How many crossed shopped the GT4?

Magma

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Snobby may appeal to some but it turns me off big time. If I call to order a car and my money isn’t good enough for you then I’ll shop elsewhere. I’m not trying to join a secret society I just want a quality product.
This problem is resolved by buying used. But I get what you're saying. And not all models are like that either.

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
This problem is resolved by buying used. But I get what you're saying. And not all models are like that either.
Used prices in the Uk are greater than mrsp due to the limited supply of spiders and gt4’s. There’s also a 2 year waiting list for gts models I hear.

p.rob

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Used prices in the Uk are greater than mrsp due to the limited supply of spiders and gt4’s. There’s also a 2 year waiting list for gts models I hear.
that's not specific to porsche though. My toyota representative said last week there is a 2 years waiting list for a Rav4 Prime lol

DaaS

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I've spent some time in a GT4... on public roads. Yes, the tall gearing annoyed me. Going into 4th risked stalling because muscle memory wanted me to keep shifting gears, but the car wasn't asking for it. It got weird. Other than that, suspension was fairly stiff and clutch was hard. It wasn't a very street friendly car for me. It will probably be a great track car and take abuse all day long. Allocation or not, it's not even on my wish list as a weekend toy :confused:

~el~jefe~

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
most of the replies are fanboy replies... I totally get the anger you can feel when being told by a dealer you can't order one, I've had a hard time with this for years as well.

But saying the GT4 is a one trick poney and that it needs a turbo and it does not justify it's price, that's far fetched lol. You can get a Cayman S for half the price and you'll get your turbo. I've owned a GT4 since 3 years and I'm very anxious to get my Emira as well. I personally think both cars will have their time to shine in different occasions, but I'm sure both are awsome cars very fun in every circumstances. The Emira really needs a decent bucket seats option like the GT4, those seats alone create such a sens of occasion.

One thing I can tell you right now, the general experience when buying a porsche is nothing like what it is buying a lotus, what a messy experience I've had so far.
I currently do not experience anything at all. It is so messy looking into a Lotus, that there is nothing to look at. And no information. And no interaction with the company. Porsche gives a pretty concrete answer to things, and the assistance and information is pretty good.

But they will take 110 deposits. Lotus New Jersey, recommended on her for its claim of many orders placed there and so high allocations, took about 110 deposits.

Now, I asked if they have an idea of allocations. I do not want to prepare for a purchase of a car that I will not get until 2024. I want to drive something in 2022 or right after new year's eve. They have no clue. Not if 1 car will be available or 500 a year. NOthing. yay. Makes me want to give them 2500 for nothing. sucks.

I

ksegg

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
At least porsche has the decency to tell you that all allocations are allocated and that you won't get one.
Porsche telling you to F off, you're not good enough to get an allocation is a courtesy? :D

Funniest shit I've read in a while.

Their allocations are not the usual first come first serve basis but more "who on our special roster deserves one".

At least with Lotus, I know I'll get the car I ordered. Don't give a rat's ass if it takes 1-2 years. They sold me a car at MSRP, and they're honoring its delivery.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
I currently do not experience anything at all. It is so messy looking into a Lotus, that there is nothing to look at. And no information. And no interaction with the company. Porsche gives a pretty concrete answer to things, and the assistance and information is pretty good.

But they will take 110 deposits. Lotus New Jersey, recommended on her for its claim of many orders placed there and so high allocations, took about 110 deposits.

Now, I asked if they have an idea of allocations. I do not want to prepare for a purchase of a car that I will not get until 2024. I want to drive something in 2022 or right after new year's eve. They have no clue. Not if 1 car will be available or 500 a year. NOthing. yay. Makes me want to give them 2500 for nothing. sucks.

I

FWIW - My deposit is with Lotus of NJ as well.. they are one of the larger volume dealers (I believe the largest in the NE) and expect to have ~40 allocations for this year. It also helps that they are on the east coast near the port, so our Emiras should be arriving sooner than later. I'm preparing for a winter delivery though... at this point I might as well just wait for base edition pricing, options, and colors and take a spring 2023 delivery. We'll see...

Magma

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
We have similar problems here as well, but you have to remember, this isn't normal and will not be forever.

