted on this forum by myself and verified by another member or two that it is possible.

EDIT: Not in California probably. Unfortunate for you.
Yeah I've tried -- if it were possible I'd be in a Porsche already.

eclat2emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I did cross shop the GT4 with the Emira, but it only took a few phone calls to make my decision easy on the Lotus.
When I called the Porsche dealerships and expressed interest in a GT4 both salesman said to me that in order "to qualify" for a GT car allocation you had to have owned many Porsches in the past, and the woman was very, snobby snooty about this.
I told her I owned a Boxster for 10 years and she said that really doesn't help my case.
As soon as I heard the words "qualify for" I was immediately turned off, I just want to buy a new car, so the Lotus wins hands down for accessibility.
Another thing that turned me off the GT4 was its extremely tall gearing, hitting 84 kms in first gear and 137 kms in second gear.
I plan on getting the manual Emira in order to row my own gears.
With the GT4 gearing I would hardly get out of second gear, without severely breaking the law, and risking losing my drivers license.
I'm just hoping the gearing in the Emira is shorter for more fun.
Does anyone have an idea on the gearing in the Emira manual car??
That's really interesting feedback on the Porsche attempted buying experience. The funny thing is, there are some people who when you tell them they can't join your club, even in a really snotty way, want to join it even more!