SJR202

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Same problem with Porsche UK. I've had a 987 Boxster Spyder since new, enquired about the 718 Spyder and was told I wasnt one of their 'preferred buyers' so they wouldnt be able to help me any further. I asked what that meant, and it was said "we have long standing friends of the dealership who have bought many cars over the years and we like to look after to ensure they have first refusal on any limited or GT model". Sad that as an enthusiast who loves cars and keeps them as long as possible it rules you out of models when you dont buy an SUV from them every year.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Same problem with Porsche UK. I've had a 987 Boxster Spyder since new, enquired about the 718 Spyder and was told I wasnt one of their 'preferred buyers' so they wouldnt be able to help me any further. I asked what that meant, and it was said "we have long standing friends of the dealership who have bought many cars over the years and we like to look after to ensure they have first refusal on any limited or GT model". Sad that as an enthusiast who loves cars and keeps them as long as possible it rules you out of models when you dont buy an SUV from them every year.
I really hate this. Just doesn't sit right for me. Porsche should at least take some of this allocation back in house and do it as a lottery (as some other brands do), or even a lottery plus a personal statement. Most cars go to influencers or high profile media folk, people that have either no interest in driving them more than 500 miles a year (and why would they, probably have 29 other cars..), used purely for long term investment pieces like art, or immediately flipped for a profit.

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I really hate this. Just doesn't sit right for me. Porsche should at least take some of this allocation back in house and do it as a lottery (as some other brands do), or even a lottery plus a personal statement. Most cars go to influencers or high profile media folk, people that have either no interest in driving them more than 500 miles a year (and why would they, probably have 29 other cars..), used purely for long term investment pieces like art, or immediately flipped for a profit.
Porsche NOT for the Drivers!

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Porsche cars are generally great to drive - I’ve taken several out on track days and for test drives. But this kind of customer experience guarantees I will never buy one.

ksegg

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Most cars go to influencers or high profile media folk, people that have either no interest in driving them more than 500 miles a year (and why would they, probably have 29 other cars..), used purely for long term investment pieces like art, or immediately flipped for a profit.
Cars are for driving. Not for sticking in garages so they don't move for fear of depreciation.

I'll never understand that kind of logic.

Last edited:
G

Guest316

I have never owned a lotus. At the time of the Esprit's and F355's (my favorite two cars from that era) I always wanted a lotus. It had a more exclusive feel to it, and if you owned a lotus you were more of a car guy than owning a ferrari because you appreciated the capabilities over the brand name. Moving forward to the current times, when I am doing well enough for myself to be able to afford these toys, I am very disappointed with porsche. My cousin has 6 911's, my brother has a 991.1 S, my best friend has a 996 gt3 and an '84 911, my other friend has 993 turbo and a 993 targa, who are on display at Porsche of Austin. I love porsches, they are fine cars, but they are not exotics, and the prices that are being asked are ridiculous. A few years ago I could go to the Porsche dealer and pick almost any car off the showroom and leave. I don't know what happened to the world, but it seems that everyone got rich all off a sudden, and everyone is able to buy a porsche, and that created a huge demand. Instead of increasing production to meet the numbers, I feel that porch figured they can make more profit without the cost of more production by creating more of a demand by throttling production.
I went to porsche before I ordered the Emira, and they told me it was a 2 year wait for a run of the mill 911S, and they are not taking orders at the moment, and even if they did, they move previous owners ahead of you even if you order ahead of them. But what irked me the most, was the snobbiness of the sales guy. He could have told me all of this with a humble attitude, and looked a little apologetic for not being able to provide me with a product that they should have. Instead, this guy who is a sales guy on the floor at a car dealer ship, looks down at me with disdain as if I am inferior to him, kinda like "get out of here peasant, we don't serve your kind over here."
That is the attitude that will cost Porsche in the long run. We bought an X5 two years ago, we are trading it in for an X7 now because we need the third row, I put an order for an M8 coupe, and waiting to see what the new 7 Series will be like. I am not trying to show off, I am trying to show that I am a serious car buyer, probably more serious than most porsche owners, but they have lost my business. I used to be a mercedes guy, but Mercedes of Austin has the same attitude as porsche, and I have been buying a new BMW every two years since 2013, because my sales guy is awesome. I told my wife that if Chris moves to Hyundai, we will start driving Hyundai's. That is how important the buying experience is.

OP
M

Maverick1

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Cars are for driving. Not for sticking in garages so they don't move for fear of depreciation.

I'll never understand that kind of logic.
If someone wants to buy a car and stick it in their car Museum/collection, let it be a hypercar....a Koenigsegg, Pagani, Ferrari, Lamborghini Etc not a car that us common folk can afford, ie over $250,000+.

OP
M

Maverick1

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I have never owned a lotus. At the time of the Esprit's and F355's (my favorite two cars from that era) I always wanted a lotus. It had a more exclusive feel to it, and if you owned a lotus you were more of a car guy than owning a ferrari because you appreciated the capabilities over the brand name. Moving forward to the current times, when I am doing well enough for myself to be able to afford these toys, I am very disappointed with porsche. My cousin has 6 911's, my brother has a 991.1 S, my best friend has a 996 gt3 and an '84 911, my other friend has 993 turbo and a 993 targa, who are on display at Porsche of Austin. I love porsches, they are fine cars, but they are not exotics, and the prices that are being asked are ridiculous. A few years ago I could go to the Porsche dealer and pick almost any car off the showroom and leave. I don't know what happened to the world, but it seems that everyone got rich all off a sudden, and everyone is able to buy a porsche, and that created a huge demand. Instead of increasing production to meet the numbers, I feel that porch figured they can make more profit without the cost of more production by creating more of a demand by throttling production.
I went to porsche before I ordered the Emira, and they told me it was a 2 year wait for a run of the mill 911S, and they are not taking orders at the moment, and even if they did, they move previous owners ahead of you even if you order ahead of them. But what irked me the most, was the snobbiness of the sales guy. He could have told me all of this with a humble attitude, and looked a little apologetic for not being able to provide me with a product that they should have. Instead, this guy who is a sales guy on the floor at a car dealer ship, looks down at me with disdain as if I am inferior to him, kinda like "get out of here peasant, we don't serve your kind over here."
That is the attitude that will cost Porsche in the long run. We bought an X5 two years ago, we are trading it in for an X7 now because we need the third row, I put an order for an M8 coupe, and waiting to see what the new 7 Series will be like. I am not trying to show off, I am trying to show that I am a serious car buyer, probably more serious than most porsche owners, but they have lost my business. I used to be a mercedes guy, but Mercedes of Austin has the same attitude as porsche, and I have been buying a new BMW every two years since 2013, because my sales guy is awesome. I told my wife that if Chris moves to Hyundai, we will start driving Hyundai's. That is how important the buying experience is.
Hey don't knock Hyundai, I drive a Veloster N, a great, fun, manual little hatchback.😉😜

ksegg

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score

I personally don't understand where the snobby attitude and disdain for potential new customers comes from. Isn't the point of a business to make money?

What's really amusing to me is my 2020 M2 Competition is a far rarer car than a 911.

The M2 CS is even rarer, as it was only built for 1 year and was the last hurrah for the end of F87 production.

I should be the one who's being snobby to Porsche for having cars that I see on the road every 10 minutes in Atlanta.

:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

If someone wants to buy a car and stick it in their car Museum/collection, let it be a hypercar....a Koenigsegg, Pagani, Ferrari, Lamborghini Etc not a car that us common folk can afford, ie over $250,000+.
100% agreed. Koenigsegg Jesko Absolut for me, if I had that kind of money.

p.rob

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I guess time will tell. I'm as confident as you are with the ability of Lotus to fulfill all orders.
Now that allocations are out int the US, curious to see how some members think that comment has aged ;)

Jimblob

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I sold a 991.2 GT3 - Crayon (chalk white) clubsport spec to get into the Emira! The GT3 was fantastic but having that much money tied up in a car that scared the sh!t out of me was too much. I’m hoping that the thrills from the Emira come at a lot slower speeds that the Porsche and at a much cheaper price point. I was doing a little over 7,000 miles a year in the Porsche and people were starting to say I’m mad… depreciation and all that. The Emira just makes sense on every level for me - providing that it is the drivers car that it’s purported to be!